Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coming to Aspen and I've never been... need help!

I will be coming to Aspen for the first week in February. I have never skied there before, and will be visiting with family who prefer perfectly groomed trails to just about anything else. Needless to say I will need to get some real ski time away from them, and have been reading a bit about the mountains. Seems like there is easily hikeable "inbounds?" terrain in the Highland Bowl and the Cirque at Snowmass. I will be skiing alone (unless I find a maggot guide!!) and without avy gear, is it kosher to check these places out that way? Does the mountain control them at all, what do I need to know??

Basically any info/advice about skiing Aspen would be much appreciated. Also, if there are and local mags who will be around the first week of Feb and wouldn't mind showing a tree-skier from VT around for an hour or two it would be much appreciated!!

If you want to be able to ski with your family while spending some of the day getting after it, go to Snowmass. If you're ditching your family completely, go to Highlands. Stay in-bounds and you won't need a beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    If you want to be able to ski with your family while spending some of the day getting after it, go to Snowmass. If you're ditching your family completely, go to Highlands. Stay in-bounds and you won't need a beacon.
    So since the Highland Bowl is within the yellow line that means it's in-bounds?

Yep except for closures. Wouldn't ski out any Highlands bc gates without gear and friends. Snowmass has some meadow skippin fun out certain gates.
    If i'm not workin and around give a shout.

Yes, yellow means inbounds - no shit. It's not like Bridger where some inbounds terrain requires avy gear...you would need a beacon if you crossed the yellow because you're going into backcountry.

Bring your camera and a ski pack when you hike Highlands Bowl. Ski most at Snowmass cuz of family. You can ski all of the highlands in a day if you're quick. Don't bother with Buttermilk, but don't think Ajax sucks - it's a great little mountain for going at mach speeds.
    Last edited by Pancakes; 12-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

bump cuz I'm a little more than 2 weeks out! If any asspen mags are going to be around the first week of Feb and wouldn't mind showing me around a little bit I'd be happy to buy the beers (and more)!!!

Midstation Blackcomb gondola. not even kidding.
    by and more he means the strippers!

Bring a duffle bag of money, it is aspen after all and watch out for cougars. They have a nasty bite and roam in packs at night.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Not so sure your fam won't like the Highlands groomerz. There are some nice ones mid-mountain. Plus there won't be anyone there to tear the corduroy up like the throngs that will be at Snowmess (although it won't be a busy week). Furthermore, it's easy to split off and meet back up at AH, but at Snowmass, good luck.

Look me up when you're in town; I can show you around a bit. PM me for contact info.

I've only been there a few times. But I'll throw my .02 in...

Snowmass is groomer heaven. I'm not usually a groomer lover - but IMO it is hard not to have a great time on those cruisers. And you just won't run out of them... Some crazy good on mountain eating too - which can count for something depending on family dynamics.

Speaking of cruisers, Ruthies on Aspen is another groomer that is just hard not to like. Its reputation for fun is well deserved IMO.

And for something completely different - if you happen to be there on a Monday night and Eric Mead happens to be doing magic at the Hotel Jerome - check it out. He is just amazing. The entertainment (not to mention WTF?) value of his performances is off the charts... (note - if "family" includes kids, I would not bet on his show - at least the later part - being "G" rated. Check first.)

I'll be around and will be happy to show you around. Shoot me a PM as you get closer.

Where are you staying?

For max vertical, it's pretty hard to beat Aspen Mountain. They groom Copper, Spar and Ruthies everyday and they do a dam good job. If you get your family up early, you can do a couple of groomers with them and then start to branch out and still meet at the gondi. It's very easy to send them down Copper and hit either the Back, the Glades or Jackpot. Same with Spar, take the Face, Shoulder or after a short lift, the Dumps. Have one of these guys show you the traverses, like Jimmy Buffet, Elvis Prestly and Yankee Stadium. There are a lot of narrow, high speed traverses that access expert terrain and make Aspen ski much bigger than it is.

Hit Aspen Mt. on storm days, Highlands the next and avoid Snowmass if it's windy.

970-925-1221
    Snow totals can vary by a foot any given storm. Check the snowphone.
    Free busses make it easy to ditch the folk and hit the goods. Highlands has been under reporting a bit this year.

don't forget the pool at the sky hotel

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    970-925-1221
    Snow totals can vary by a foot any given storm. Check the snowphone.
    Free busses make it easy to ditch the folk and hit the goods. Highlands has been under reporting a bit this year.
    I believe that was last year.....

All of the mountains can work well for the fam. As noted meeting up for gondi laps can work if you are faster than the rest of the fam. A few runs with and a lap up the bowl could make highlands fun. Snowmass would be good if you can take a lap or two, go explore, then meet up for lunch or apre.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    don't forget the pool at the sky hotel
    But bring your own towels!

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

And for something completely different - if you happen to be there on a Monday night and Eric Mead happens to be doing magic at the Hotel Jerome - check it out. He is just amazing. The entertainment (not to mention WTF?) value of his performances is off the charts... (note - if "family" includes kids, I would not bet on his show - at least the later part - being "G" rated. Check first.)
    There's still a dollar bill pegged to the ceiling of the Mountain Chalet at Snowmass where I worked last ski season and I THINK that was Eric Mead and his magic tricks. I had guests asking me about that ad naseum when I worked there, and they still wouldn't believe me when I told them it was magic. Look at it, dammit, how do you think it got there, huh? MAGIC!

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    But bring your own towels!
    Or just demand one from the kind gentleman at the front desk. Tell him it's your right and he should be privileged to serve you.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'd go with Highlands or Ajax if I were you... Snowmass has some legit terrain but by the time you ride the lifts up to access it, ski down, and catwalk out it will be a while before you get back to your fam. Stay away from Buttermilk unless you're big into park skiing.

On Ajax/Highlands you can ski the steeps while they ski groomers and meet at the bottom no problem.

Bump cuz I fly out tomorrow! PM's sent to the folks who offered to show me around a bit, thanks mags!! We'll be in town Monday night and will definitely try and check out that magic show, as for the pool it sounds like there's an inside joke of some sort going on there that I'm missing? Is it really a nice spot that we should try and poach? Is there a maggot hiding behind a desk somewhere that will let us in and/or give us towels? Thanks for all the advice guys, I can't wait to get out of New England for a week!!

B-line for the Highlands Bowl.

We'll be at Aspen Mtn tomorrow if anyone's around and would like to spin a couple laps. Give me a call, or better yet a text (I hate talking on the phone!) 978-two70-7two08.

-Russell

Bring some GS skis and bomb the groomers early. The best snow was lower Bearpaw/SI. 1A liftline to Norway was skiing very nice early afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Bring some GS skis and bomb the groomers early. The best snow was lower Bearpaw/SI. 1A liftline to Norway was skiing very nice early afternoon.
    you in town? skiing today?