Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How is Dark Star Orchestra now that John is gone?

Just curious if anyone has seen Dark Star since John's departure?

Love watching John play, just curious if Jeff is bringing a new dynamic to the mix?
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

we saw one of the first shows that Jeff was with them and it was surpisingly good. He's a very good player and has a great grasp of the material. I assume that now, after a few months of playing together their repetoir is expanding and they are becoming cohesive. When we saw them they did not cover a show, just played.

The show was at the Calvin in Northampton, MA

But of course, have a listen for yourself. DSO@Archive

BSS Guest
    Still top notch. Different, and maybe even in a way - improved? Mattson's mastered pretty much the entire Garcia catalog in his 30 some years playing where JK has barely scratched the surface. IMO Jeff's playing is flat out better, too bad he's temporary.

Rob Eaton has stated publicly that JK has made the decision not to return to DSO post-furthur, so the future of the band will definitely be interesting. I've got my $$ on Stu Allen, especially since Melvin has been doing so much more with Kimock than JGB these days.
    Last edited by BSS; 01-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.

BSS Guest
    The sound has been found.

Tour starts next week. Exciting things happening in DSO-ville, see you out there.

If any New Englanders will be at the shows in Hampton Beach at the end of May, post up. There are some things to which I just can't say no.

^^ is that guitar a Doug Irwin? wicked cool

He's got it!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    ^^ is that guitar a Doug Irwin? wicked cool
    matt moriarty wolf copy

^^ it's got a wicked nice ring to it, so cool to see that. and yeah he does have it.

I'll be at Hampton Beach both nights, most likely get a room at the beach for the weekend. Pretty sure we'll be getting the Stu treatment.

Saw DSO with Jeff last Fall, they rocked, he rocked, we rocked. DSO will keep on keepin' on as long as we keep going to see them.

Tomorrow and Saturday in Hampton. Bring it on!

BSS Guest
    Check out this Alligator solo. If'n Mattson ain't direct-channeling the fat man right here, then I really don't know what else to say.

BLISTERING, PRIMAL '69 sickness: http://www.archive.org/details/DSO20...010-02-27.flac

so good, thanks for sharing. set list is retarded, i love it.

Jeff had some throat problems in Hampton. They played two original sets to give him a break on the vocals. But he rocked, DSO will be just fine.

Not to mention he's husky and wears aviator glasses, just sayin'.

Good shows. I liked Saturday better. Friday was more mellow. They did play a lot of tunes I hadn't heard them do before.

Another great show last night in Lowell. First time for me at that venue...what a cool room! Missed Portlands Philly '73 show which was outstanding apparently...first set was 2.5 hrs.

Lowell -1/17/79
    Set List: Shakedown Street
    Me and My Uncle
    Big River
    Peggy-O
    Beat it on Down the Line
    Stagger Lee
    New Minglewood Blues
    Brown Eyed Women
    From the Heart of Me
    I Need a Miracle

Scarlet> Fire, Estimated> Eyes
    > Drumz> NFA> Black Peter> Around> Good Lovin

Casey Jones
    Finished with a Jerry tune...name escapes me.

Caught portland and Lowell, that Lowell Auditorium is just plain fun

Sisters and Brothers closed out Lowell

Mattson is awesome. Get to Jay Peak for Jeezum Crow festival next summer. So laid back. Friends were hanging with Barraco after Rutland last week and he said they're definitely going back.

Good bunch of guys. They have the spirit! Took me a while to warm to JM but he is really a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Mattson is awesome. Get to Jay Peak for Jeezum Crow festival next summer. So laid back. Friends were hanging with Barraco after Rutland last week and he said they're definitely going back.
    Yeah, i had something going on last yr.

I'm really impressed with Mattson and Eaton...truly the whole band. Those guys kill it!

Rob Eaton is supposedly the biggest asshole around, but I don't go for the conversation. They really are awesome. Phil is just a totally different thing, which I love, but nothing scratches the GD itch like DSO, Plus my wife loves them, and looks awesome in her hippie skirts......

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Rob Eaton is supposedly the biggest asshole around, but I don't go for the conversation. They really are awesome. Phil is just a totally different thing, which I love, but nothing scratches the GD itch like DSO, Plus my wife loves them, and looks awesome in her hippie skirts......
    That's kinda funny as a few people I knew met Jerry and Bobby and thought Bobby was kind of an ass too. But like anyone it can depend on the day I guess.

My wife digs DSO also, so we always have a good time.

Funny how many kids at these shows never saw the Dead live. Met one guy who has a terabyte dedicated to the Dead...which is apparently every live show. It was painful for him to say that he never saw them live. He went on to say he missed Highgate because he had to take SAT's. Assumed he'd catch the next local show that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    That's kinda funny as a few people I knew met Jerry and Bobby and thought Bobby was kind of an ass too. But like anyone it can depend on the day I guess.

My wife digs DSO also, so we always have a good time.

Funny how many kids at these shows never saw the Dead live. Met one guy who has a terabyte dedicated to the Dead...which is apparently every live show. It was painful for him to say that he never saw them live. He went on to say he missed Highgate because he had to take SAT's. Assumed he'd catch the next local show that never happened.
    It is kinda strange seeing and talks to folks at DSO or other related shows that have never seen he Dead. On the other hand, it says a lot about the music and the band. It's awesome the music has that kind of affect on people that were never part of the dead scene.

Hell, I dig on old blues guys that were dead well before I was around or old enough to appreciate music of any kind. I like to think I keep that fire burning a bit.

I just got tix for the run in Boulder in March. Looking forward to seeing them again.

After seeing Joe Russo's Almost Dead last month, they definitely have some competition.