Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2010 Northern Rockies Fishing Conditions, (MT,ID,WY...)

Might be a little early but what the hell... For the first time that I can remember, I simply cannot get motivated on ski season. I'm diggin on Winter, just can't find the fire to get out and ski like I normally can. Maybe it is due to limited free time or having some extra lbs on me but it skiing just ain't doin it for me this season. Not that I think much about fishing when I am skiing untracked Teton powder or even making laps at JHMR but I am ready to start the fishing season! How 'bout you guys?

I'm starting to get stoked on pre-run off fishing. Midges, bwo's, mid-late winter nymphing. Thinking about a few rivers and lakes I am gonna try and fish that I have never been to. What's going to be on first? Time to clean a couple lines, make sure the reels are working properly, get rid of the funk left over from last season in my waders. This year, I'm starting to bring out the books/guide books and maps early. I know all of them, cover-to-cover and corner-to-corner but the anticipation of the next season has got me. Skiing will keep my free time occupied for the most part for the next month to six weeks but I've got the itch.

End.

-----

We are having a low snow year in the Tetons and in general around the greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. I have been talking with some people on the west coast who are surfers and study the pacific buoy data. For now anyway, it looks like nothing major is brewing as far as storms and what is coming about looks to be another set of splitters, missing or dusting the Tetons. We need some moisture! It would be a shame to see a big set back from the last two good water years. Should be interesting to see how the dams of the Yellowstone region are managed this year!

As for a fishing report...I don't have one. Just thought I'd get the thread going cuz it is on my mind. It's been cold here. Any major warm spell will get me out on the Snake and I will get back.

Tight lines for the year to everyone! Looking forward to a Fishing Summit.

Ditto on several points.
    Skiing just isn't that fun when the snow is shit, and you have to battle heinous traffic just to ski it.

First time in my life I've ever wished for it to be August.... sigh.

Drank too much wine Saturday night so I scrapped my Deckers plan yesterday. Should have some thread fodder real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post

Tight lines for the year to everyone! Looking forward to a Fishing Summit.
    A summer fishing summit (or at least once it is warm enough to not camp on snow) in the Northern Rockies would be sweet. If you do it during warm enough weather that I can ride my motorcyle up, I am 100% in for this!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Wait... Northern Rockies. I might not be allowed to post in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derider View Post
    Wait... Northern Rockies. I might not be allowed to post in here.
    I think we'll allow you CO folks and Utards to post here. After all, you guys post more in these threads anyway.

OK cool. I'm just visiting anyways

We've been getting good snow here in SE Wyoming. As far as fishing goes, I'm not really into parking my ass on a frozen lake and fishing out of a hole in the ice. The skiing has been great, and I have heard good reports from the tailwater on the North Platte up on Gray Reef. Other than that, not much fishing around here right now.

For Christmas I got some sweet new maps and I spend evenings planning some new fishing spots in my region later this year. I try to do a little recon on my way to and from my local ski hill, but with all the snow and ice it is difficult to get an idea of how some of these places will fish.

I need to park my ass in front of my vise this winter/spring, especially since I got a new desk for it.

Looks like my first fishing of 2010 will take place in Florida next month when I take a business trip to Tampa. Otherwise I am looking forward to getting on some tailwater this spring.

I am planning to fish a ton this summer. I even convinced the wife to let me start looking into getting a pop-up camper trailer this year so that we can take some overnight family trips that just happen to be near great water.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Schwerty - thanks for getting this thread going. We've been having a great ski season up this way so far, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting fired up for fishing. These big H's that seem to be frequently parking themselves over the region are getting me to think more and more about pre-run off and summer fishing.

Lexi-Bell and I were just talking the other day that the next time we haven't seen snow in a while and we have some extended high pressure in the forecast, we're thinking of heading north to the Missouri. Anyone interested?

I agree - let's talk 2010 Northern Rockies Fishing Summit. I'm happy to spearhead things. Who knows if we can get something organized, but it's worth a shot.

I'll get a thread going.

I'd love to hit the Mo but don't think it's gonna happen for me. Outside of the propsed Summit we should hit Jellystone sometime around the opener for a day. Crowds bug me up there but there is usually some decent fishing a short walk from the car. Depends on wha Mother Nature throws at us though.

^Hey Schwerty, what part of the Jellystone do you like? Grew up near it, but never have really fished it.

They don't call it the Warm River for nothing. Sunny 40 degree days even have risers working, but I stick with nymphs. Did I mention it has a groomed trail along 5 miles of 54 degree spring water? Combine it with some snow shoes, x-country skis or some brappin' and you got yourself a day! Hint: don't waste your time on fast sections or dark shady areas. Open Jan 1 - Mar 30 for winter C&R season, keeps getting better as season progresses, can be a bit slow while the days are short and the sun is low to the south of the canyon. Usually get five or six 8-12 inchers on the worst of days.

Schwerty, I expect a full report from you on this. I still don't have the urge to go quite yet.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-12-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Sorry - a bit off topic, but...

Neckdeep and Schwerty - I will be in Driggs in early June on a family trip. We invited my friend from Texas (who played guide for me on the Gulf Coast and bass fishing when I went down there last summer) and his wife and kid. One of the days we are there I want to take him out fly fishing. Will that still be a tad early for the Teton River? I know right now runoff is hard to judge. (we are also going to do the tourist thing with them, taking them up to Yellowstone, GTNP, Teton Village, Jackson shopping, etc)

He is a very experienced fisherman, but not so much on the fly, so I figured the Teton was a good, easy place to take him. He is a bass fisherman and used conventional gear, but on this trip he will be using one of my fly rods. Jackson side is not out of the question either, but the Snake will be pretty swollen at that time I am assuming.

Looks like we will be there the week of the 7th-11th, all midweek. We will stop in at the Three Rivers shop if you will be there, Neckdeep (didn't you say you are usually there on weekdays?)

Anyway, that is the loose plan at the moment. I'd certainly be up for meeting up with one or both of you to fish as a group if either of you can.

Also, I need to find out if he will be able to pack his waders along; they are flying to Denver. I have an extra set of wading boots but no extra waders. Anyplace in Driggs/JH do rental waders?

Cheers!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Follow up to my post above - I know that early June is not the best time for great fishing in the area; any tips for where else to go in the area? I think he and I will be able to get away for most of the day. I don't really want to drive TOO far, but heading back over to Jackson or a reasonable distance from Driggs is ok. I'd love to keep the driving time to under an hour if possible, but if there is someplace REALLY worth it, we can probably hit it.

There will likely be some options for you, 72. Get in touch closer to the time you arrive. As you said, the Snake over here won't be your best bet but we will get you on some
    fish within and hours drive.

720, there is a lot of good June fishing to be had in the Henry's fork watershed. In fact, in low snowpack years (which this is looking like so far) I have seen runoff basically over by late May, even on the Teton, twice. On opener in 07, I forded the Teton in the canyon at a spot not crossable until July and the salmonfly/golden nymph migration was in full swing. In fact, I had some very good days down there last season at high water, 1 foot vis conditions. If you are content to high stick heavy #4 salmonfly nymphs along the bank, you can catch a lot of fish in there at flows up to 3000cfs. Getting around is the hard part. The Valley section usually starts a little slower and later than the canyon(the giant stonefly emergence makes all the dif) but streamers can produce some fish until the sallies and caddis start poppin up. Flood irrigation operations add muck to the valley section, that doesn't help the early action up there. The top section(fox-teton) never fishes well until the weedbeds fill in after runoff ends and the water warms.

Of course, the Henry's above the confluence with the Fall River will be in primetime conditions. Warm, sunny days will see a profusion of stones, caddis and mayflies coming off in the lower sections and this is probably the last season to enjoy the river below Ashton reservoir before dam repairs. Put that very accessable, wadable section on the to-do list.

The Warm river will be excellent shape no matter what and, in low water years, many anglers skip it and go directly to the Henry's. The Warm can get hammered when it is the only river in the region that is running clear on opening day but otherwise there are usually salmonflys hatching next door on the Hank and the Warm is fairly empty and can be the better choice for a mellow day of 8-18 inchers on a pretty spring creek. Robinson Creek will probably be fishing well too but that creek is susceptible to rains and you don't know until you look at it.

For the past few seasons, Henry's Lake has had excellent June fishing for very large fish foraging for leeches and scuds in the warming shallows. The opening week zoo should have settled down some when you arrive.

Key to all of this is warm, sunny conditions. As runoff tapers down, the water is still freezeyurnutts cold so solar heating drives the hatches and the feeding periods of the trout. 11am-4pm is often the best fishing, especially on a freestone stream. On the lower Henry's, though, cloudy days can help trigger some types of mayfly hatches. Generally, I would plan to fish in the sun, sightsee in the rain if you really want to catch fish.

Ps. I still work for TRR but I moved over to the lodge's stores in Ashton and Island Park. Rob or Jeremy can take care of your needs in Driggs, so stop in for a report from them. Renting a pair of Simms waders/boots was $25/day last season.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.

ND - Might try to get over there on MLK day if my Wife gives me to go ahead. If I do I will bring back a report.

Midges has been out in good numbers on the South Fork the past few days. No reports of anyone I know fishing but people are starting to talk about the season here.

We NEED lots more snow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Or for Ullr to just give up, and let the warmup begin so we can do something, no skiing, no fishing, hiking, or anything. This winter BLOWS.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Dumping.

I don't think ski season is my favorite time of year to fish but it may be the best time of year for numbers and BIG fish.

All on a size 18 Griffith's Gnats.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Damn. I want to get up there.

Fuck ADIPOSE! You are killing it. I got your number.
    Drifting it Friday in the new boat.
    My friend landed an 8 pound 28 inch bow someplace in the center of the state.
    Fish STOKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wysplit_ride View Post
    Fuck ADIPOSE! You are killing it. I got your number.
    Drifting it Friday in the new boat.
    My friend landed an 8 pound 28 inch bow someplace in the center of the state.
    Fish STOKE!
    I already know the answer but gotta put it out there... If you're coming down this way for the maiden voyage on Friday, I'd be happy to rip some lips. Not the best time to be floating arond this area but I can be done.

On another note. I got a brief report from a friend that claimed to do reasonably well walking the Snake on Saturday afternoon. Mostly a nymphing game.

Edit: it's alomost here! I hope we don't get a thaw anytime soon but a string of a couple warm sunny days, encompassing a weekend and I'm moving into fishing mode.
    Last edited by schwerty; 02-08-2010 at 10:18 AM.

It's fucking pounding here in the Tetons! Not doin much for the fishing or the motivation to go but we need it . This cycle won't be season changing but it looks to be promising.

Again, I was planning on getting a day on the water on the holiday, (mon), but looks like skiing might be running pole position. Hopefully our area can see consistant moisture through the rest of winter and spring. More of these dumps would be appropriate!

What's happening in MT. Any Missoula mags read the fishing forum? Anything started up there?

Since it doesnt snow in Utah, I decided to go fishing last weekend. Beautiful day and some nice fish. First one was a real fighter. Nice to have a good bend in the rod again. Second fish is one that a buddy caught.... dont think he had so set that hook very hard..... Hows that for a report?
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"