Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgb@etree Guest

Thumbs down Leather Boots. Vasque -vs- Asolo

I've been wearing Vasque Sundowners for years. As many of you know, they moved the manufacturing from Italy to China about 5-10 years ago, and the quality has gone down the tubes. Where I used to get 3 years out of the Italian Sundowners, I get less than 1 year out of the Chineese version.

So last year I decided to say fuck it, and dropped a pretty penny on Asolo TPS 520 GV's. They look damn good and are pretty sturdy, but they've got a couple of major issues that I can't deal with.

1. They're too warm. Great for deep snow, etc, but it gets awful swampy in the Spring, Summer & Fall.

2. The traction in wet & icy conditions is AWFUL. You'd have better luck hiking in ice skates.

Other than the durability issues with the Vasques, they still fit the bill perfectly.

I almost wouldn't even mind replacing a pair of sundowners every year if it didn't take 2-3 months to break them in each time.

So, have any of the other Sundowner fans out there found a good alternative? I suppose the Asolo's should be good for the rest of the winter, but I need to have a new boot on hand & broken in by spring.

TIA for any suggestions.

find the equivalent Lowa and never look back
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

This might not be what you are looking for, but I have had great success with these. They don't take too long to break in either. As far as durability I have had them for two seasons of backpacking and they are showing little to no signs of wear.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/product...-GTX-Mens.html

I've got some NIB 9 [i think] Sundowners i'd let go if anyone's interested...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    I've been wearing Vasque Sundowners for years. As many of you know, they moved the manufacturing from Italy to China about 5-10 years ago, and the quality has gone down the tubes. Where I used to get 3 years out of the Italian Sundowners, I get less than 1 year out of the Chineese version.

Other than the durability issues with the Vasques, they still fit the bill perfectly.

I almost wouldn't even mind replacing a pair of sundowners every year if it didn't take 2-3 months to break them in each time.

So, have any of the other Sundowner fans out there found a good alternative?
    Same here. First pair in 92 for Forestry School, 5 years, 2 pairs. Felt the change when they went China on us. Harder to break in, less time in the boot. I used to resole mine, now I just get new.

No good substitution found in 18 years now.

Better be careful....if you say that stuff made in china is not as good as where it was originally made there are a bunch of chodes (that probably work for said company), that will get their panties in a bunch in stating that the items made in china are of equal or greater quality than where they were previously made....

I like my meindl's. After 1 year of working in a mining exploration camp they show almost no wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

2nd on the rec for Lowas.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Same here. First pair in 92 for Forestry School, 5 years, 2 pairs. Felt the change when they went China on us. Harder to break in, less time in the boot. I used to resole mine, now I just get new.

No good substitution found in 18 years now.
    I used to resole as well, but they just end up being too flimsy by the time the second set of soles are done. I've always used resole.com & they've turned the boots around pretty quickly.

Any tips for breaking 'em in quickly? Normally, I just use mink oil on the leather, wear a thin pair of socks under my normal socks and wear them for day to day stuff until they are comfortable enough for hiking & working outside.

Been looking at the Lowa's that have been recommended, but I don't really see one that fits my asthetic needs. I like full leather boots - not only for durability & comfort, but because you can wear them just about anywhere with khaki pants and be OK because they just kinda look like brown leather shoes. Kinda stupid, I guess, but it's part of what makes the vasques perfect for me.

lowa has a ton of full leather (inside and out) or leather outer/gore inner type boots...i use to sell them but do yoiu think i can remember any of the names?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I've been digging the pair of Alico Tahoe's that I picked up off Sierra Trading Post. They've got a norwegian welt, which I kinda like the look of. Solid construction, all leather, made in Italy. I put a lot of miles on them this summer on rough terrain and they're holding up just fine.

I haven't worn Vasques for years now, but I've got some Schnee's sheep hunters by Lowa that remind me of the old Vasques that I loved in the early 90's, so Lowa may do it for you.The Schnee's (Lowa's) are comfy and seem to be durable thus far. That said for a tough off the shelf boot I spend my cash on Meindls as they are more supportive/stiffer for packing heavy loads and walking on steep sidehills. Not the Cabela's badged Meindl's though. They don't seem to have the quality of the "name brand" Meindls.
    For what it's worth I'm a sheep hunting guide in the Yukon and rely on good boots.
    Being grown-up sucks!

Did you try the Asolo Fugitives? Best boots ever IMHO, love em.

I had three pair of Sundowners back in the early 90s- blew each one out in three months. Gave up on them when they changed the heel and got rid of the awesomeness back nubbles... so I bought Asolos and have been much happier with their durability.

Sundowners will last over a decade if you take care of em. The support for backpacking won't be there anymore, but they're still waterproof and comfortable to truck around in.

Here's what I have. Damn fine boot!

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php...oduct_id=30298
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Hiking boots are like ski boots, you need to find on that feet your feet well. Find a good shop with a lot of different brands and find what works. I have done well with Garmonts, but who knows what fit your feet well beside the Vasque.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Been purty happy with my Montrail blue ridge GTX's. Got them after I used the Torre GTX's for a couple of seasons and wanted something a bit more supportive. The Blue Ridge GTX's are wearing really well and the toe/heel rands are doing a nice job of protecting the worst wear points.

I was a Vasque guy all through the 90's but I won't touch them anymore. They are just not the same boots. I still have 2 pairs of the old all-leather Clarion GTX's that I wear for doing odd jobs around the house. Tread's gone but they are SO comfortable that I can't bear to toss 'em.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I still have 2 pairs of the old all-leather Clarion GTX's that I wear for doing odd jobs around the house. Tread's gone but they are SO comfortable that I can't bear to toss 'em.
    Resole 'em!

I'm bummed that I tossed my last pair of Italian Sundowners. If I had known that my only replacement option was going to be a Chinese made model with 20% of the durability, I would have resole'd them until they turned into dust.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Hiking boots are like ski boots, you need to find on that feet your feet well.
    This ^ ^ ^

I hated my Sundowners. They provided me the support and lack of torsional rigidity of trail running shoes, but at 2X+ the weight and bulk.

I have zero use for backpacking boots because I'm either in light mountaineering boots or trail runners. Most of my non-skiing alpine travel involves off-trail, scrambling, neve, firm, glacier, scree, talus, death-by-cheesegrater and/or steep heather, etc., so I need boots with torsional rigidity (i.e., light mountaineering boots) for that terrain.

If I'm confined to trail, I'm in trail runners. I'm not alone on this. I see more and more backpackers in trail runners.

Work boots and hunting boots -- that's another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Resole 'em!

I'm bummed that I tossed my last pair of Italian Sundowners. If I had known that my only replacement option was going to be a Chinese made model with 20% of the durability, I would have resole'd them until they turned into dust.
    Been down that road. Sadly they are a proprietary sole to Vasque which is molded around the bottom of the boot. Unlike traditional welt construction where the shoe repair place can just pop a new sole on the bottom, these would require MAJOR surgery to resole (and major expense). That trend seems fairly pervasive in modern hiking boots. The rubber rand around the toe/heel and the molded soles that go up past the bottom of the leather make it very difficult to simply pop a new sole on. Sad but true...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Haven't tried em but the Vasque summit looks like it might be a better made, and somewhat heavier boot. My Vasques are about a million years old--not the sundowner but a heavier model, sewn welt, all leather/no goretex, still in great shape, not made any more of course. (I also have an old, old pair of Asolo Yukons, beautiful stiff leather boots, but I don't ice climb anymore). Leather is where it's at--boots, gloves, sex.

I have had my italian sundowners for 15 years now, just had them resoled. I do not hike with them anymore but for walking around they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I have had my italian sundowners for 15 years now, just had them resoled. I do not hike with them anymore but for walking around they are great.
    Ha! a bunch of deadheads with sundowner. F'n CLASSIC.

bought a pair in 89 that lasted 10 years. from Highgate VT mudpit('92) to T-ride Bluegrass mudpit('98 ?)
    one step forward, no step backward

Scarpa x 2