Bike Roller Questions

I think I am going to get some rollers, but I know nothing about them. I don't want to spend very much money since I won't be using them that much. I am looking at the CycleOps PVC rollers for around $179. The Aluminum version is around $250. Is it worth the extra money? I know krietler are the best, but I don't really want to spend $300+. Is there anything I should be looking out for if I buy some used? Thanks.

i bought some 5 years back at performance
    their store brand ones were like 99$ on special
    all aluminum
    solid build, no slop.
    3" rollers
    generally impressed

never ridden anything else, but i honestly dont see how anthing can be that much better unless theyre those ones that are on a track so they slide back and forth
    forget what theyre called

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    I also had a good experience with Performance rollers. Used them sporatically over 15 years. Never a problem.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

All I know of rollers is watching others use them. The biggest issue I see regularly is one of the bands coming off. The person then has to get off and fix that. Last week we were doing a trainer ride and 1 person brought rollers (all the rest had rear wheel trainers) and this guy hopped off 3 or so times fixing the front band. A used one that has been sitting could have issues like this- either needing new bands that are not stretched and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post

never ridden anything else, but i honestly dont see how anthing can be that much better unless theyre those ones that are on a track so they slide back and forth
    forget what theyre called
    E Motion Rollers. They are stupid easy to ride, and really fun to see how sloppy you can ride, and not crash!
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    All I know of rollers is watching others use them. The biggest issue I see regularly is one of the bands coming off. The person then has to get off and fix that. Last week we were doing a trainer ride and 1 person brought rollers (all the rest had rear wheel trainers) and this guy hopped off 3 or so times fixing the front band. A used one that has been sitting could have issues like this- either needing new bands that are not stretched and loose.
    I've got 5 years on my Kreitlers with the current band and way more hours on them than I'd like to remember and not once has the bad come off/loosened/whatever. I bet the band issue has something to do with him being retarded and not the band...

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    I also have Kreiters - just store them folded and the band doesn't get stretched. No prob.

BTW it took me a while to figure out how to use the stupid things without immediately falling off. Turns out I had the length adjustment wrong; definitely important to get that front roller in just the right spot. Once I figured that out I learned quickly. Much nicer than rear wheel trainers in keeping boredom at bay. And I have to think it keeps a lot of those tiny balancing muscles in form during the winter.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    I am looking at the CycleOps PVC rollers for around $179. The Aluminum version is around $250. Is it worth the extra money?
    Yes.

You might see if someone has a pair laying around first that you can borrow as some people love them some hate them. After borrowing a pair you will likely know how much you are willing to spend on them if you still like them. I for one think they are the greatest, but thats just my opinion.

Cyclops and performance brand aren't bad, sometimes used kreitlers can be had for a song.