Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    1. graphics? do you prefer pucking blood skulls ala hellbent, hand paint ala 4frnt, crazy neon colors ala new ks stuff, techy graphic designs ala lhasa pows, or simple designs ala dps? do you care?

I care... but simple is better. don't like blood skulls very much.. i like my bookmatched wooden topsheet scottybobs.. but also love my pontoons graphics.. but i love planes.

2. ski finishing - ie awesome structure, ceramic edge, flat/railed? matched camber/rocker & flex? do you know how to actually check for this stuff? if it was off, would you notice or care?

i probably wouldn't check, as i would assume the company did so before sending them out..

3. shaping? prefered sidecut/shape? rocker lines? etc.

i like big radius skis, as a general whole, and actually started ski shopping with greater than a 31m as a starting point for one pair, but rocker skis make me feel different than non rockers..

4. flex and flex options? stiff, medium or soft? does it matter if there are countless options?

hmm. this one is difficult. flex is very important. but i like a mid-stiff, i like responsiveness, and torsional stability is very important. i don't like girl skis because they are wussy and weak. they feel like they are all too soft.

5. weight? do you like a super heavy ski (damp)? super light ski (reactive), do you tour? do you care?

mid-weight. i've had heavy skis that are alright, alpine carvers tend to do better a little heavier (ice combat-not that we get any here, really), but for tele, they'd better be light, since reactive is important for me in a tele turn.

6. technology? do you care about pushing the design envelope? do you specifically like to support companies that are doing something cool/new/different?

i like supporting new companies like on3p because they care about what they're doing.. i also tend to shy away from brand new tech until it's been reviewed for a year to work out some kinks (read: i will stay away from ntn for a while longer)

7. price? how price motivated are you? will you only buy on mad closeout? will you pay full pop for something truly lust-worthy? how many skis do you buy a year? how long do you expect them to last?

gotta say, price is important, due to me being cheap, but then again, this is negated by me buying three new pairs this year (one for the bf, one tele for me, and one alpine for me). i will try to get what i want for a cheaper price than full. i don't really like paying full price for things, but will if i get a little needy.. like how i bought the night trains this year full price, but should have just gotten another pair of on3ps for cheaper.

8. durability? do you care about the hardness of your bases? do you like or not like die-cuts underfoot? sidewall or cap - care?

sidewall has served me better, and i like the rigidity. though often the topsheets like to chip there, at least on all the k2's we have.. then again, the cap BD's I had all gouged like crazy. i like hard bases for sure, as we have thin snowpack year round and i don't like paying people to grind my bases. i can usually feel the die-cuts with my fingers, but i can't say as i've ever noticed them while skiing.

basically, flex and shape come first, price is an important factor, and topsheet will generally make it a yay or nay situation, though i don't really care for the on3p topsheets, i would rather get them regardless of topsheet. it's not that bad. my fave topsheets are the naked cartoon girl on my rossi scratch bc's.. though i think the cartoon factor makes them more family friendly.. i probably wouldn't get a pair of skis covered with blood, but if the right ski came around and it happened to have that, i would probably overlook it. forgive me my long topsheet rant, but i'm a girl.

In order of importance:

1. shaping? prefered sidecut/shape? rocker lines? etc.

Like others, I begin shopping for a ski by basic dimensions. I have different preferences for doing different things, but the shape is IMO what determines where (and if) a ski will fit in my quiver. Generally, 182-189cm length, 100-120mm underfoot, and a turn radius of 24-35m suits me well.

2. flex and flex options? stiff, medium or soft? does it matter if there are countless options?

I generally prefer medium to medium-stiff skis. That said, it once again depends on the intended purpose of the ski. If I'm looking for a surfy backcountry ski, or a lively yet forgiving ski for bumps/trees on not fresh days, I might be looking for a softer flex than if I want a ski for comps and/or destroying chop.

3. durability? do you care about the hardness of your bases? do you like or not like die-cuts underfoot? sidewall or cap - care?

I want a ski to last. I'm done buying poorly manufactured skis. I do not like die-cuts (although it's not a deal breaker), and I really do not like cap skis. Cap construction almost completely eliminates a ski from consideration.

4. weight? do you like a super heavy ski (damp)? super light ski (reactive), do you tour? do you care?

How much I care about weight kinda depends on the purpose. I'm more weight-conscious for a backcountry ski than for a resort ski, although I'm willing to haul a heavier ski around in return for better performance.

5. price? how price motivated are you? will you only buy on mad closeout? will you pay full pop for something truly lust-worthy? how many skis do you buy a year? how long do you expect them to last?

Once I've found a ski that meets all my desired criteria, I do shop around a bit for a deal. My salary doesn't allow me to buy anything I want... but I also won't buy a ski that doesn't fit my criteria above just because I can get it on proform or whatever.

6. ski finishing - ie awesome structure, ceramic edge, flat/railed? matched camber/rocker & flex? do you know how to actually check for this stuff? if it was off, would you notice or care?

Had a hard time ranking this one. I guess if it's not perfect, but pretty close, I don't care. But I would care a lot (and could put this catagory much higher) if things are off by a lot (particularly matched flex, rocker, camber, etc.)

7. graphics? do you prefer pucking blood skulls ala hellbent, hand paint ala 4frnt, crazy neon colors ala new ks stuff, techy graphic designs ala lhasa pows, or simple designs ala dps? do you care?

If I find a ski to be horrendously ugly, I probably wouldn't buy it, but otherwise it doesn't matter much. An attractive ski is kinda a nice bonus though. I tend to be drawn the most to artistic natural scenes - this years EHPs, the Praxis spectrum and wooly mammoth graphics, ON3P's Billy Goat graphics, that sort of thing.

8. technology? do you care about pushing the design envelope? do you specifically like to support companies that are doing something cool/new/different?

I do like to support the smaller, more innovative companies, but I traditionally have not been a super early adopter of new technologies. I just got my first rockered ski last year, for example.

One thing that was not in your list of criteria is company of manufacture. This is a fairly important thing for me and probably comes in somewhere just ahead of price for me. Made in USA is preferred, made in the country in which the company is based in second (for example, Blizzard, Fischer, etc.), made in another country is third, and made in China is last. It has nothing to do with an assumption of quality as some people seem to think it does (I'm well aware that Americans can and do make shitty skis and Chinese can and do make great skis). I'm more concerned with a company supporting their local economy by hiring local workers.

1. graphics? do you prefer pucking blood skulls ala hellbent, hand paint ala 4frnt, crazy neon colors ala new ks stuff, techy graphic designs ala lhasa pows, or simple designs ala dps? do you care?

I like it simple. If the ski rips I don't care what it looks like, though. Just please no more 08/09 Gotamas. Thanks.

2. ski finishing - ie awesome structure, ceramic edge, flat/railed? matched camber/rocker & flex? do you know how to actually check for this stuff? if it was off, would you notice or care?

I like fat GS skis with some camber and no pussification (rocker, tip rise).

I like fat GS skis with some camber and no pussification (rocker, tip rise).

4. flex and flex options? stiff, medium or soft? does it matter if there are countless options?

I like fat GS skis with some camber and no pussification and medium-stiff flex. I weigh only 150 lbs and I'm not trying to qualify for The Big Dick Swinging Contest Using Skis as Surrogates.

5. weight? do you like a super heavy ski (damp)? super light ski (reactive), do you tour? do you care?

I like heavy damp skis with decent rebound, and I like such skis for every condition except God's Own Dandruff, which I get to ski about 0.002% of the time.

6. technology? do you care about pushing the design envelope? do you specifically like to support companies that are doing something cool/new/different?

more efficient technology that achieves a feel identical to that of a laminate with titanal sheets and vert sidewalls, OK

technology just for the sake of "pushing the envelope" definitely NOT OK. this isn't the 1700s. it's not the time to be wasting materials just to "see what happens." billions of humans + finite resources + increasing waste & pollution = time for responsibility, not time for "pushing the envelope" trying to make Uber-Trick HyperSynthetic Pseudo-Sandwich Polymer Blends.

7. price? how price motivated are you? will you only buy on mad closeout? will you pay full pop for something truly lust-worthy? how many skis do you buy a year? how long do you expect them to last?

not everyone has a shmoe-deal bro-hambleton-hookup. I shiver at the thought of paying $600 for a pair of skis.

8. durability? do you care about the hardness of your bases? do you like or not like die-cuts underfoot? sidewall or cap - care?

durability absolutely, fancy base designs NOPE. sidewall skis have always made me happier than cap skis.

I posted this over on NS
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I honestly do care, I generally like a simpler softer look, but still with something going on, i.e. ON3P Billy Goat. Also always been a sucker for single color skis like DPS. A graphic will never deter me from buying a ski though

I really really care, but I don't know enough to know what I care about...but when I fondle a ski I know whether or not I like the construction and finishing

Not too much sidecut but not a straight ski, depends on what I'm using it for, but I like around a ~23m radius. Always rockered, it's just more fun, and I like skis with tapered tips and tails but normal sidecut/camber underfoot

Medium/Stiff, HATE soft skis, but yeah there are so many options that it doesn't matter

For touring I need a light ski, for anything else I don't really care, but I like damp yet poppy skis (bamboo)

I'm always up for trying new designs because I generally think they'll be even better than the last one. I like supporting smaller brands with innovative designs and the funky designs I've tried recently have all been awesome

I will only drop 600-700 on a ski that I really know I want, otherwise I will try to buy it used or pre-sale for 400-500. 4-500 is a normal price/good deal for me, <300 is a steal depending on the ski

I ski a lot of east coast trees so I need very very durable bases. It's fun to have a sick base graphic but if it takes away some durability then fuck that. All bases I've had with die cuts in them have ended up breaking around the die cut (coughk2cough)
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I really would prefer something mellow or classy, but I really don't give a shit. This is a low priority for me.

I want matched camber/rocker and flex, as well as flat bases. I do know how to check for this stuff. If it was off, I would notice and care. How much, well, I guess that depends on how off it is. This important to me.

There are enough options on the market now, that I maintain my quiver of different sizes and shapes and profiles. If I'm shopping for a ski, I have a job in mind for it and I have a general shape in mind that will do that job.

There are lots of different options out there, and I can select a ski that has the appropriate size and stiffness I need for the job I have in mind. This is an important factor for me when I buy a ski.

I really prefer a damp, heavy ski. I do tour, but not a lot lately. As I go forward in turning over my quiver, I will likely differentiate more between my heavy-ass damp inbounds chargers and my lighter touring skis.

I openly admit that I like to try new technologies if they sound appealing to me. I was a Spatula owner. I owned 1st gen Kryptons, 1st gen Dukes, and 1st gen Factors. I even owned the old K2s with the blinking Piezo light in them back in the day. And I had an asymmetrical-swingarmed Mantis Pro Floater. I would like to think that my infatuation with new technology is purely performance-oriented but I'm also just kind of a gear slut. When my rational brain is making choices, I want performance, not just technology for technology's sake.

I am very price motivated. I buy one pair of skis a year and I expect them to last at least three or four years. I maintain several pairs of skis in the quiver. I probably won't pay full pop for a ski. I'll do it for boots, but boots are different. Because I rotate the quiver of skis, I can just stalk a good deal and ski what I have. Paying full pop for a ski isn't on my radar.

I prefer a durable ski. I dislike die-cuts and cap construction. The hardness of my bases and thickness of my edges are also a concern, but less so.
    [/QUOTE]

1. graphics?

Not so much relevant, but I my life I've bought some 2-3rd hand skis just because they were beautiful to see. I use them for rock days.

2. ski finishing

I care a lot.

3. shaping?

This is the cornerstone

There are days for soft skis and days for stiff skis, so in a quiver you need both.

as above, with a penchant for light skis.

6. technology?

relevant

7. price?

with the exception of boutiques skis such as DPS, birdos, etc, most of the major skis in europe - sooner or later - are on sale with huge discounts. Just wait, there is no rush to buy

8. durability?

relevant, but not crucial

i wonder how long it will take Marshal to tabulate the results of this?

seems like a poll would made things simpler for him to pass on this vital info to the skimakers of the world...

a couple hundred responses will make tabulating and normalizing this little thread perfect for a rainy week's project for a room full of people with nothing to do

at least 40% of the people that open this thread are capable of reading
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

So if I'd rank them:

1. #3 Shape
    2. #4 Flex - options would be nice (a la Bro)
    3. #7 Price - Not the main driver, but obviously the same tech, same general specs + cheaper price = sold.
    4. #6 Technology - definitely a late adopter
    5. #5 Weight - more noticeable as I get older (and more out of shape) Race skis kill my legs by mid day. I'm liking the bamboo cores as a tradeoff.
    6. #8 Durability - Want 2-3 seasons of regular/heavy use at least
    7. #2 Ski finish - As long as it's not looking like some of the 333s that came out, I probably wouldn't notice until it was too late, definitely don't check out of the box.
    8. #1 Graphics - Do i care what they look like? Yes. Does it influence my decision outside of "that thing is too fucking ugly to buy"? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

couldn't care less. Topsheets are like tits, they look nice but don't actually do anything but catch peoples' eye.

yes. 333 skis get sent home. Always get your money's worth and don't settle. Skis with dfferent flexes and camber will ski differently and that s unacceptable.

possibly the most important thing. The shape dictates its' purpose and therefore you decide what circumstances you're looking to revel in and subsequently match your wants to the corresponding shape most conducive to your intentions.

HUDGE! This is #2 consideration for me. Flex will dictate in many ways how the shape interacts with the snow surface so after shape, flex is the #2 most important thing.

Also hudge. In many ways this does with #4, as a stiffer and more damp ski will usually be heavier. I see core construction as a component of both flex and weight so you can't consider one without the other.

Well yeah. If I wanted straight skis, why would I buy brand new? Technology when applied correctly makes the ski experience so much more enjoyable for matched contitions and equipmet.

I am poor. Price is very important. If two skis are very similar and one's half the price, it's a no brainer.

Very important. Weak skis get eaten alive by my home mountain. Hard, tough bases and edges/topsheets go a long way towards making me feel good about having them for two or three seasons. I've seen skis fall apart, delam and core shot on the first run so yes, quality of construction, be it cap or sidewall construction is very important.
    In order, I'd say

durability
    shape
    flex
    weight
    finishing
    price
    tech
    graphics
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

My $.02

I buy my skis the way I look at girls at a bar. Okay, bad analogy but what I'm saying is a few things grab my attention at first look then everything else is just a "deal breaker". Much like a chick wearing awesome clothes isn't going to turn her from a 3 into a 10 but a hot chick being terribly dressed can turn her from a 10 into a 7...or 6...or 5 (you get it)...basically there are plenty of attributes that aren't going to say "buy me" but if they are fucked are certainly going to say "don't buy me". (see the difference?)

Shaping is the first thing that grabs my attention when I'm looking for a certain ski (pow, charger, resort etc) followed closely by flex. If either of these isn't what I'm looking for, nothing else matters...and there really isn't a right or wrong here, just a matter of what I'm looking for. I will say this however, I think flex and shaping go together and are not as independent as many people think...that's not to say some preference or range isn't appreciated (alla DPS) but they do play off one and other.

I'm not really too into the weight of my ski (unless it's a touring only ski) but if it is as heavy as an old Pow Plus it's a deal breaker. (In fact I went with DPS in hybrid just because I wanted a bit more weight behind my ski for crud/semi tracked/deflection issues etc...but I'm weird)

Durability and construction are two things that wont make me buy a ski but certainly can be, once again, a deal breaker.

Graphics are important...but not that important. Less is more and as long as it does not encompass skulls and flames I'll probably be okay with it.

Finish quality really doesn't concern me as I have no problems doing this myself if need be...but it does say something about the company usually.

Price I'm not going to comment on this one. You already know me. (Marshal)

Technology This is the wildcard. If we are talking about some crazy new shape then yes, it can certainly grab my attention and make me say "I must have that". Construction wise I'll also be intrigued but it all depends just how material the technological gain really is.

Finally, I feel in the future I'll go get a pair of skis the way a surfer has a board made. There will be a dozen or so high end builders around the country (such as wagner) that have a very firm understanding of many different shapes and how everything plays together. You will go to a person like this, talk with them, and through watching you ski, understanding what you are looking for etc etc will build a custom ski just for you using best technology shaping construction etc etc

it would be interesting to see people rank these items in terms of importance, and then write a sentance or two explaining each line.

if someone has a NS account or TTips account, it might also be cool to post this over there and post a link so we can see what everyone is thinking...

awesome. i guess this is your chance to speak your mind on design. i am going to send the results around to a bunch of various contacts....
    Last edited by JeffreyJim; 01-13-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post

I honestly do care, I generally like a simpler softer look, but still with something going on, i.e. ON3P Billy Goat. Also always been a sucker for single color skis like DPS. A graphic will never deter me from buying a ski though

I really really care, but I don't know enough to know what I care about...but when I fondle a ski I know whether or not I like the construction and finishing

Not too much sidecut but not a straight ski, depends on what I'm using it for, but I like around a ~23m radius. Always rockered, it's just more fun, and I like skis with tapered tips and tails but normal sidecut/camber underfoot

Medium/Stiff, HATE soft skis, but yeah there are so many options that it doesn't matter

For touring I need a light ski, for anything else I don't really care, but I like damp yet poppy skis (bamboo)

I'm always up for trying new designs because I generally think they'll be even better than the last one. I like supporting smaller brands with innovative designs and the funky designs I've tried recently have all been awesome

I will only drop 600-700 on a ski that I really know I want, otherwise I will try to buy it used or pre-sale for 400-500. 4-500 is a normal price/good deal for me, <300 is a steal depending on the ski

I ski a lot of east coast trees so I need very very durable bases. It's fun to have a sick base graphic but if it takes away some durability then fuck that. All bases I've had with die cuts in them have ended up breaking around the die cut (coughk2cough)
    Shaping
    Flex
    Durability
    Technology
    Price
    Weight
    Finishing
    Graphics

Weight goes near the top if these are touring skis

Selectively edited:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I buy my skis the way I look at girls at a bar:

Shaping is the first thing that grabs my attention ... followed closely by flex.

Durability and construction

Finish quality

Price

Technology This is the wildcard. If we are talking about some crazy new shape then yes, it can certainly grab my attention and make me say "I must have that".
    I'm picturing you sizing up some barbie-doll-plastic-surgery type and mentally calculating how much technology went into her chest, and how much she's gonna cost you in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

it's hard to rank things for me, marshal. price can be foremost in my mind or hardly an issue... depends on my income and free cash when I need a new pair of skis. some days I'm sure the ski's graphics don't matter to me and then I see a pair of 08/09 Gotamas and feel like I'm about to get a migraine and swear I'll never ski that headache-inducing graphic on my feet.

when it boils down to essence, I want most skis to feel like variations of the 2005 Head Monster 88 that is my everyday ski.

^^^^ Hehe.

I like all sorts of skis for different reasons.

At the end of the day, like Jay-Z says "I love girls, girls, girls, girls..."

This analogy *could* go somewhere but I'll let it go.

Simple is good for me. Like the woodgrain topsheets or clear coat.

Yes, I care about that stuff...but not enough for it to outweigh how the ski works for me. Regardless of construction, my test comes solely down to how it performs on my feet. For better or worse.

Have come to appreciate a rocker ski, and will likely buy them for all over the mountain going forward. Sidecut - less the better...love the 128-118-124 type of ski

Flex matters, but I don't care how many options a company offers - if they don't have the flex I want, somebody else will. I have come to appreciate a med-soft flexing ski, as opposed to the stiff-ass board I felt obligated to ride in past years.

In the resort a like a heavier, more damp ski and touring, prefer a lighter, more reactive ski.

I don't care about the new tech. shape, weight, flex, design....tech will encompass those if applied correctly.

I buy at least one new pair every year, but am hard pressed to pay retail for anything. Will buy a pair every three years or so for $600-$900, but would traditionally look for sales.

yes, do care about durability and do NOT like die cuts. Simple is better - looks better with base fixes in place.

that's optimistic

Shaping
    Flex
    Technology
    Durability
    Price
    Weight
    Finishing
    Graphics

1.Graphics: I care a little, but not that much. My wife basically demoed the new S3 because they have the same mermaid from last years S6. She paid full price.
    2. Finishing: Honestly, I don't understand this one. Some skis look solid and some look cheap....
    3. Shaping: It all depends on how they ski, but for my next pair, I'm really only interested in a JJ/S7/Lasah shape ski. I've got my LPs for what I now see as 'old school'
    4. Flex: It totally depends on how they ski, but you've already bought them before you really know. There's no universal flex rating so it gets too confusing always asking a tech 'how do they compare in the LP-Obsethed spectrum of stiffness?'
    5. Weight: I haven't gotten into touring yet, so I just love the solid feel of my LPs. My wife is little, so she loves that Rossis tend to be pretty light.
    6. technology: Overlap with question 3. The problem with companies who are cutting edge is that they're just R&D for the big boys. See JJ vs S7.
    7. price: I'm cheap and have only bought used or previous season models for the last several years. That said, I laid down $550 for a new pair of S3s for my wife because Rossi seemed to box themselves into pricepointing relative to 3 being so much lower than 7 as a number, despite that they are a totally rad ski compared with 4-6 (god that's a ghey sentence!) and were at a good price point for "I'm willing to ski expensive it now rather than cheap next year". I think skis cost too much. I also think it's totally ghey that most shops have "sale" prices on them the minute they hit the shelf. If Line and CoreUpt can hit low price points, there's no good reason the other bastards can't as well. I call bullshit that high end skis cost more because they need to recoup development money. The high end ski sells the low end models across the board. A ski is materials plus a percentage of the operating costs of the whole company. If they sell 10x as many entry level and rental skis, then all their skis should be priced alongside those skis.
    8. durability: Reputation goes a lot further than whatever marketing or some shop tech says. People still wax on about the durability of Volkls don't they? And BD is rapidly positioning itself in the 'cheap chinese crap' department of skiing. Everybody else.....it's all the same shit, but it feels safer to buy from a big company despite the anecdotes you hear on the forums.

3-6-1-7-4-5-8-2