Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Four year old girl injured in fall from Alta Chairlift

Hope this girl comes out of this alright. I'm getting my five year old up on the lifts this year. I'm good to ride the lifts but as soon as my girls get on I get a bit squeamish. Vibes for this girl.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14034027?source=rss

JBird I highly recommend a lucky bums harness, they have a great big grab loop on the back.

When I am on the chair with my 3 year old I wrap my arm through the back of the chair and hold onto that loop the entire ride.

It also makes it easier to help them on and off the chair.

I hope this girl makes it through this ok, kids are pretty resilient.

A passenger on a nearby chair noticed the girl face down in the snow and called 911, Smith said.
    When the ski patrol arrived, the girl was still face down and not breathing, Smith said. CPR was used to revive her.
    She was also riding on the chair with a woman, but the relationship between the two was unknown, Smith said.
    what
    the
    fuck
    holy fucking shitballs

What parent would let a 4 year old get on a lift with someone other than a close family member is beyond explanation? Worse yet, is the fact that that person didn't report the girl taking a 30-40' drop to the chin. We have our wacko's in NY, and several must have been vacationing out there.

+Vibes for the girl....and hopes that she gets new parents...if the article is accurate.
    Low post count because I'm too busy working and then skiing, but not neccessarily in that order.

don't get me started. !!! some people want to blame Alta http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...&comments=true

I hope this does not kill the free ski after 3...

fucking retards

what did they think this was Disneyland! ?

Sad day, hope the kid is ok...
    I have two young boys, one that is 5.
    I watch him like a hawk. He thinks he can ride the lift on his own, and wants to do it on his own, but.. no way. I'm not loosing him. shit happens when you don't pay attention.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    don't get me started. !!! some people want to blame Alta http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...&comments=true

I hope this does not kill the free ski after 3...

fucking retards

what did they think this was Disneyland! ?

Sad day, hope the kid is ok...
    I have two young boys, one that is 5.
    I watch him like a hawk. He thinks he can ride the lift on his own, and wants to do it on his own, but.. no way. I'm not loosing him. shit happens when you don't pay attention.
    Yeah this is pretty sad. How can you let a child that young go on the lift without a parent or someone very trustworthy.

Yo Mac, I can only speak for colorado but the reason they stop scanning here in the late afternoon is because of their resorts' agreement with the forest service. Not really sure why, but they are required to let people on after 3 w/o scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Yeah this is pretty sad. How can you let a child that young go on the lift without a parent or someone very trustworthy.

Yo Mac, I can only speak for colorado but the reason they stop scanning here in the late afternoon is because of their resorts' agreement with the forest service. Not really sure why, but they are required to let people on after 3 w/o scanning.
    Here the "free after 3" is a promotion. It's only for the beginner lifts, but they've been doing it for several years. It brings out a lot of kids and people who want to learn to ski without spending too much money, but I'm sure it works out in the long run because people want access to other lifts before long and will start buying tickets/passes. It would be really sad to see that go away.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

unless there is more info somewhere, i think you are jumping the bandwagon here. the article just said they didn't know the relationship between the woman and the 4 yo. that doesn't mean it's not her mother, just that they didn't know. also it could have been reported by the woman on a nearby chair for any number of reasons.
    i rarely use the safety bars, but always do with my kids.

Vibes to the girl and her family.

As for young kids riding the lift without their parents, this is actually common practice (or at least used to be, when I was a kids' ski instructor back at Sugarbush in 2001). With kids as young as 4, we would find random adults in the liftline and ask them if they felt comfortable riding with them. In other words, if you're not comfortable with this policy, I would suggest you not put your 4-year-olds in ski-school.

One time, I had a 5 year old student duck under the safety bar to chase a dropped glove and I had to catch her by the arm to prevent her falling. We were up 30 or 40 feet on flattish hard-pack, and it would have been really bad. Relatedly, my sister fell off a chairlift at Steamboat when she was 5 or 6 and busted her nose up, but fortunately suffered no major injuries.

Unfortunately, bad things sometimes can happen in this sport. Vibes again to the girl and her family for a speedy, healthy recovery and more skiing.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

From reading ksl.com, it looks like the girl's gonna be ok. That's some scary shit. I agree with the harness idea. The big handle on the back makes it really easy to hold onto them.

Wow, as you might expect, there are some really idiotic responses posted.

I hope the ski free after 3 program continues as I know many people that have taken advantage of it over the years.

I also hope the little girl makes a full recovery and gets back to shedding it soon.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    when i used to be an adaptive ski coach, we used climbing harness's and hooked a carabeener to the back loop so that it can be attached to the chair for athletes prone to seizures, involuntary spasms, etc. Worked like a charm
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

KSL's posters make TGR's all appear to be ivy leaguers. The Poli-asses are close, but are still a shy comparison from the stupid over there.

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post

One time, I had a 5 year old student duck under the safety bar to chase a dropped glove and I had to catch her by the arm to prevent her falling. We were up 30 or 40 feet on flattish hard-pack, and it would have been really bad. R
    Had the same thing happen to me at bridger a couple seasons ago. The little dude was scared for a minute then proceeded to thank me. I helped him off the lift and I think he just continued on with his day not knowing what could have happened.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I think this teaches us that taking a little dude(ette) up on the chair with us and looking out for them is a small thing that can make a huge difference. You can always smoke trees on the next lift ride or do a safety meeting in the woods. And if you chat with the little ones I guarantee you they will make you laugh. Give your ears a rest from the tunes too.

OK, I'll step down from my soapbox.

At least no one got hit in the head with a bar...quite the relief there.

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

My youngest (7) still freaks me out on the lift. Last year, after riding the lifts for three years, she forgets to slide off at the top of the lift, wait a sec then decides "wtf, I'll just jump". She fell about 10 ft to the ramp and slid to the bottom in a heap. I was scared, but she got up, a little teary and skied down and got right back on.

fall

When my two sons were little rippers I would take my poles and put them horizontally across their lap and if there was not anyone else on the chair (or if it was a double)I would stick the other end through the arm rest so they were pretty much locked in.

(BTW for those that don't know there are no safety bars at Alta)

The good news here is the fact that Alta has slow and low lifts and tons of soft snow to fall into! Probably saved her!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    At least no one got hit in the head with a bar...quite the relief there.
    No shit, right? Someone remind me again why having safety bars on beginners lifts is bad...

I always volunteer to take kids at the Bird. Hell, both of mine are in Ski school when we're there, I'd hope others are being as careful with mine as I am with theirs.

Its got to be tough to trust your kids to others on the lifts...if you are not able to handle the responabilty of helping a youngster out by accompanying him or her on the lift then don't do it....doing it means treating them like your own child and making sure they get to the top to enjoy the ride down.....KEEP YOUR EYES ON THEM AT ALL TIMES AND THINK AHEAD...like a dropped glove they will chase.....
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    Its got to be tough to trust your kids to others on the lifts...if you are not able to handle the responabilty of helping a youngster out by accompanying him or her on the lift then don't do it....doing it means treating them like your own child and making sure they get to the top to enjoy the ride down.....KEEP YOUR EYES ON THEM AT ALL TIMES AND THINK AHEAD...like a dropped glove they will chase.....
    Good point. Whenever I ride the lift with a micro-grommet, I pay 100% attention to the little bugger for the whole ride. It's the least I can do. Can you imagine being five years old and having to ride the lift with some lame-o that is ignoring you because he's too cool or too self absorbed?
    I wonder what REALLY went down?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

This is a horrible thing to have happen. I hope this little one makes a full recovery.

The vast majority of "strangers" do their best to look out for little ones when they are near by. I often will stop to help them retrieve skis or other items they may have droped while I am skiing down. And I don't mind sharing the lift with a child on a lift from time to time. But as a parent--don't assume that we know that your kid is not used to riding on a lift and is going to jump off after a favorite toy or glove they just droped. If your kid is like that, then you need to teach them better before you let them ride by their self or with a stranger who doesn't know your kid...

Holy scary. I am in the "have 5 year old too" boat, just starting and she does have that harness which I LOVE. Only mom and dad ride the chair with my kid though, only one I got.

Vibes to the little girl, very sad.

Any wasatch mags hear an update on this little ripper?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's