Conditions in the Monashees?

Any beta on snow quality in the backcountry would be appreciated. Considering a few days up at Mustang over the New Year.

Stood upon a mountaintop.
    Walked barefoot in the Snow.

Blower over the head pow. Excellent coverage. Go!

Excellent coverage, pretty good conditions. But not quite blower pow anymore, as of this past Saturday. Still completely worthwhile and fun above 1700m.

Pictures from saturday
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2664388&postcount=254"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2664388&postcount=254[/ame]

Videos from Saturday:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2664498&postcount=256"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2664498&postcount=256[/ame]

Lee,

Seriously?

Actually blower was from two weeks ago. Crank went last weekend and it was still good coverage but not blower pow. Good = 200+ cms coverage at about 2000m so I'd think you can't go wrong

Lots of snow, it's pretty warm right now though but Mustang would be fine. Dumping right now.

was at mustang tue/wed/thur last week and it was just fine thnk you very much...
    boot/knee/thigh/waist depending on the run
    step out of your bindings and sinking up to you nipples was not a problem....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

What are the legal/courtesy implications associated with human-powered touring inside the Mustang permit area (or those of their neighbors CMH and Selkirk-Tangiers)?

This could be a moronic question due to

a) the proximity of good skiing to the roadway on nearby Rogers Pass
    b) the exceedingly remote nature of the above-mentioned permit areas

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    a) the proximity of good skiing to the roadway on nearby Rogers Pass
    Hell I've never been skiing anywhere in that area, but I did once stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

The proximity of Rogers negates almost any need for poaching local cat/heli terrain.

b) ngdfm

Mustang.

Drive an hour up a forestry access road, park at Staff parking lot, your car may or may not be buried by the snow plow operator since he dosn't recognize it. Or bus may take you out since he isn't expecting other traffic, or if logging is going on in neighborhood, logging truck may run you over since you don't have a radio.

3/4 hour ride via Cat to Lodge, skin this....

Then climb above lodge to ski. DIg a pit to figure out what conditions are like. Maybe be buried if they happen to be doing ski cutting or other avy control work above you since they don't know you are there.

If you are skinning up cat track, perhaps be run over by snowmobile/cat since they don't know you are there.

Or, check-in at Rogers, get latest Avy bulletin, find out what is open and talk to staff about latest conditions, park at designated lots , skin up and ski.

Did two days this weekend just south of Mustangs tenure.

Sat. South facing stuff - beauty day once the fog cleared and easy travel up. Snow was pretty set up with 10-30cm trail breaking. Ride down was alright some sun/temp crust and definitely not blower like the weekend before.

Sun. Sheltered N facing runs - Money. Snowed 15 cm through the day on top consolidated snow from last week. Knee to thigh deep where we were. Definitely worth skiing in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    What are the legal/courtesy implications associated with human-powered touring inside the Mustang permit area (or those of their neighbors CMH and Selkirk-Tangiers)?
    There are no legal implications presuming they are using crown land. You can ski there if you want as long as you are doing it for recreation and not as a business (eg guiding clients there).

Its just not very polite especially because Mustang are pretty decent neighbours

Great when I left a couple days ago.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Thanks for all the beta... I am gonna be patient and wait a few more days. 450 a day is a deal for what Mustang provides. But it's still a lot of $. Good news about the coverage. I'd love to do some skiing. Going up tomorrow to Hood.

Thank you for everything. I am up at the lodge right now. Snow is blower ontop of consolidAted. I am in the fast cat and this really cute British ripper chick just got put into our cat. She smiles at me funny. Heaven. They just built a bunch of roads further into their tenure. We are going out ther tomorrow.

did you burn yourself with epoxy again? could be why she smiles funny, that or english teeth. heading up there on the 29th for new years, try not to fall too much and bomb hole everything. have a good one, enjoy

have fun extreeski. you still hitting NYE?

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski View Post
    Thank you for everything. I am up at the lodge right now. Snow is blower ontop of consolidAted. I am in the fast cat and this really cute British ripper chick just got put into our cat. She smiles at me funny. Heaven. They just built a bunch of roads further into their tenure. We are going out ther tomorrow.
    North I take it? Have fun!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Funny crashidy. We saved all the huckable stuff for you. Actually today was one of the best days of my life.

Aaron, Yes we ventured all the way to the north shore. We skied everthing we could between the lodge and the furthest reaches. Still so many untracked zones. But the sun hammered the lower elevation southern aspects. Everything else was boot deep faceted snow.

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski View Post
    Funny crashidy. We saved all the huckable stuff for you. Actually today was one of the best days of my life.
    so you scored pow AND the british ripper chick?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Just the pow....

Amateur TR to come.