Front range avy classes?

Looking for anyone who has recomendations or first hand experience with different places that offer AVY I classes. Looking not necissarily for the cheapest, but definitely for the best class/education I can get about CO backcountry. By December I am planning to have my Avy gear (probe/pole/shovel), so anyone that is willing to help this BC jong get aquainted in the high country would be greatly appreciated. PM or respond, thanks.

(I posted this last year but was not able to follow through on the class)
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Well, the two programs that I have familiarity with don't exist, so I guess I'll just use this as a post pad. I took my Avy I from Berthoud Snowcats, which unfortunately is no more. Also, last I heard the Avy classes from Colorado Mountain School are in a state of flux. Mark Kelly, the guide that did the classes really knows his stuff, but might not be with CMS anymore. Don't know if he's doing avy courses this season, but if he is I would recommend him.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

Crizunk, shout me a holla dawg!
    Last edited by Yossarian; 10-19-2004 at 12:18 PM.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

I took one through Alpine World Ascents , it was good, not great. I was particularly impressed with Markus, one of the owners/lead instructors, he's from Switzerland and had a little less bravado, and a little more experience than the other instructors. Field work was at Berthoud. Overall, I'd recommend them.

Thanks Homerjay. I too am looking to take a class this season. Here is some infor from the Alpine World Ascents website:

Avalanche 1 The Level 1 Course provides a complete introduction to the avalanche phenomenon. At the core of this course are topics such as recognizing avalanche terrain, group management and human factor, go/no-go decision making, and rescue techniques. This is an ideal first course for those new to travel in avalanche terrain and a great review or upgrade for anyone who has some experience or prior training but feels they need a skills "tune-up." Designed as a stand-alone course for backcountry travelers, the Level 1 Course also is a lead into the Level 2 Course for those who wish to progress. Pre-requisites are intermediate skiing/riding skills, or travel on snowshoes, and the ability to travel in the Winter backcountry for 4-5 hours. 1 evening and 2 full days; includes an updated and extensive student handout.

December 10-12 2004 > Boulder/Berthoud Pass
    January 14-16 2005 > Boulder/Berthoud Pass
    January 21-23 2005 > Boulder/ Rocky Mtn National Park
    February 18-20 2005 > Boulder/ Rocky Mtn National Park
    February 25-27 2005 > Boulder/Berthoud Pass
    March 11-13 2005 > Boulder/ Rocky Mtn National Park
    March 25-27 2005 > Boulder/Berthoud Pass

Homerjay question: So do you need a AT setup for this course. Where do you sleep for the evening?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I believe Neptune Mountaineering has a class affiliated with it,give em a call
    @ 303 499-8866
    Calmer than you dude

BZ - you need some way to travel uphill on snow. We had knuckledraggers with snowshoes, alpine gear with trekkers/skins, telemarketers, and AT skiers. We had a guy on light touring gear with plastic mountaineering boots. Watching him try to make turns on windpacked crap snow was hilarious. They'll rent you whatever you don't have gear wise. My group was all tele skiers of varying ability levels.

Also, I slept at my girlfriend's house in Boulder. I don't think that's an option for you. The Berthoud field days started with a brief classroom session in Empire, then we headed up to the pass. Empire is only like 40 mins from Golden. You could stay up there if you wanted, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    Also, I slept at my girlfriend's house in Boulder. I don't think that's an option for you.
    Ahh, come on man, share the wealth!

So now I have to pay for the class, then buy a beacon, probe, shovel, then buy some new skis with some AT bindings, then some skins. Shit man, this course is going to cost me like over $1500. Yeah, I know, I am preaching to the choir!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I'm moving in the same direction - get the equipment and attend a class this season. Here is what I dug up. Info or opinions are welcome.

Bryan Mountain Nordic School. $90 Class training in Lousville. Field training where?
    http://www.bmnsp.org/BMNSPav.htm

Backcountry Access $450 3 days in Silverton
    http://www.bcaccess.com/education/learning.php

Keystone ski patrol offers a class (or at least did last year) $100
    including equipment rental (970) 496-4523.

Rocky Mountain Sports magazine usually lists classes in their winter special.

REI might have something as well.

Try the Colorado Avalanche Information Center...........full listing of classes, providers and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The link below is to the education stuff.

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanc....aspx?tabid=54
    representin is illmatic

Here's a few in Boulder:

Level I Avalanche 10367 12/7/2004 12/12/2004
    Patrol: R005 - Bryan Mt Nordic
    Instructor: Jordan Lipp
    jlipp@umich.edu

Level I Avalanche 10368 1/18/2005 1/23/2005
    Patrol: R005 - Bryan Mt Nordic
    Instructor: Jordan Lipp
    jlipp@umich.edu

Level I Avalanche 10517 1/10/2005 1/15/2005
    Patrol: R021 - Eldora Mtn Resort
    Instructor: Matthew E. Arveson
    arveson@hotmail.com

If you want to drive to Fort Collins, Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol offers avy courses, I think they're probably having their avy 1 in late Jan/feb. You probably wouldn't want to drive that far, but if you do shoot me a pm and I'll ask them when it is.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!