Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    well, mispelling "intelligent" is pretty ironical.

and anxious, during the Curse of the Bambino special on HBO, they hit upon the racial aspect of the red sox. the red sox were the last major league team (at the time) to have a black player after holding out for quite some time.

also, the reason you don't see black people at the game is b/c of fenway being historically anti-minority with sox fans and boston police enforcing what they think sox fans should look like. times have changed, yet nothing's changed.
    And the Yankees were also one of the last teams to integrate (4th latest) - what's your freaking point? That was old ownership, Boston has gotten a lot better on dealing with race (even at fenway), the thing is that there just aren't as many black people in boston as NYC. I managed to sneak a hispanic friend of mine in last night, but we pretended he was Italian so that they wouldn't throw beer bottles at us. Fucking ignorant yankee fans

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow
    there just aren't as many black people in boston as NYC.
    Looks like 1 out of 4 in both cities, Chumley.

2000 Census
    New York
    White 35%
    Black 24.5%
    Hispanic 27%

Boston
    White 50%
    Black 23.8%
    Hispanic 14.4%

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/pl3a.pdf
    http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/bra/pdf/p...ons/census.pdf

Yeah, but Boston is tiny geographically and composes a far smaller part of the Metropolitan Statistical Area than New York does of its MSA.

The real stats are:
    New York MSA 21.9%Black, 17.7% Hispanic.
    Boston MSA: 7.3% Black, 5.9% Hispanic.

Not saying this is good or bad either way, but it does illustrate why you see fewer Blacks and Hispanics in Fenway than at the Stadium.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, chumley.

That's interesting. Not so many Angry Whelks as I thought.
    It's idomatic, beatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio
    That's interesting. Not so many Angry Whelks as I thought.
    the "deep and poluted caverns" of stellwagen bank are outside the Boston MSA.
    Last edited by mildbill.; 10-19-2004 at 03:03 PM. Reason: properly quoting the whelk himself, so as to aviod his wrath (is the whelk a he? i guess so...)

fwiw dougie fresh uses a gigantic glove when he catches wake. also tek is the best catcher in the leauge when it comes to calling games. he makes every pitcher ('cept wake, i mean we all know what he's going to throw) much better. he even calls every pitch in shillings starts, first catcher shill has ever let do that. i would have liked to see tek use a big glove.

so pulling him in an alcs game, especially one where there may be other pitchers comming in post wake, is never going to happen.

you can put that in the "play roberts over damon" bin

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    So put that in your pipe and smoke it, chumley.
    If the Sox can beat the Yankees two more times, at the Stadium no less, I'll publicly apologize to Boston's all-white fanbase for being the biggest Yankee-loving douchebag on this board.

Had the pleasure of speaking with a Yankees fan this morning. He had on a Jeter jersey & Yanks cap - decked out. We actually had a nice conversation..He was originally from NY, I'm originally from Boston. We talked about every aspect of the entire series in a matter of minutes.

The most striking thing he said? That after last night's game, he genuinely hoped the Red Sox were able to pull it off. He said that he's been a Yanks fan since he was a kid - but after watching these last few games, watching how DIFFERENT the players and fans are - that he had more respect for Boston than he did his beloved Yankees. He said that the Red Sox were actually fighting, and were getting the support of the fans - who cheered their players....as opposed to chanting "Who's your Daddy" for 6 innings, and then yelling, screaming & generally acting like asses when the Red Sox fought back to within 1.

He said point blank what every Red Sox fan already knows: That Red Sox fans are there for their team - each & every game. We're excited about every season, every game, every pitch. And we're disappointed every year. Yet we come back again the following year & we're right back in. This isn't a revelation to anyone who's a Sox fan. It's just the way it is.

Yankees fans? They EXPECT to win. And whether they're winning or losing - they're generally obnoxious.

Coming from a Yankees fan, I was suprised to hear it. He said he told his wife last night that he hoped the Sox would hold on & face Houston for the Series.

2 MORE!
    Manny's due....but hopefully, the Yanks relief will try to duel with Ortiz again.....fools.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious Mo-Fo
    If the Sox can beat the Yankees two more times, at the Stadium no less, I'll publicly apologize to Boston's all-white fanbase for being the biggest Yankee-loving douchebag on this board.
    do you even realize how many dominican sox fans live inside the new york msa? its a large number. are they part of the fan base even though they don't get to playoff games at fenway?

there are pleanty of things for you to hate on about the red sox that have some basis in reality, why bark up this tree? i bet you don't live in a metro area, am i wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow
    And the Yankees were also one of the last teams to integrate (4th latest) - what's your freaking point?.....Fucking ignorant yankee fans
    i'm ignorant for making a valid point? how the fuck does that work out?

see: reading comprehension. thanks.
    fine

Is Anxious Mo-Fo actually Tim McCarver? It may explain the whole biggest douchebag yankee fan in the universe thing...
    Last edited by stump832; 10-19-2004 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    do you even realize how many dominican sox fans live inside the new york msa? its a large number. are they part of the fan base even though they don't get to playoff games at fenway?
    I live in the Inwood section of New York - more Dominicans here than in the D.R. As the only cracker in the neighborhood, I would like to state that I am not seeing a whole lot of Red Sox shirts/caps/shoes during the series.

Quién es su papá?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz
    Quién es su papá?
    Please read my last post.....please.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    i bet you don't live in a metro area, am i wrong??
    The past seven years, I've lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn, a couple blocks from Flatbush Avenue. Before that, three years in Hyde Park, Chicago.

And for the record, if the Chowds pull off the first comeback from a 3-0 deficit, I hope they go all the way and beat the Astros. I don't hate them or their fans... just enjoy lots and lots of Schadenfreude, the same way Pats fans don't feel pity for the teams they beat repeatedly.

My only beef with some Sox fans (at least on this board) and players is the way they shoot off their mouths like they've already accomplished something. Beat the Yankees, win the World Series, then tell us how great you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious Mo-Fo
    The past seven years, I've lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn, a couple blocks from Flatbush Avenue. Before that, three years in Hyde Park, Chicago.

My only beef with some Sox fans (at least on this board) and players is the way they shoot off their mouths like they've already accomplished something. Beat the Yankees, win the World Series, then tell us how great you are.
    i lived on the corner of flatbush and bergen (right above the 2/3 stop) for about 4 years.

i couldn't have said it any better.
    fine

I am completely unbiased here. I am totally indifferent about both teams, but C'mon Red Sox fans, it just seems like this is the end. They will always break your heart but you keep comming back. I don't know how you all deal with the pain.
    Living the good life.

it stopped raining in nyc.
    fine

The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 New York Islanders

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis
    The most striking thing he said? That after last night's game, he genuinely hoped the Red Sox were able to pull it off. He said that he's been a Yanks fan since he was a kid - but after watching these last few games, watching how DIFFERENT the players and fans are - that he had more respect for Boston than he did his beloved Yankees. He said that the Red Sox were actually fighting, and were getting the support of the fans - who cheered their players....as opposed to chanting "Who's your Daddy" for 6 innings, and then yelling, screaming & generally acting like asses when the Red Sox fought back to within 1.

He said point blank what every Red Sox fan already knows: That Red Sox fans are there for their team - each & every game. We're excited about every season, every game, every pitch. And we're disappointed every year. Yet we come back again the following year & we're right back in. This isn't a revelation to anyone who's a Sox fan. It's just the way it is.

Yankees fans? They EXPECT to win. And whether they're winning or losing - they're generally obnoxious.

Coming from a Yankees fan, I was suprised to hear it. He said he told his wife last night that he hoped the Sox would hold on & face Houston for the Series.
    That dood is no Yankees fan. Hoping the Sox win it at the beginning of the year is one thing, wanting the Sox to win in the middle of the ALCS is complete heresy.

And as for expecting to win, I don't remember Donny Baseball getting within sniffing distance of the playoffs until his final year.

So if you think that the Yankees are the evil empire (they are) and all yankees fans are douchebags (we aren't), so be it. This is a great rivalry for baseball.
    Last edited by Stu Gotz; 10-19-2004 at 04:32 PM.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

also, the reason you don't see black people at the game is b/c of fenway being historically anti-minority with sox fans and boston police enforcing what they think sox fans should look like. times have changed, yet nothing's changed.
    what the fuck are you talking about?

if you had a baseball team in alaska, there would be mostly white people there. why? because mostly white people live there. there are like three black people who live in boston, one of which is my buddy jota. when we go out with him, he is always the only black person in the bar. why? because of the racist bouncers at the door? or racist police? no. idiot.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    what the fuck are you talking about?

if you had a baseball team in alaska, there would be mostly white people there. why? because mostly white people live there. there are like three black people who live in boston, one of which is my buddy jota. when we go out with him, he is always the only black person in the bar. why? because of the racist bouncers at the door? or racist police? no. idiot.
    great point.

remember when they tried to instill integration in boston public schools during the 70s? that went over real well. the purpose of my initial post was to address the racial makeup of the fenway crowd. i'm still right.
    fine

great point.

remember when they tried to instill integration in boston public schools during the 70s? that went over real well. the purpose of my initial post was to address the racial makeup of the fenway crowd. i'm still right.
    right. that was racial DE-SEGREGATION. they started bussing kids around to DE-SEGREGATE the schools and people got pissed that their kids were getting bussed all over the place to hit racial quotas. idiot. you officially have NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

[chuckelchuckelchuckelchuckelchuckelchuckelchuckelc huckelchuckelchuckelchuckelchuckel/]

Kinda funny, cause when you think about for half a second, desegregation is integration. But there always has to be a fancy catchphrase attached to political achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    desegregation is integration.
    yeah, sometimes the easy stuff gets lost on the simple minded.

gonzo, the problem that (white) people had with it was that kids from other neighborhoods (ie, black) were being bussed in.

stop dumbing the place down and shut the fuck up for a few days.
    fine

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    You guys totally cunted this thread with bullshit.

focus on the game.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.