Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    The B-Root is one of my top rivers! I miss floating it especially in the spring. Please bring some Missoula area stoke this season! Thanks.
    Here's some Clark Fork stoke from a week and a half ago . . .

see y'all out there

A little belated from 2 weekends ago, but maybe some helpful info for anyone heading to Central WY in the next few weeks. It looked like the Bows were just starting to find a lass to snuggle up with for the next month or so.

Which lead to quite a bit of this.

Seemed to do the best on steak and eggs, #18 zebra midges and #16-18 pink scuds.

I heard they just finished the flushing flows and the lake should just be starting to heat up. There was about 50' around the shore that was open, really in need of some warm temps and some wind to bust the ice up.

After a couple of days we headed to The Mile and it seemed to be a couple of weeks behind as far as the spawn but the fish where full of piss and vinegar with 22" inchers finding your backing. The drive in was fun through the snow and mud and we were able to get the The Fishing Institute sideways a couple of times.

Fished till dark at 7:45.

With not a cloud in the sky it got a bit chilly.

Heading out with some more mudding the T.F.I.

One of these years I'm going ski Elk Mountain.

`•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Looks like a few pigs were caught! That deserves a seperate TR!

^indeed. Great shots P4B.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Looks like a few pigs were caught! That deserves a seperate TR!
    It was a sweet trip with good peeps. Of course we didn't get any pix of the "good" ones. And I would da' loved to have seen a few of the ones that broke me off on 2x and straightened #12 hooks. Screw Mustad, I'm switching all mine to Daiichi. At least they'll break before bending.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Try the double thick scud/caddis hook from Tiemco. Those hooks will tear out of the jaw long before they start to bend. Used them for nymphing 4-6 lb mysis fed pigs in the tailrace current directly below Palisades dam (a 6000-12,000 cfs blast) and never bent a hook even in #18 patterns. They don't break either.

Fishing on in the JH valley slowed up. Cold nights have made water temps drop. I have only had a few hours on the water recently and have only heard a couple other reports. Fish had started to get smarter already but will still eat standard spring fare when presented well.

Thought yesterday, (50, cloudy and calm winds), would have got things goin. The night before was warm as well. Unfortunately, very little going on. The barometer had some sharp ups and down according to my home weather station. That likely made a difference but still shoulda been better than it was in the canyon.

Maybe better news next week.

decent fishing in the snake river canyon today. caught a few, missed a few more. water was up about a foot from where it was on monday. Runoffs coming soon.

Fishing on in the JH valley slowed up. Cold nights have made water temps drop. I have only had a few hours on the water recently and have only heard a couple other reports. Fish had started to get smarter already but will still eat standard spring fare when presented well.
    Confirm on the slow down. Only thing I could make happen in two nights on the SF was small fish on small flies. Wed night a guy fishing gear commented how monday night he couldn't keep em off and by wed he thought all the trout had died and gone to heaven.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    decent fishing in the snake river canyon today. caught a few, missed a few more. water was up about a foot from where it was on monday. Runoffs coming soon.
    Warm out there today and looks like nighttime temps in the valley are going to be hovering in the mid 30's for at least the next 5-6 days. Rain and some warm days following....I think we will see the first push within a week. Hopefully there will be a few opportunities once things are coming down to get out on the Snake. A couple cold nights and clouds or cool days and we should see some more good fishing. Maybe I'm wrong though and runoff is still a couple 2-3 weeks out???

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    Confirm on the slow down. Only thing I could make happen in two nights on the SF was small fish on small flies. Wed night a guy fishing gear commented how monday night he couldn't keep em off and by wed he thought all the trout had died and gone to heaven.
    I've been hearing the same thing. Flows are stable, I think but some of the small tribs could have started running a bit. They should start a push from the dam soon too.

----

Neckdeep - I bet you can't wait! In a few short weeks the Hank will be filled with southern JH kids trying to get a fix.

Water is coming up on the freestones around the Tetons. Looks like things may slow down by the weekend.

Any idea how the lakes look in the JH area? Im outta town to the Cascades but back early May. Anyone wanna tube it up during runoff?

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Any idea how the lakes look in the JH area? Im outta town to the Cascades but back early May. Anyone wanna tube it up during runoff?
    I have been wondering too but haven't had the chance to go look. Still a good grip of snow in the Park from what I am hearing. Although I would bet it melted in a big hurry down low this week! My guess is Jackson Lake has some open water around signal and bear paw. This rain should help out the situation a little and if it's followed by sunshine with some mild nights.... Jenny, on the other hand, I assuming will be a little while but again, I haven't been nor have I talked with anyone who has been up to scout. The smaller lakes are likely locked up for a bit.

I'll do some tubing. I prefer to motor around on the drift boat on Jenny and Jackson...

Ill PM you upon return. OR oughta be good now. Ski, golf, fish all in one day.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Not sure if UT is in the ..... but a few pics and some obs from the Green
    The 3 1/2 road trip from slc aint that bad well at least for the first trip of the year
    The only significant mountain range running E to W in the US

Hooked up w/ an old hs bro who i fished with a lot growing up and my copilot

Fished the A mon decent bwo hatch not a lot of river presure a few guide boats circus nymphing them up with regularity.
    Sorry missed ya adipose dallyed around a lot shore fishin to risers didn't hit LH till after 7
    small bwo's in a varity of patterns were bein eaten wouldn't eat above size 20 though.
    Nmphed em up w/ wd40's, blood midges, scuds, soft hackles, and other bwo nymphs.
    Ran into the Hog Island crew and these young whippersnappers. stokes me out to hear little dudes braggin about the 44 days the logged at steamboat this season

loaded up the camp gear and headed down to cottonwood camp good pm streamer bite a few pigs exercised

A 420 green bfast

no where as signifant bwo hatch on the b but fished and stuck a few rising snouts
    Run off from redcreek had lower b pretty off colored not chocalate milk but dirty tea
    the redeyed stoner sculpin bounced off shore enticed a few but pretty meh below red creek, but a great 4 20 fishin day
    a little clearer at taylors flat bridge but we bailed and headed back to DJ
    My bro headed home weds morn but the knucle pup and I floated another A
    to windy to fish and row but pulled over a lot for wade fishing and doggie fetchin
    partly cloudy skies led to a killer hatch and except the moments of gale force winds outstanding day
    Well worth the white knucle drive home through blinding sheets of rain and vehicle rockin winds
    messin around w/ the new oylmpus waterproof p&s

Great to get out for the first float of the year reconnect with old fishin buds and see the furkid in his element
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Nicely Done! I was wondwering how your trip went. I am itching to get out. Sounds like a trip to the N. Platte next week is being thrown around.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I was out on the HF and can confirm that the Seely Ranch is still posted as "No Parking until further notice". Since it is prime time down there, I guess this means it is closed for good.

Snowing and cold in the Tetons. Rivers were in shape yesterday but the rain last night may have hindered that. Damn cold snowy weather here for a bit. We need it though.

Busted!?

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/foru...934#Post608934

Seems a rather flagrant poach but I've heard many an angry angler claiming shennanigans like this go on when fishing comes down to $$$$. Truth or interwebz frame job? I do recognize the rig from around here, tho.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-06-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Busted!?

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/foru...934#Post608934

Seems a rather flagrant poach but I've heard many an angry angler claiming shennanigans like this go on when fishing comes down to $$$$. Truth or interwebz frame job? I do recognize the rig from around here, tho.
    pretty sure I know who's truck that is. Hard for me to believe some of th comments regarding TVL on that site. Not saying that they are all false though. I would like to think that that an Internet frame job. Those guides all know better. Really a shame if it's not a scam.

That place and a couple others seem to do more harm than good to some very positive businesses. That was a real stupid "mistake"!

That was a real stupid "mistake"!
    I can only imagine how hung over and tired one must be to forget the regs and then to not notice that you are the only rig at the put in. Then you get your sports posterized and fined by F&G. Tough day...

This is why I usually choose to off-trail hike into ravines for pocket water fishing once that becomes available. I really got sick of all the drama and tension that arises when too many people try to fish too little water. I'm having a real hard time getting motivated to drive over to the lower HF now that the anglers are showing up. I'd rather pick my way down 600 ft of buzzworm infested goat trail and wet wade tit deep in icy runoff than fish around guys like that. Stay away from boat ramps and you are almost certain to have decent fishing and some sort of adventure or another.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-13-2010 at 12:42 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I can only imagine how hung over and tired one must be to forget the regs and then to not notice that you are the only rig at the put in. Then you get your sports posterized and fined by F&G. Tough day...
    Youv'e obviously never partied w/ 20something year old guides Shit about killed me and I'm no rookie.
    thanks for the link though e-fishin can be pretty entertaining
    heading over to the Provo for some quasiguding for our TU chapters intro to fly fishing class will try and throw up some obs tonight
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Anyone been out? Ive been twice last week but it was cold, grey and no action at all. Im hoping for a good week now that its warm and still before the runoff hits. any one seen Jenny lake? Jackson is still iced over.
    Happy Fishin...

Haven't seen Jenny but likely the same story. I'm gonna take a guess and say the Snake, especially above the Hoback will be fine all weekend. The water will come up but might not be enough to drastically turn off the fishing. I could be wrong though. Still pretty warm out now and the forecast might be low for daytime highs.

The masses will be on the HF this weekend. Prolly a good time to stay around here. Heard they started the flush on the SF.