Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I've always wanted to ski off the back side of the knob to Pavia. It's like 1,500' vert.
    great mountain biking on the backside. killer climb up from pavia. 1500 vert legit on all singletrack. the descent on rockin ridge rivals anything in northern new england. love that place!!!

a ski descent would be pretty flat tho all in all.

rog

Just skied the south-facing pipeline off of Weiss Knob, WV. Pretty sweet. I got about 1,300 vert before I thought better of continuing.

Just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by Grape_Ape; 01-05-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: just checked topo map and revised my vertical. Fuck yeah.

Just skied the south-facing pipeline off of Weiss Knob, WV. Pretty sweet. I got about 1,300 vert before I thought better of continuing.

she's a rocky bugger. any good looks at the crayon?

rog

Yep that a good one, the bottom usually gets a bit skanky but if you got a car shuttle its nice. Did not think it would be doable this far into the season. Way to get on it.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    ^ There are extensive logging roads all over that hill and lots of people in the area with 4 wheelers/snowmobiles, if you do some general exploration there are tons of options.
    I wouldn't mind taking a day trip out there with you if they get nuked and the planets align for a carpool, dood. it's about the only resort in PA I haven't skied that interests me at this point.
    Silent....but shredly.

Skied 7 Springs this weekend. 1st V-dub's advice was spot-on. I tried the front side the morning of the first day, but once I went to the North Face area, I never went back. Surface conditions were better and the runs were much longer -- almost a feeling of a western ski area. Good bumps under the Gunnar liftline, but some areas are totally skied to the ground in the troughs. The runs where they haven't been making snow can definitely use a surface refresher. Still, a lot of fun. We'll be back!

Quote Originally Posted by johndc View Post
    Skied 7 Springs this weekend. 1st V-dub's advice was spot-on. I tried the front side the morning of the first day, but once I went to the North Face area, I never went back. Surface conditions were better and the runs were much longer -- almost a feeling of a western ski area. Good bumps under the Gunnar liftline, but some areas are totally skied to the ground in the troughs. The runs where they haven't been making snow can definitely use a surface refresher. Still, a lot of fun. We'll be back!
    Glad you had a good time! Saturday definitely seemed like a winner of a day, I just couldn't get up there and just played in the snow with the fam instead. I figured gunnar tree-line was down to grass in troughs, as are pretty much all of the mogul runs. This week isn't going to help anything, but at least they have "the alley" open now for all of your jibbing pleasure.

Hit me up next time you go up there. I'm always looking for new guys to ride with and I live like 30 minutes away.

chris

Any Mid A mags interested in rolling up to new england next week 15-18th?
    Long range forecast has potential for tues- friday .
    I'm in MD just outside annapolis .
    420 a plus and no fucking rap music .

Looks like anything natural snow/off piste will be starting over with this warm spell including several days in the upper 50s. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking a day trip out there with you if they get nuked and the planets align for a carpool, dood. it's about the only resort in PA I haven't skied that interests me at this point.
    I'm down, my knowledge of the place is really from State College kids that went to Altoona. They also did alot of exploring in the 7 mtns/laurel highlands with decent results.

Further north is the PA "Grand" Canyon, there are interesting lines up there including a couple of 1500 vert 50 degree pipeline cuts. Nobody would mistake it for something other than PA but its pretty cool if you live here or are from here. Apparently there was a book about skiing around the Pine river but nobody I know has ever been able to find it.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    she's a rocky bugger. any good looks at the crayon?

rog
    On my skin back up, I found a rock just poking above the snow. It was a piece of granite about the size of a toaster oven. I did my deed and picked the fucker up and threw it in the woods.

I was lucky that day to not hit any of those. Roll the dice!

Any recommendations for a NOVA/DC area ski shop to do a sidewall repair on a Lhasa Pow?
    Just a small epoxy repair, but I'd like to find someone who has a clue.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pause View Post
    Any recommendations for a NOVA/DC area ski shop to do a sidewall repair on a Lhasa Pow?
    Just a small epoxy repair, but I'd like to find someone who has a clue.
    Thanks
    Yep- call Brian Deely and see if he'll do it. SKIBOOTDC or some shit. Hold on, I'll find it in a bit. He's in Leesburg or summatt.

Edit: this dude- http://www.pro-fitski.com/

+1 for Brain Deely at profitski/skate, best bootfitter in the area!
    watch out for snakes

Thanks for the rec on Brian. I'll give him a call.

Had my first ever Mid-Atlantic ski day this weekend. My wife is in DC, so I'm here part time. She wanted to go skiing to keep up her improvement from last weekend in VT, so we headed to Whitetail. I admit I wasn't too excited given the temperatures, fairly high price, and (I expected) crowds.

But I had a blast. Like every time I click in. The warm temperatures slushed up the manmade snow (and corned up the underlayer) and it soon bumped up so where I thought there would be little of interest there was some fun slush bump skiing and a fairly uncrowded part of the mountain. I was very pleasantly surprised and my wife (who's an intermediate skier who hates the cold), had a great day.

Yup last weekend was pretty pleasant. While I love spring skiing it sure would be nice to get some snow back on the ground. I saw more boats than skis on the way home from Canaan Valley last weekend, bet the river was crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Yup last weekend was pretty pleasant. While I love spring skiing it sure would be nice to get some snow back on the ground. I saw more boats than skis on the way home from Canaan Valley last weekend, bet the river was crowded.

Yeah the creeks and rivers have been cranking although there are a ton of trees choking up many runs.

Was able to get my kitchen remodel done.

Looks like cold temps are back and good chance of snow for the valley this weekend and of course I have to work.
    watch out for snakes

Can't get any outside work done in all this rain so played around and put some clips together from the last few days of 2012 from a corporate ski resort out in West Va. just before the Jan thaw hit. We gotta take what we can get around these parts.

Thanks for the memories H12. That was a cool week, nice video.

Scottyb, work? You need to find someone to pay you to ski on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Scottyb, work? You need to find someone to pay you to ski on the weekends.
    Ya'no, I have heard this b4. Ginny was telling me that too.

I have Mon-Thurs off for the next three weeks. You around mid week at all?
    watch out for snakes

Haha here i am busting on you and I won't be back down until Feb 2. I can stick around for a Monday though. You really didn't miss much especially Saturday. Sounds like conditions should start resembling winter again, as we speak. Maybe even some freshies.

edit: actually Saturday the only way uphill at Tslime was human powered until about 3:00pm so maybe that was the day you didn't want to miss .

Looks like the Canaan Valley is now into its fourth full snow-total-meltout cycle of the season.

What are conditions like in the Canaan Valley area this weekend? Are off-piste/glades a go? I'm getting the itch to make a day trip to Timberline tomorrow if things look good. They have had 10 inches since Thursday plus a pretty good chunk forecasted for now through tomorrow.

Anybody interested in a long day trip from the Columbus Ohio area on Sunday? Its not ideal, but it is doable.

Usually, Chip's updates at Whitegrass are a good resource for off-piste conditions. Sounds pretty thin, but skiable if you're brave.

http://whitegrass.com/report.html

I'm leading the ski improvement clinic out there next week with the ski club of dc. It's not a bad deal for lift tickets, lodging, and morning clinics. Hopefully the decent conditions will hang on for us.

http://www.scwdc.org/index.php?view=...list&Itemid=54

My wife was supposed to come up from DC and visit me in New Haven this weekend to go skiing. She decided Thursday night that after all our rain, she was going to stay down there as conditions were better in West Virginia. This was from a girl who two years ago could barely ski at all. I'm so in love. A bit jealous, but in love...