Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    In Anchortown looking to get my career on track

Smith "Guys" PLEASE Bring Back the Z-Bend Poles

PLEASE tell your superiors (and ANYONE that will listen) there are a lot of us out there that LOVE these poles. Just as soon as they started to become popular, you discontinued them. Smith i IMPLORE you to PLEASE bring them back. PRETTY PLEASE??? I scour EVERY where for a pair from 50"-54" in the long shot hope of hopes that maybe JUST maybe i will find that elusive pole hidden somewhere. PLEASE bring them back!!!
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

yeah. honestly. people are still clinging to old, haggard pairs of these. This is very much a P18/Flexon type scenario where nothing else really skis the same once you're used to them and they are getting hard to find.

I will share a tip though: If you're down to 1 z-bend pole and can't find another pair you can always carefully bend a pair of aluminum poles to match the profile. I've done that and it worked well.

I broke one once and hung onto the other one forever. Never did find ones to replace them. Maybe its it the rafters...not sure. It's stupid but i really liked those poles.

MF

I lucked out a couple of years ago, when my well loved pair were faiding on me I found a cherry pair for $10 at the local swap. I now have a 2 pair, but the grips are looking kinda sad (worn down to nothing). Bring em' back please...

Yes bring them back since a few weeks ago mine were stolen by some douche at Alta!!!

Agreed. Great poles. My Dad still has a pair that are mint, I am tempted to put them on a FS thread and see how many people respond. That might make for a good case study for Smith to see the demand for the poles. The analogy of the Flexons and P-18's was great, it is frustrating that the ski industry seems to not understand the idea of giving the consumer what they want. I guess there is an upside to that also though. Big Business Skiing's ineptitude allows for small companies like Full Tilt, DPS, Praxis, Moment, etc to come in and fill the void. So, maybe the answer is to quit complaining on the internet and buy the rights to Z Bends from Smith and just start making the pole. That would actually be a really cool maggot company.
    Thanks Shane

Are (or were) the Z-Bends really all that much better/different than a decent pair of poles with a regular GS bend? I never used Z-Bends, but I began using regular GS bent poles years ago and have never really given it a thought (but I never gave much thought to my poles before then, either). I do remember the Z-Bend hook having something to do with changing the angle or position of your plant, but does that really make much difference?
    Currently use Scott GS poles and I'm on at least my fifth or sixth season with the same pair--they look beaten up, but haven't shown any sign of breaking. Only cost about $40 new, too.
    [quote][//quote]

You know how I know you're gay?

not only do you use z-bends, but you whine and cry for them to come back.

You don't hear me whining about bringing back the lurk or the strapless thumb breaking pole grips, do ya?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Are (or were) the Z-Bends really all that much better/different than a decent pair of poles with a regular GS bend? I never used Z-Bends, but I began using regular GS bent poles years ago and have never really given it a thought (but I never gave much thought to my poles before then, either). I do remember the Z-Bend hook having something to do with changing the angle or position of your plant, but does that really make much difference?
    Currently use Scott GS poles and I'm on at least my fifth or sixth season with the same pair--they look beaten up, but haven't shown any sign of breaking. Only cost about $40 new, too.
    There were 2 Z-Bend poles made. One set was aluminum and as others state can be matched with quite a bit of effort with some other aluminum poles custom bent. The grips and baskets maybe would not be the same but the basic bend could be matched. Smith also had a Z-Bend pole series that was composite (like the Goode but not pencil thin at the top) carbon fiber or fiberglass (not 100% sure- I'd have to look at mine) that were very light weight yet strong. I have a pair that I still use - one basket has broken, but otherwise other than a few scratches they are still good. I treat them like gold though- don't use them all the time.

Ebay from time to time has a pair or 2 - mostly short ones and used, sometimes abused.

Bring them back, please.

i've got a pair i'm hoarding as well. i think a more realistic approach would be to see if another pole company (scott, leki, etc) could reinvent the z bend. smith seems to be out of the pole business for good.

anyone have any extra powder baskets laying around?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    yeah. honestly. people are still clinging to old, haggard pairs of these. This is very much a P18/Flexon type scenario where nothing else really skis the same once you're used to them and they are getting hard to find.

I will share a tip though: If you're down to 1 z-bend pole and can't find another pair you can always carefully bend a pair of aluminum poles to match the profile. I've done that and it worked well.
    Not if you have the composite series....

Smith rep gave me a pair of the composites the first year they came out ('93 or '94?) and they are still going strong. Replaced a few baskets over the years but the grips and shafts are money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Z-Bends are good for tucking down grass Dex.

Quote Originally Posted by sar13 View Post
    Replaced a few baskets over the years but the grips and shafts are money.
    Do you know if baskets are still available for these? I've got the composite z-bends and one is missing a basket.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Do you know if baskets are still available for these? I've got the composite z-bends and one is missing a basket.
    Some on here have discussed using the Scott or Black Diamond replacement baskets. Not sure if they are for both the composite and the aluminum poles and work with both or not- a search would pull up the thread.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=baskets

Not sure if there are options for the race baskets or not.

What's so great about these poles? I had some and got rid of them because I never used them and they look stupid. Don't even try to tell me they make you ski better.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Sweet poles but they are FRAGILE, at least the aluminum ones. I gave up on them after breaking like three in one season. I don't ski as hard anymore though and fall way less so they kinda work for me now. I've got 2 1/2 beat-up pairs left. Two courtesy of Otter, wouldn't even take any beer for for 'em.

I've gone to Scott Dispatch poles now, heavier but WAY stronger.

Oh and Dex, top of the line Scott poles, GS included, are about $130 retail.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

In other news I've got a pair of Ice USA carbon poles that have held up to 10 hard seasons of abuse. $$$$ Love'em.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Oh and Dex, top of the line Scott poles, GS included, are about $130 retail.
    And I have pairs of skis that used to retail for $1000+, but I usually find them one season later for $400 or less. Every spring for the past six or seven years Reliable Racing has had Scott WC poles for about $40--I've posted about it here, as have a few other people (that's how I found them at first--mighta been 13 who first posted about 'em). Right now Reliable Racing only has Swix poles, but I imagine they're basically the same and I think they're about $57. I would guess that at the end of the season whatever poles they have will go for around $40.

Retail?? You're doing it wrong.

And I'd agree with you that Scott poles (aluminum) seem to be quite durable.
    [quote][//quote]

Didn't Smith ditch the whole pole program entirely?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Didn't Smith ditch the whole pole program entirely?
    I had heard, a few years ago, that the Z-bends almost bankrupt Smith, due to the cost of an composite GS bend. I don't know if it's true....

I've had a couple pairs, and LOVED them. its all about the swing weight and the GS bend on the composites are real stiff and durable. believe it or not the bend does make a difference, both with how "inside" you can keep your hands, and with how they reach forward and away from your ski tips on your pole plants. if that's your thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Yeah, they plant in a different place per hand position. So if you're used to feeling your pole touch down in a certain place it's nice to keep that familiarity. Not that you can't just get other poles and adapt...but when you like something you like it.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    Skiing's ineptitude allows for small companies like Full Tilt..........
    Full Tilt is owned by K2.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Well, it's not the Z bend, but Kerma did bring back the "corrective angle" pole from years ago this season.

http://www.dynastar.com/#/products/dd91310-inferno

I know a LOT of guys who just buy a bent GS pole and throw powder baskets on them
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I had heard, a few years ago, that the Z-bends almost bankrupt Smith, due to the cost of an composite GS bend. I don't know if it's true
    "Almost bankrupted" is a little strong, but (according to a housemate who is a former Smith employee) the company did lose millions on the pole program.

I like my Z bends but won't go nuts looking for new ones when they break.