Thread: Hit With Fly

Hit With Fly

I posted this initially on another site, but after watching it a few more times with the sound turned up, I thought you guys might enjoy it.

Hitting myself with a surf candy full speed...it's best to make it "full screen" and turn the volume up.

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Looks painful!

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Crimp those barbs! Anytime I'm throwing something over about an inch the barbs are folded. Glad it wasn't you eye!
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Looks painful!
    It was. The bruise the next morning was pretty ugly.

This was the object:

I don't want to ever get hit by something with weighted eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Crimp those barbs! Anytime I'm throwing something over about an inch the barbs are folded. Glad it wasn't you eye!
    Glad it wasn't a few things in that area.

Most barbs were crimped before hand, all barbs are crimped now before they're tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    After a flying panic trip to the ER after one of our part sunk a hook in his eye, we have a mandatory sunglass rule on the boat!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Seeing that it was in the leg I LOLed. I have never done that with anything that big but I almost pierced my ear with a Mudler Minnow when I was younger, always wear glasses after that.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

I've popped myself a couple times with a woolly bugger on really windy days. Suxxors.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    I've popped myself a couple times with a woolly bugger on really windy days. Suxxors.
    I was wondering if the wind was causing that water to flow like that-kind of in yourface in the Vid.

I think this is one of the reasons I am glad there is not a camera on me all the time, I saw Dude had one on his head too.
    believe me its real.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoop View Post
    I was wondering if the wind was causing that water to flow like that-kind of in yourface in the Vid.

I think this is one of the reasons I am glad there is not a camera on me all the time, I saw Dude had one on his head too.
    The wind was R to L, but not enough to turn and backcast...just enough to give the line a bend which is why i lost focus on the cast.

and yup, Dude has on headcam... and the cams lets me re-live the good times all winter.

Thanks for posting. I bet we've all done that (or will in the future). I've slapped myself a few times in similar fashion, but the worst was when I broke my 8 weight when a dumbbell eye streamer hit the rod on a backcast. At least you got to continue fishing...

I had a client hit me about every 8th cast, I ended up hunkering down in the boat with the net over my head and still almost got hooked
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I had a client hit me about every 8th cast, I ended up hunkering down in the boat with the net over my head and still almost got hooked
    Nothing says "tip me" like a guide with a net on his head

Quote Originally Posted by crat3rs View Post
    I think you enjoyed it and you got your own video of it.
    That's an interesting take. Enjoy? What do you mean?

Disclaimer: my w does not vork vell.

I stuck a size 4 autumn splender in the side of my head a fev years back. It vent through my hat and into my skull. After about an hour of myself and my spouse trying to pull, cut, push through, and yank vith string, I vrapped it vith gauze and vent to my Doc the next morning. The staff thought it vas very amusing.
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

Dirty hook in the brain!

How'd they get it out? yank harder than you thought was ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane Hottie View Post
    Disclaimer: my w does not vork vell.

I stuck a size 4 autumn splender in the side of my head a fev years back. It vent through my hat and into my skull. After about an hour of myself and my spouse trying to pull, cut, push through, and yank vith string, I vrapped it vith gauze and vent to my Doc the next morning. The staff thought it vas very amusing.
    Like a nail in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Nothing says "tip me" like a guide with a net on his head
    Dude gave me $400 for 3 days, he just hit me with a 5/0 bunny fly about 20 times, I think its a good trade. He knew he sucked at casting but was to proud to listen to a 18 year old give him casting lessons. Pretty good guy actually... Also caught the biggest king of the summer for the lodge, I liked having that fish in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    He knew he sucked at casting... ... Also caught the biggest king of the summer for the lodge, I liked having that fish in my boat.
    His hands, your fish. That's got to be satisfying.

OUCH!!

I was casting a big dumb bell bunny string leech last summer on the Clark Fork when I got lazy on my back cast. Ripped a forward cast only to have the fly peg me in the head. It almost knocked me out. It was hot out so I had my hat off, big mistake. The eyes actually split me open, the hook never touched me. If my hat would of been on, it would of lessened the blow a bit.

If you watch the vid again, your timing to start your back cast is off just a bit. You can see the rod load and then go slack, just before you start the back cast.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    His hands, your fish. That's got to be satisfying.
    Hell YEA!

Yep it's a 5 ounce.

Not fly fishing, but surf fishing I had an accident like that but much more jongish.

I was yanking a fish out of the last wave onto the beach and had a rig snap but left the weight on line. It flew back at roughly 40 or 50 mph and thumped against my shirtless stomach. Really a scary thing to watch come flying at ya. It was one of those pyramid sinkers with a ball on the end, left a perfect imprint/bruise for about a week. Better than getting hit in the teeth though.