Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Who is going to be at Whitegrass on Sunday? Thinking about doing an epic from Harrisonburg through to WV Sunday morning...

You go earn your turns. I'll be at Whitetail - Blue jacket, Black Bros, Snowbird-stickered Giro Fullface for no reason, short person laughing her ass of as my accoutrement.

I still haven't been to Wintergreen, but it's only 30 minutes from here. Worth a drive down tomorrow? We're getting crapped on with more to come...that's not enough for some more terrain to open up?

Although, it took me damn near 4 hours to do my 15 minute drive home from work. The prospect of getting out on the road again with those people could be enough to keep me at home.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm going to have to have a morning audible between Liberty and urban skiing. Whitetail would be in the running, but I need to pick up my pass from Liberty first ...

thats disappointing that timberline doesnt have more open for this storm, always my favorite place to go when we lived back in wv.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    Who is going to be at Whitegrass on Sunday? Thinking about doing an epic from Harrisonburg through to WV Sunday morning...
    Strooooooong maybe for that, will see what roads are like this afternoon after a morning sesh at RT.

Maybe 7 Springs tomorrow. I have to graduate today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

I have decided on Whitetail Sunday, may earn some turns at the local high school tonight.

Elk Mountain TR 12/16-12/18

Back from a nice 3 day trip campin in the Endless mountains and skiing Elk for opening day Wed and leaving Friday afternoon. Opening day had 2 skiworthy trails open, Susquehanna and Tioga. 1st day was death cookie day, but my LP's were up to the task and crushed every cookie into a fine powdery product. This ski keeps impressing me the more I ride it. It's officially my go to ski for the season. Crowds were nil, day camp for me was in the picnic lodge where I rekindled a few ski season friendships with some of the regulars/locals from the area. The firepit was roaring and good chow was consumed along with beer and shots. Dinner was at Chet's and the Pilot Inn had a spare room in the back located near the base of the mountain. Overnite we got 4-5 inches of lake effect, the guns made snow all nite, and the groomers vaporized 99% of the cookies. Upper Tunk was opened by lunch, I was 1st chair, 1st trax, and poached a pre-lunch run down Seneca (lift line) where drift off Susquehanna, the SWesterly winds overnite and the lake effect snow left some nice powdery dunes on skier's right. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the day and nite. Friday was the coldest by far, AM temp 5 degrees, no new snow overnite, but the blowers and groomers kept going. 2nd chair up to pristine cordurouy (if there's such a thing) and I was a lapdog with no crowds until 10:30 when I met up with a lady friend who can really rip. We made many runs together, along with other peeps that joined the fun. They headed for lunch around 12 and I kept going, foregoing lunch and planning to leave a little earlier instead for daylite driving. Bid farewell to all, hit the road by 2, made a reservation for Jan 20-22 at Chet's, a quick shot of Jeremiah Weed, and home again. Pix below are in no particular order.

Started each AM with a little Al.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6uDBi_vtc&feature=related"]YouTube- Al Jarreau - Mornin[/ame]
    Silent....but shredly.

If anyone wants to pick me up in Old Town Alexandria I'll pay for gas for the entire trip to whereever you're (we're) going.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

elk mtn

They call it the half way house and I believe the moutain manager hates that place because all the locals dont buy/or use the main lodge. That place is always fun . The older locals in there make that place a party . Elk can be a lot of fun once you get enough snow to ski the trees. BUT the patrol will try and clip your ticket. During the week patrol is a lot cooler about tree skiing. Brings back alot of good pow day memories.

I used the official name since most folks haven't been there. If they closed it up they'd lose about 200 season passholders. Besides, it's the original main lodge, and I don't think the owner cares about losing money, he doesn't make any off of Elk anyway. He's got zillions, and will prolly make a zillion more off NG in the county.
    Silent....but shredly.

watch for slab avalanches

Going any where is max sketchy till Monday. Might make it up to Deerbutt then. Humping it up to the Bolivar surrender site to do some laps in heavy dumpage. Had plans to do all kinds of BC but not today.

We are close to 2' on the yardstick.
    watch out for snakes

rallying, 19.8" reported in Davis 1pm. RT was fun this the morning, bracing for the commute to the valley, loaded for bear, hope to be there by midnight. WG in the morn, probably skinning for turns on Jaks, or Bros, or Guides...

Faceshots at Massanutten this morning. Hearing some grim reports of WV road conditions, with numerous closures due to accidents. Curious whether 33 through to Canaan would be a poor decision, tomicogs, will be interested to hear you take on road passibility.

I64 in WV was closed for a while yesterday w/ accidents blocking both directions of travel.

Friends in Elkins, Summersville, and the Valley all say its pretty treacherous on all roads. Photo attached of a back road entering 33 near Elkins, from a friend. He said that the rear windshield of this truck says "Insane Redneck," which is apt, because apparently you need to be insane to be driving down there in that mess.

Timberline is generally cool w/ skinning up (or at least used to be), and Salamander is a gentle grade for booting up, if you can make it to the Valley.

I've lurked here for a few years now and even though I'm just a (soon to be) dentist JONG, I figure this is as good a thread to make my first post as any. I'll be at Whitetail as close to opening as possible tomorrow with a few friends. I'll be the short guy on Extremes, black TNF pants, gray jacket. One buddy will be on Kung Fujas, red jacket. Not sure what the others will be wearing, but they'll be on snowboards.

I'll keep an eye out for Bros.

I know I'm probably getting my hopes up unnecessarily, but the idea that I'll actually be skiing on natural snow in this area has me more excited than I've ever been to ski around here

Haha..I might do a spit take seeing someone on bros at Whitetail.
    I'll probably hit Liberty or maybe Seven Springs in the couple days following Christmas.
    Haven't been to either in years.

Quote Originally Posted by gmdesigner View Post
    Haha..I might do a spit take seeing someone on bros at Whitetail.
    I'll probably hit Liberty or maybe Seven Springs in the couple days following Christmas.
    Haven't been to either in years.
    I actually saw somebody with them at Wisp a year or two ago. Only pair I've seen in person.

watch out for snakes

hillbilly hippie tele buds @ whitegrass today

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    hillbilly hippie tele buds @ whitegrass today
    My rational brain just has trouble believing this pic..

bo-leeve it! or better yet. come ski at whitegrass in canaan tommorrow (today really) and ski for yourself. more whitegrass fun......... oh, these local boys are skiing on nnnbc xc gear too.......

yeah, it was that good, better, made turns in places that I've been waiting for years to be in, Baldy Face then on into Cathedral=$$$$. knee deep, slutty face shots if you milked it, lots of unexciting pics, solo dawn patrol from 6:30ish-2ish, so no action shots.

roads were passable, 40-50mph the whole way, 81-70-68-220-50-93. timed it perfect to be about an hour behind the last plow pass, lucky with that, mtn roads no worse than the interstate, just deer instead of semis.

will post pics once sorted thru..

wow.