Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I am going to try to make it out to WV for a little exploring around Whitegrass. If anyone wants to recommend or show us a spot ... Ms. Shred and I are not the fastest on the skin track, but we're capable of buying beers and have an avy 2 and a wfr between the two of us. Plus we'll bring the dogs. The dogs can carry beers, but they smell terrible. So that's a trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I am going to try to make it out to WV for a little exploring around Whitegrass. If anyone wants to recommend or show us a spot ... Ms. Shred and I are not the fastest on the skin track, but we're capable of buying beers and have an avy 2 and a wfr between the two of us. Plus we'll bring the dogs. The dogs can carry beers, but they smell terrible. So that's a trade-off.
    for skinnin', head up to RoundTop as direct as possible, then on up to Bald Knob for the view. Anything that looks good to ski, probably is. All kinds of good glades in close to the main slope or off of DoubleTrouble down into Anita's, good skiing in Sawmill Bowl also. Or, from Bald, head out the pipeline to Weiss/Nat'l Nord and spin laps out there (kind of a slog w/ skins though...)

oh...puppies are frowned upon in the main area unfortunately, 'tis a nordic ski center after all, set track, skating lanes.... There is a doggy loop out FR 70(?) I think, never really skied out there, but there's gotta be good terrain to explore..they'll give you the scoop at the lodge I'm sure.

safe travels everybody!

I spoke to someone on the phone and they told me the pup can head up into the Dolly Sods/National Forest area with me by skinning up a FS road. I guess we'll see how this shapes up.

Going to Snowshoe for the weekend. Staying in Elkins tomorrow night if anyone is around and wants to put down a few brews at one of the local establishments.

hey tomi, dont be giving up all the stashes on the board now! Anyone needs a guide for the sick lines at WG see Tomi tho, (or me) he knows whats up!
    If you are exploring into dolly sods and backcountry bring a freakin gps or compass please. Its way easy to get dis-oriented in the very untraveled high country..even for people who have been here for a long time have spent the night out there unexpectedly.

btw.. barely a dusting on the ground in canaan this am so far. sanjaun: who iz you? you one of the canaan heights boys?

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    hey tomi, dont be giving up all the stashes on the board now! Anyone needs a guide for the sick lines at WG see Tomi tho, (or me) he knows whats up!
    If you are exploring into dolly sods and backcountry bring a freakin gps or compass please. Its way easy to get dis-oriented in the very untraveled high country..even for people who have been here for a long time have spent the night out there unexpectedly.

btw.. barely a dusting on the ground in canaan this am so far.
    nawww, I'm only giving up the basics, plenty of good skiing there. I've spent years figuring the lay of the land, why would I wanna deprive ya'll of the same pleasure?

Planning to ski w/ housemates tomorrow, guide services are booked. Should be back at the lodge for a late lunch, afternoon laps to follow...

I'll be heading from state college to blue knob tomorrow. . . assuming i can get my car up the mountain.

I'd bet whittail would be better.

The report from Morgantown, WV so far is rain (but lots of it). We're at about 1000'. Looks like the high valley is getting it, and just up the ridge (2500') to the east I'm getting reports of 6" and accumulating. Crossing fingers for overnite temps to fall enough for the white stuff. Regardless of where you're at...this isn't the snow that fell a few weeks ago...think wet.

Should be fun, though

Going to be at whitetail with the wife. Thanks to some screw malfunctions in two different skis during a binding swap tonight I'll be on praxis pows all day, should be pretty easy to spot, white helmet, red jacket.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

If I can get there from Rockville, I'm going to Whitetail in the morning. My buddy has a 4-Runner so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm hoping the crowds tomorrow look like they do on the webcams right now (non-existent).

This is by far the best winter in this area I can remember.

I am pretty desperate to ski some deep snow and have monday off. Strongly considering a quick trip to the southern mid-atlantic to join the fun. In what direction should one coming from western NY head? I see whitetail being mentioned and its not a terrible drive. Timberline is a little farther, snowshoe is a little farther still. I'd plan on being there sunday, looks like there should be some soft stuff left?

Red face

The entire area is under a state of em er gency, travel is highly not recommended. We got 2'+ and the power has been off and back on. I got some BG's mounted up and ready to go but just not gonna happen today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sbutts1963/20100206#
    Last edited by scottyb; 02-06-2010 at 05:35 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    I am pretty desperate to ski some deep snow and have monday off. Strongly considering a quick trip to the southern mid-atlantic to join the fun. In what direction should one coming from western NY head? I see whitetail being mentioned and its not a terrible drive. Timberline is a little farther, snowshoe is a little farther still. I'd plan on being there sunday, looks like there should be some soft stuff left?
    You can get to Whitetail aka Deerbutt from I 81 or I 70/68, getting to Canaan Valley will be iffy but the pow shots there would be epic.
    watch out for snakes

Skied knee deep heavy pow last night, car is snowed in at 7 Springs, slept on the floor in the lodge. Skiing today is looking epic! If anyone happens to be here, I'll be in a red ski school jacket and on Punishers.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

careful out there MA mags! i'd be riding with beacon on...esp at wisp

ENJOY DUDES AND DUDDETTES! POST PICTURES!
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

I wanted to get out to WV today but got stuck in DC due to too much snow (how's that for irony?).

So I did the next best thing: I hiked over to Georgetown and poached Wisconsin Ave (from R St down). It's the only thing around here that qualifies as a hill.

No photos of it unfortunately since nobody else was able to make it out with me. A large number of complete strangers have some photos though...

here is my photo TR from my drive way

http://picasaweb.google.com/sbutts1963/20100206#
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    I wanted to get out to WV today but got stuck in DC due to too much snow (how's that for irony?).

So I did the next best thing: I hiked over to Georgetown and poached Wisconsin Ave (from R St down). It's the only thing around here that qualifies as a hill.

No photos of it unfortunately since nobody else was able to make it out with me. A large number of complete strangers have some photos though...
    shame that would be a fine tr, and a long run taboot( if you went all the way to the river)!
    edit:
    my wife talked to friend in DC and he said "there were people skiing down whisky ave"
    there are some good little steeps with some cliff drops in rock creek above military, someone go get em

and sugarloaf between dc and fredneck should be sweet
    Last edited by cdlv; 02-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    and sugarloaf between dc and fredneck should be sweet
    I was wondering about that one... It's private property, I think. Anyone skied it?

This is what our parking lot in College Park looked like 2 days after the storm

Some Maryland kids having a good time

www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

Sugarloaf looks doable. TR to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    The report from Morgantown, WV so far is rain (but lots of it). We're at about 1000'. Looks like the high valley is getting it, and just up the ridge (2500') to the east I'm getting reports of 6" and accumulating. Crossing fingers for overnite temps to fall enough for the white stuff. Regardless of where you're at...this isn't the snow that fell a few weeks ago...think wet.

Should be fun, though
    Might have been heavier snow when it was falling, but the cold snap seemed to dry it out a bit. Amazing weekend and might have driven a total of 15 minutes to ski...what a winter so far.

another foot of blowing snow today, dayum!

yesterday at Canaan, had to bug out early due to travel home
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/9340517"]last run at Canaan Valley in the heavy pow pow, 2-09-10 on Vimeo[/ame]

Gonna try to hit up the Deerbutt Thursday, if I can get there.

on BG's
    watch out for snakes

Whitetail closed their resort today on the best conditions of the last 10+ years. They F'ing SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    watch out for snakes