Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Buzz, It's probably a short term mind set that will ease up once the baby is there and she realizes that life does in fact continue. Both years my daughters were born I just learned that the baby comes first. Instead of lamenting what you don't have, embrace what you do. Cherish this time with your wife and do everything you can to keep her happy.

At the end of the day you will either look back at this experience as the magical one it could be, or as one of the low points in your marriage. Sacrifice now mate, it will be worth it in the long run.

(and don't forget that if you go skiing every sunday on your & her day off, leaving her at home feeling abandoned and that you don't care about her - your life will become hell)

--this is the same girl that went to the Hood summit with you this summer. She will snap back to her old ways soon.

Good words, frz.

Yeah, DC summit, definitely. I didn't say I wasn't going to do any skiing, just that normally by this time I've already booked a trip to Whistler, bought some new gear, and spent lots of spare time thinking about skiing. None of the above so far.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater
    Buzz, It's probably a short term mind set that will ease up once the baby is there and she realizes that life does in fact continue. Both years my daughters were born I just learned that the baby comes first. Instead of lamenting what you don't have, embrace what you do. Cherish this time with your wife and do everything you can to keep her happy.

At the end of the day you will either look back at this experience as the magical one it could be, or as one of the low points in your marriage. Sacrifice now mate, it will be worth it in the long run.

(and don't forget that if you go skiing every sunday on your & her day off, leaving her at home feeling abandoned and that you don't care about her - your life will become hell)

--this is the same girl that went to the Hood summit with you this summer. She will snap back to her old ways soon.
    Yep, so true. I have been a freakin mess lately. Not thinking in the correct mind set.

True, she will snap back.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Smile Kids, Skiing and Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    Guess I'll be the lonely female voice who chimes into this testosterone-laden lament. At our house, I'm the one buying toys, planning trips, ready to jump in the car when it snows...regardless of whatever "chores" await at home.

And my hubby is a little worried that I steamrolled ahead and (a) got season passes, (b) got twintips at the ski swap 2 weeks ago and (c) want to go to Utah, Jackson, and CO this year. Oh, and I signed my kid up for the Killington ski club...practically ensuring we have to drive up almost every weekend. I've been sternly scolded to "tighten up on the spending" very recently.

That said, he loves to snowboard and is quite possibly even more gung ho than I am once actually *on* the mountain. But somebody has to be the voice of reason, and I guess he's right...we can't quite adopt ski bum status until the kid is raised and out of the house. Plus his frugal ways keep us feeling financially comfortable, and we're even lookin' at getting a house in VT in the near future! As somebody said, family life has its own rewards and it's well worth it.

But I still want to play and I want more toys dammit!!!!

Sprite
    Damn, girl! You ARE my twin, but my hubby is the one who wants to spend all the money. I just beg and plead with my family to go, and I do it without them if need be! Less than 2 hours from the slopes makes this an easy treat (read "Girls Day Out!").

It's well worth the time and patience with the young 'uns. Watching them ski down the hill IN FRONT OF YOU is one of lifes greatest joys. When the kids were little and it was too cold for them to ski, we'd take turns sitting with them in the lodge, sipping hot cocoas (or Irish Coffees ) and just hanging out while the other one got in a few runs (its amazing how fast they can be without kids!) I highly recommend having 2 close in age and buying radios so they can sit out a few runs together without you worrying! What the Hell...in a perfect world they'd just be born knowing how to ski.

Another cool thing about skiing with your kids is that you can really improve your form because you're trying to go so slow and turn so much so you don't get ahead of them. BTW, kids love all the cool things that guys complain SOME girls don't like as much as them (rails, jumps, glades, crashes....)

Being pregnant and not able to ski certainly can add to feelings of sorrow and ski envy...Be nice to her. It isn't easy being two..
    "Shhhh! I hear a snowflake!"

Quote Originally Posted by skiingjulie
    Damn, girl! You ARE my twin, but my hubby is the one who wants to spend all the money. I just beg and plead with my family to go, and I do it without them if need be! Less than 2 hours from the slopes makes this an easy treat (read "Girls Day Out!").
    Pfffft! I tried to schedule a ski day with a gf & w/o MrNohills and he pouted about it.

I highly recommend having 2 close in age and buying radios so they can sit out a few runs together without you worrying! What the Hell...in a perfect world they'd just be born knowing how to ski.
    Mine are 4 year apart and in March, they kept each other company along with 2 others from our youth group, so MrNohills & I had fun exploring.

Another cool thing about skiing with your kids is that you can really improve your form because you're trying to go so slow and turn so much so you don't get ahead of them. BTW, kids love all the cool things that guys complain SOME girls don't like as much as them (rails, jumps, glades, crashes....)
    That is, if you can get them to turn, too. Thing 1 is an extreme skier and just straightlines to the bottom. Thing 2 likes the kickers.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.