Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jstarrski View Post
    Hi all, I designed some of the equipment for the project and I'm making a go of designing custom wave skiing setups for interested skiers. Thanks to the guys for making the equipment look as good as they did while realizing there's a lot of room for improvement. tow-in, paddle-in, kiteskiing, wake ... What's your pleasure?
    If you ever do another product testing session down at Rye, I'll be here, drop me a line.

Now that was rad.

Nice to finally see someone pull this off...in grand style no less.

Thanks for posting.

nice

the sickness....thanks for the stoke.

Very nice and huge balls... I can't imagine going over the falls with skis and boots on! Glad everyone survived the one scare.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

So just to answer the most frequently asked question about the ski boots and binding set up. We tested about every waterski/wakeboard binding set up out there and none of them delivered a high enough performance factor to be able to ride a wave. Not to mention it was nearly impossible to get out of a waterski binding extremely quickly when getting caught inside and you wouldn't come out of the bindings consistently when crashing. We found that being in ski boots is far safer for the drowning factor and for the knee factor than being stuck with skis on your feet. I had one of the longest and scariest hold downs of my life when I left my skis on while geting caught inside on a set. The skis were like anchors when the wave pushed down the large surface area of the skis. From that experience we learned that getting your skis off your feet is safety priority number one.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    solid work, I'm surprised no one as tried kite skiing before... maybe they have?
    Stereos were used and seen in the video, although it looks like they wanted to keep the goal pure and mount them alpine style.

I actually ordered a pair of Stereos back in the spring for kiting but cancelled the order to buy an OceanRodeo Mako Wide. This year I'm buying those fat bastards because it does work and to simply fuel the skiing addiction in the summer.

Jak and Jil skinned up the hill to rip some epic lines...
    Jak cruised down throwing a huge mute 3...
    Followed by Jil with a 9.

Those waves are hudge.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

SUPER SICK!!! WAy to inovate. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    ok - who wants to go in on a ski and be tow partners? I'm looking for a cheap/secluded place in Oahu as well.
    I have a Polaris 1200 virage txi on Maui, for sale if you are coming out.
    Has foot-straps, jet-wings and goes 60. Lots of low-end for getting riders up out of the water. Low hours.

you look like gapers without poles
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Awesome to see that you guys managed to do this! Must have been scary and fun. Props.

Judging from the vids, I'd be looking at more 'turny' skis that allow for more radical manouverability (bottom turns, slash backs, etc) if you're going the way of wave skiing. The kite skiing looks awesome though the same remark may apply.

Holy Crap! Wave skiing on the news!

I just saw you guys on the khnl 10 pm news! ( in Hawaii)

Great coverage! Full-on video clips, description, names and viral video mentioned, and they show the ski getting totaled.

Good for skiing, sponsors and very cool!

That was sweet! As a kite skier (snow) I was wondering when somebody was going to make the connection and take it to the surf with some super fat skis. On the water side they've been mixing it up with full on surfboards and kites (strap and strapless) for a number of years.

Love the innovation. Clearly you need more equipment to manage while you're careening down a 30 foot face, so here's a pole concept I Pshopped together. Poles and Oars combined (Poars).

^^ Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I just saw you guys on the khnl 10 pm news! ( in Hawaii)

Great coverage! Full-on video clips, description, names and viral video mentioned, and they show the ski getting totaled.

Good for skiing, sponsors and very cool!
    Thanks for the update, Crampedon. That's sick!

For those asking about poles...
    We brought poles with us because both Cody and I think that skiing without poles is just weird. Honestly... what are you supposed to do with your hands? Anyway, if you go back and watch the vid you'll see, that aside from the big day, we were dealing with heavy chop out there. Despite my best attempt at tying the poles to the sled, they were gone in about 20 minutes. By now, I'm sure they've been found by a beachcomber on the north shore. I never did get to try them. In glassy conditions, poles probably would've worked until we got slammed by a big one. It's hard enough to find the skis in a foot of foam, let alone poles.

Happy Holidays to all!

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Pure

f'cking

genius
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedski View Post
    Thanks for the update, Crampedon. That's sick!

For those asking about poles...
    We brought poles with us [snip] By now, I'm sure they've been found by a beachcomber on the north shore.

MD
    Incredible video! A jaw dropping experience.

I'd love to be there when a beachcomber with a metal detector uncovers one of those poles!

Classic SuPu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    "C'mon Vince. We go pound 'em!"

Progression of sport is really pretty cool. Sure it looks awkward - nobody has done/seen it yet. Snowboarding looked strange the first few go arounds. Not saying this will be huge like Snowboarding, but my hat's off to Mike, Cody and others who pulled this off.

Kite Water-Skiing looked sick! Finally an answer for the ski snow-skiers who didn't really dig the kite water-boarding in the summer.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

that was surprisingly legit. the kite version looks like it might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Just a matter of time

Just a matter of time before Wave Skiers carry poles.

Quote Originally Posted by elchingonmancos View Post
    Just a matter of time before Wave Skiers carry poles.
    The time is now. Chuck Patterson in the latest SURFER magazine.

Stoked to see Chuck take it to another level.

pretty sweet.

That is awesome.