Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    ^ Major storm forecast well south of you. looking like close to 20 inches over 2 days beech/sugar.

Thinking hard about this weekend...those kind of numbers VERY rare around here
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    ^ Major storm forecast well south of you. looking like close to 20 inches over 2 days beech/sugar.

Thinking hard about this weekend...those kind of numbers VERY rare around here
    Last time I skied Beech with over 20" of fresh the place was deserted in the morning. There wasn't even a liftee at the base of the quad. Ski patrols took turns watching the shut off button while we skied laps of self service lift rides. The early morning drive up was pretty sketchy but the Forester with good tires got me there. This one's setting up like it will lay a bunch if ice through the middle of the state. Best to book a place up there and get there a day before it hits. Saving my ski pennies for a scout troop trip first weekend of Feb or Laurel Mountain gathering the same weekend.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It should be good down thar.

Found out Sun is WV residents ski free at the Shoe.

I hear her voice, in the morning hours she calls me...

Quote Originally Posted by Unofficial
    [Snowshoe] has the #14 deepest snowpack in North America, which is nutty considering that Jackson Hole’s base depth is currently measuring an inch less.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/...north-america/

They are flat out killing it, skied there yesterday in very nice packed powder/machine groomed conditions again. I lost count around 30 new TITan ducted fan snow guns and probably more of the up graded stick guns. Several more slopes looked ready to push out and be opened. If they open Cuppy and Lower Shays it will be the first time in 10 years they have done so this early.

Somebody had a good day today up in Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk. Looked outside around 4am to see about 4-5 inches on the deck. Power went out around 8. There was about 8-10 inches by then. Teens went out to play in it, took the dog for a little while. I fired up the grill to fry up chili components and then mixed them up in a pot. Knocked the snow piling up off the out buildings, one gazebo canopy collapsed before I got to it.
    We got another 3-4 inches after I tool this photo. It turned to rain/freezing rain by about noon. So, there was a short window of goods before it turned to cement. Folks who had lodging up at or very near a ski hill won the lottery this morning. No doubt they groomed it all down pretty much immediately though so it will last through the holidays.

Never get tired of getting to knock this off my ski car. Too bad this time it wasn't where there was any skiing.

I will click on to some snow blades or my tele rig tonight and hit the neighborhood hills under the moon. Which I pick will depend on how much the rain washes away. Oh, and I'm already sore as hell from shoveling the driveway, front porch, and back deck.

Had a good day at the Shoe, except for getting stuck on Powder monkey lift for 25 minutes near the top in the wind tunnel zone.

Cupp and upper Shays were open with killer packed pow and plenty of loose down both sides. Snowed at least 4" while I was there and still dumping when I left. Hooked up with the Valley crew and eventually found my buddy and his daughter for several runs to finish out the day.

Saw about 6 cars in the ditch coming down the mtn to Cass.

Currently stuck at Wintergreen. About 10" of snow and still falling. Conditions were pretty solid today, but they only opened up two trails. Should be a great base for the season, though, especially if it freezes over this week.

Quote Originally Posted by stec06 View Post
    Currently stuck at Wintergreen. About 10" of snow and still falling. Conditions were pretty solid today, but they only opened up two trails. Should be a great base for the season, though, especially if it freezes over this week.
    Is 151 all shut down with wrecks?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Is 151 all shut down with wrecks?
    Dunno, never made it off the mountain. I81 was closed for a bit, according to Google maps.

cat is, as you probably know, 100% open incl meadows. Lapped it exclusively monday but Steezus christ. the lift line picked up steady 11-ish and by 11:30 rivaled a holliday. Which i guess it was with the school cancellations. by 1:00 PM it was ridceoulous. 9-11 AM was pretty sweet though. Very heavy snow marks the third time I caught the meadows open since...gulp...1976...
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    cat is, as you probably know, 100% open incl meadows. Lapped it exclusively monday but Steezus christ. the lift line picked up steady 11-ish and by 11:30 rivaled a holliday. Which i guess it was with the school cancellations. by 1:00 PM it was ridceoulous. 9-11 AM was pretty sweet though. Very heavy snow marks the third time I caught the meadows open since...gulp...1976...
    I've only skied Cat one weekend, spending most of that time carrying around 4 and 5 year olds. It did get crazy around noon Saturday. I went back Sunday morning, post ice storm and skied death cookies all by myself all morning. Ya, those low grade glades did look like they'd be fun on a snow day.

So our little ski bump has yet to benefit from being acquired by Peak Resorts. New management can lick my balls. Piling up snow and refusing to open simply for bottom line reasons is pretty soy. The worst part is they won’t even make a reasoned guess or attempt to communicate what their plans may be to pass holders. It used to open first and was the center of a 3 Hill universe. Alas, no more.

Wintergreen managed to get Highlands open with some decent bumps up top. Conditions were soft and fun yesterday, but some brown spots were emerging fast.

WTG just not catching a break with the weather after that early Dec dump. Haven’t been down yet but hoping they can nurse some more trails open for next weekend

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Looks better after Tuesday.

I would post some stoke but the app is broken and the mobile version of the site is fucked.

Skiing at Whitetail if anyone is around.

My buddy was at deerbutt Fri and Sat. They are trying hard to make snow and get more slopes open.

They suffered pretty hard with the warm up and rain.

Conditions should be much better.

I had a solid 9" of snow at my place.

Could winter be coming back?

Longer term forecasts have a serious polar vortex hitting next week along with southern jet stream pushing moisture up. Perfect set up for BIG snow. Game on in about 10 days..

Was up at Jack Frost yesterday and was surprised how good conditions were, especially since mountain was pretty empty due to PM Eagles game. Great first day out in PA after a decent late Dec trip to VT.

In DC for work. Should have brought some XCs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2186.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	264427

Looks to be around 10”
    27° 18°

I was there over the weekend. They opened up the slopes for everyone at 8am yesterday in hopes of a power day, but they got about 3" that rapidly turned to sleet and freezing rain for most of the day. Bummer. It was pretty much dust on crust. Hoping they have a good stretch of snowmaking before the holiday weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    WTG just not catching a break with the weather after that early Dec dump. Haven’t been down yet but hoping they can nurse some more trails open for next weekend

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tlinesnowmaker.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	264567

Here is a picture of Tlines snow making effort.

And then there is this.

http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/W...ivityID=511139

Cat meadows day monday 12-10, think I got the date right. very rarely in NC does it look like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	648.8 KB 
ID:	264701
    "Can't you see..."