The Doctor's Dead, Long Live the Doctor!

The brilliant actor David Tennant finished his four-year run as the eponymous main character in "Doctor Who" this past Saturday (in the U.S. - it had already been shown in the U.K. apparently).

I don't know the new guy nor do I see how he can possibly compete with Tennant, who was absolutely fantastic in the role, but I do wish the new Doctor well as he takes the helm of the best show on T.V..

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor!

I gotta say I didn't like Eccleston much and he kinda ruined me on the show.

That's too bad, Tennant really is great and the show has been so good the past few years that it routinely blows my mind.

David Tennant; the Tenth Doctor and one of the best Doctor(s) ever, sad to see him go. Timothy Dalton as the Lord President and the dude who played the Master were pretty good too.

Hear, hear. Long live the Doctor.

does it even get broadcast in the U.S anymore?
    it used to be on Sci-Fi (SyFy).
    perhaps it's on BBC America, no? (which i don't have).
    and that's crazy that they only knocked out 48 episodes over the course of 5 years.
    i kinda like how U.K. shows don't go for overkill like American ones (only 12 episodes of The Office and it was done, only 12 episodes of Spaced and it was done, etc.). They seem to know when to call it quits (i.e. when the show is still in top form), rather than let it drag out endlessly for years.
    anyway, on the subject of Doctor Who, I was always partial to Tom Baker.
    As for Eccleston? i always associate him with bad guys (given that's what he usually plays in other films), so he was always kind of a creepy, evil Doctor Who to me.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

It's still on SyFy but very randomly, I'll be damned if I can figure out their schedule. On BBCAmerica it's more predictable but they still shuffle things around.

Just watched the first Tennant Episode ("Christmas Invasion") and it has potential. Gotta love Netflix and their streaming service.

"Don't you think she looks tired?"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    For a good portion of my adult life I had Mondays off. Sunday night partying and watching Monty Python, David Allen, Benny Hill and Dr. Who on pbs
    was a kick ass way to end the work week.
    I still whip out a Darlick (sp??) "EXTERMINATE" every now and then.
    The docter always had a hottie assistant
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Curious to see how the new guy works out, big shoes to fill. David Tennant was great it sucks to see him go, but that's part of the show. The last two episodes were great and "The Master" was really good. It was cool to how they went into more of the timewar and what actually happened to the Timelords.

BBC america has the most episodes and had a rerun of the past season marathon a bit ago.

Watched it when I was a kid when Tom Baker was the Doctor, always bizarre sets and wierd aliens. I thought Eccleston was pretty good, there was some good episodes while he was at the helm, IMO.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The brilliant actor David Tennant finished his four-year run as the eponymous main character in "Doctor Who" this past Saturday (in the U.S. - it had already been shown in the U.K. apparently).

I don't know the new guy nor do I see how he can possibly compete with Tennant, who was absolutely fantastic in the role, but I do wish the new Doctor well as he takes the helm of the best show on T.V..

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor!

Iceman is a scifi nerd in jeans.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Tom Baker was a great Doctor, Tenant was also great in a differant way and the current writers have really taken the show to a new level.
    If you live in or near Canada you can get it on CBC but BBC America is the best for up to date episodes. I think you can get it on Comcast On Demand too.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    Tom Baker was a great Doctor, Tenant was also great in a differant way and the current writers have really taken the show to a new level.
    If you live in or near Canada you can get it on CBC but BBC America is the best for up to date episodes. I think you can get it on Comcast On Demand too.
    Baker was the only Dr. I ever saw and at an age when just the score of the show was "scary".
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

doughboyshredder Guest
    The end of time specials were absolutely amazing. I love how they can make you feel such sadness at the loss of the doctor, and then turn right around and give you the excitement and wonder of having a new doctor. What an excellent series in general. The goodbyes had me choked up a little bit though.

Tennant was great, but each Doctor brings his own flavor to the show. I am sorry to see him go, but am glad as well. It keeps the show fresh.

The show has been around for 20+ years, and even David Tennant would get boring afte that long.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My bad, Doctor Who first aired in November 1963. I am not sure when it first showed in the US, but I used to watch it in the early 80's. Over 750 episodes, I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The new series of Doctor Who is up and running on the BBC and the latest doctor is not half bad. He's no Tennant, he's a little spastic, but not half bad.

Who are you! Which, is, precisely, who he is.

The new ginger haired Scottish companion is even better!