Colorado ski train officially dead.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14083955

Perhaps this will help motivate people to get a real train going that is a viable alternative to driving. Probably not.

Also, if you just got an acr plb-300 recently and have been skiing berthoud, someone wants to have a word with you.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14082541
    Last edited by karpiel; 12-29-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Bummer about the train, it's never good to lose good transportation opportunities. I love taking the train (not that one) places... big seats, bring your own booze, get up and walk around, no traffic. When gas prices inevitably go back up and driving and flying gets more expensive, maybe train travel will start to see some more demand again.

re PLB - let's hope it's just ignorance... the karmic implications could be dire otherwise...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Helldawg Guest
    Man, that was on my do-list for sure. Fuckers.

Its Amtrak's fault... they were demanding $200 million in "terrorism insurance" for a train that ran a few times a week. How the hell are they supposed to make any money if they have to pay for that shit?

If everyone who whines about it going away had actually bothered to use the thing, Anschutz wouldn't have folded operations.

I took it twice. Both times I got to WP after 10am and I believe we left at 3:30. Dumb scheduling.

Also, the other problem is that it went to WP. I will get behind a bullet train to Silverton, though!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    If everyone who whines about it going away had actually bothered to use the thing, Anschutz wouldn't have folded operations.

I took it twice. Both times I got to WP after 10am and I believe we left at 3:30. Dumb scheduling.

Also, the other problem is that it went to WP. I will get behind a bullet train to Silverton, though!
    Scheduling was a problem with the old train for sure. The new one was designed to be a completely different setup. I.E. you didn't have to go and return the same day like the old train, etc. The new model was to be setup far better than the old one. It's kind of a shame that a company like Amtrak which hasn't been profitable in years and continues to take government subsidies would have the ability to put the killing blow on a company that had improved upon the poor business model of its predecessor and was set up to actually provide something back to the economy rather than just taking from it.

I thought WE owned Amtrak. They suck.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Its Amtrak's fault... they were demanding $200 million in "terrorism insurance" for a train that ran a few times a week. How the hell are they supposed to make any money if they have to pay for that shit?
    Laughable. I could just see it now:

Al Qaida's list of things to blow up
    1) World Trade Center
    2) Pentagon
    3) Denver to Winter Park Ski Train

Isnt buying less gas much better terrorism insurance?

Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Laughable. I could just see it now:

Al Qaida's list of things to blow up
    1) Airplanes
    2) Dillon Dam, Dillon CO
    3) Denver to Winter Park Ski Train
    Fixed it
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Rode it only 1x. Got drunk and bought a cheap ski train coffee mug. Its a great mug. With every sip i will remember the ski train