Thread: Jay Peak virgin

Jay Peak virgin

I will be heading to Jay after a meeting in Montreal on Thursday with plans to ski Friday ( happens to be my b-day) and possibly Saturday. I may head over to Mad river on saturday depending on conditions, etc. Looking to see if any mags could show me around a bit, or any advice provided would be appreciated.
    Red-i-XS

I won't be there this weekend, but am happy to offer advice. What kind of stuff are you looking to ski?

WestCoastPDR Guest
    JPH, please use the PM function for this advice

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastPDR View Post
    JPH, please use the PM function for this advice
    Why?

Any advice that I'm going to give is going to be stuff that can be found on the map.

Does he like skiing steep, double fall-line bumps? He should check out powerline and kitzbuhel. Steep fast groomers? Ski the can-am first thing in the morning, ride the triple and lap the Jet and the Haynes a few times, then head over to JFK and Green Mountain Boys in the afternoon. Want to ski trees? You can start with open, lower angle stuff like Buck Woods, Buckaroo Bonzai, and the Stateside Glade. When you're ready to step it up a bit look into North Glade, Canyonlands, and Everglade. Ready to get serious in the trees? Try Staircase, Valhalla, and Andre's Paradise. If you're looking to really see the best, steepest terrain the mountain has to offer head to Green Beret, Tuckerman's, and the Face.

Damn. I kinda sound like a commercial. Sorry bout the SPAM.

It sounded like the OP has never been to Jay before, and was just looking for a little info. The stuff I just offered gives a lot more insight than a simple trail map would, but is far from revealing stashes.

If I could be at the mountain this weekend I'd happily ski with this guy, at least for a run or two. If he was cool maybe I'd ski all day. Maybe I'd bring him some places to look for fresh snow. Maybe not. I can't be, so I can recommend some trails, and possibly hook him up with a guide. If I do, it will be up to them to decide where to bring him.

Thanks for the info JPH. That's what I was looking for. Just a starting point to gets things going.
    Red-i-XS

Jay is a pretty good mountain to just explore, especially on tramside (nothing wrong with state side either, everything just seems more obvious, to me at least, on tram side).

Like JPH was saying there is a lot of win right on the trail map. Just spend the day ducking in and out glades as you see fit. Assuming conditions are good, you'll have a fun day if you do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Digging up an oldie here, gonna go bust my VT cherry this week, Jay peak on a saturday, might be fun.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    Digging up an oldie here, gonna go bust my VT cherry this week, Jay peak on a saturday, might be fun.
    Same.

Props JayPowHound for the advice above, great starting point.

and.... It's Nukin in Burlington!

A little work today, some night skiing tonight, Stowe, Friday, Jay Peak Saturday and possibly Whiteface on the way home Sunday.
    Last edited by SuperChief; 02-28-2020 at 08:41 PM.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!