Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Anyone still living in the mid-atlantic know what the skinning policy is at Snowshoe? Looking to head DOWN for the megasnowicanefrankenstorm.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Anyone still living in the mid-atlantic know what the skinning policy is at Snowshoe? Looking to head DOWN for the megasnowicanefrankenstorm.
    Ditto...
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I would not go to Snowshoe- I would head for Timberline/Canaan Valley. Better terrain, and no qualms from patrol about skinning around the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    I would not go to Snowshoe- I would head for Timberline/Canaan Valley. Better terrain, and no qualms from patrol about skinning around the resort.
    Thanks. Question, would there even be patrol at Showshoe in October??? The only people I've seen (really not close to opening) is maybe some mountain staff. Wondering about amount, but always quality. Sandy looks like it cutting further south and Canaan Valley might suffer snow wise.

Roads: what is there to be expected? Example, road to Showshoe. Is it even doable if they get x amount of snow and it's real windy?

Strategy: wondering if you need to be in place when it's going to hit big (winds and rain/snow)(Monday night it would seem now)?

Thanks
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

If I head down, it won' t be before Tuesday. I'd like to give Whitegrass or Timberline a shot if the snow is copious.
    Silent....but shredly.

I seriously doubt there will be much if any patrolling midweek during a storm and they aren't gonna spin lifts for this. Best bet would be skinning the Western territory, park near Arbuckles cabin, place is prolly still shuttered for the season. Maybe check their FB page for current beta and rampant speculation
    Silent....but shredly.

Second the Canaan idea, also there may be a lot of road blockage and power STB. Bring chainsaw and maybe a comealong. Go to Whitegrass. Camp at the state park area.

FK Blowshoe
    watch out for snakes

The road up the mtn to Snowshoe could be a disaster- the crews will be hard pressed to keep even the main roads clear, if its snowing as hard as they say it might, so you could be pushing snow with your front bumper.

Nice thing about Canaan Valley is that 32 is enough of a big road that there will be crews trying to keep it clear.

You guys are right about patrol- its too early for them to be around. I just worry about the more corporate nature of Snowshoe leading to someone driving by freaking out about liability and asking people not to ski closed slopes. Timberline and Whitegrass are much cooler about that kind of thing.

All of this being said, I've skied Western Territory during an early season dump, and it is a blast if its got the coverage.

There are also places like Spruce Knob rec area to play around in, of course the access may be an issue.

Plus it is Klown season, ie hunting.
    watch out for snakes

Decisions, decisions!

I was looking at that one western territory pod on snowshoe and the elevation and thinking about the light snow as much as anything. But it sounds like going from brazen head to the resort could be a real challenge. Almost as much as getting out of manhattan Monday if this thing really is the end of days.

Whitegrass looks like a sweet place, but does it have the steeps if this thing lays down four feet of glop? And, What's the camping situation there, lean-tos? That would be interesting.... My for season tent really isn't up to hurricane force winds and rain in its old age but placed inside something if no one is around to bother, sick!

Decisions, decisions!

I was looking at that one western territory pod on snowshoe and the elevation and thinking about the light snow as much as anything. But it sounds like going from brazen head to the resort could be a real challenge. Almost as much as getting out of manhattan Monday if this thing really is the end of days.

Whitegrass looks like a sweet place, but does it have the steeps if this thing lays down four feet of glop? And, What's the camping situation there, lean-tos? That would be interesting.... My for season tent really isn't up to hurricane force winds and rain in its old age but placed inside something if no one is around to bother, sick!
    Email Chip via his website, he or one of the boys could show you da goods. WG has some short steepish pitches. Well worth the trip when things are covered for sure.

Not sure I would make an epic drive for Canaancrete.

Camping in bad weather any where around Canaan could be at the very least uncomfortable at the worst a life and death struggle. State resort has camping or hotel would be best bet. Tline also has Dirtbag rooms but not sure if they are up and running for the season.
    watch out for snakes

I'm out until Wednesday now, can't make the trip alone. Where are all the SE maggots for this one?

Where are all the SE maggots for this one?
    JACKSON HOLE. that's where they were when i was last there when canaan was goin off. i can remember it so well. i hooked up with this dood at t-line and he showed me the goods for reelz. steep wide open tree shots from pretty dang near the top to almost the bottom. cold blower on a deep base. nobody was skiing the stuff and i asked him if it was normal to have this stuff to ourselves. he then told me that the "whole gang" had gone to jackson for the week and they were calling in with tales of high pressure skied out crap. and we were laughing

such a fucking cool place/vibe when it's full on winter, or not.

rog

I have a very important meeting scheduled about my TPS reports on Tuesday. But if wifey and I get work canceled and the snow piles up really deep, we will go storm chase.

forecast for WVA is looking pretty promising so far, right into Friday. Absent some storm related issues at home, I'm thinking Wed/Thurs

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...%20WV%2C%20USA
    Silent....but shredly.

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON WV
    457 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON FOR THE HIGHER
    ELEVATIONS...

.THE REMAINS OF HURRICANE SANDY WILL COMBINE WITH AN UPPER LEVEL
    LOW AND A COLD FRONT TO PRODUCE HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS ACROSS
    THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE MOUNTAINS.

WVZ035>038-046-047-290500-
    /O.UPG.KRLX.WS.A.0004.121029T0600Z-121031T1200Z/
    /O.NEW.KRLX.BZ.W.0001.121029T1600Z-121031T2000Z/
    RALEIGH-FAYETTE-NICHOLAS-WEBSTER-POCAHONTAS-RANDOLPH-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BECKLEY...OAK HILL...FAYETTEVILLE...
    MONTGOMERY...SUMMERSVILLE...RICHWOOD...CRAIGSVILLE ...COWEN...
    MARLINTON...ELKINS
    457 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 4 PM EDT
    WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
    WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 4 PM EDT
    WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...BEST CHANCES ACROSS HIGH TERRAIN...BUT CAN NOT BE
    RULED OUT IN THE VALLEYS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW...AND STRONG GUSTY WINDS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...RANGING FROM 1 TO 6 INCHES BELOW 2000
    FEET...TO 1 TO 2 FEET ABOVE 3000 FEET.

* WINDS...INCREASING ON MONDAY WITH GUSTS OF 35 TO 45 MPH. SOME
    OF THE HIGHEST RIDGES COULD GUST TO NEAR 50 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW OVERNIGHT SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS
    HIGH TERRAIN...WITH SOME ACCUMULATIONS OCCURRING SUNDAY NIGHT
    AND EARLY MONDAY. HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS AND STRONGEST WINDS ARE
    EXPECTED MONDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY. LOWER ELEVATIONS MAY
    STRUGGLE TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW. BEST CHANCES FOR CHANGING TO
    SNOW IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS WOULD BE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE HEAVY WET SNOW MAY BRING DOWN TREE LIMBS...
    CAUSING POWER OUTAGES OR FLUCTUATIONS. SNOW LOADING...OR THE
    WEIGHT OF THE SNOW...MAY CAUSE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE...INCLUDING
    COLLAPSING ROOFS. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND WIND WOULD LEAD TO
    REDUCED VISIBILITY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
    EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS
    AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
    CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF
    YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET
    STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF
    WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES.
    Silent....but shredly.

Didn't a couple of mags set off an avi at Snowshoe a few years back trying to skin/climb up some early season heavy dump like this?

Could be somewhere else in the MW/Mid-Atlantic but Snowshoe sticks out in my head. Patrol/Resort employees just wanted to make sure they were ok from what I recall.
    I still call it The Jake.

^^^^^^it was at wisp.

Be careful out there mags. Do some skiing and bring back pics.
    I will be stuck in Balmer but still enjoying the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    ^^^^^^it was at wisp.
    drove by wisp a few times. looks like some good pitch for a storm like this.

rog

If they get over 2.5' (which by wednesday, they should easily exceed especially as the strong backside of the low hits the area - this is when WV usually get hammered), I would try the pipeline off of the back of Weiss Knob. Over 1,500' vert and fun as hell. Be careful as you reach the valley...the lower elevation might be scratchy.

Oh...and I second the fucking snowshoe bit, though the western territory might be fun as it has lots of vert too.

Gear is packed and ready to go if I decide to pull the trigger. Looks like the sweet spot may be a little further south around Snowshoe.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    If they get over 2.5' (which by wednesday, they should easily exceed especially as the strong backside of the low hits the area - this is when WV usually get hammered), I would try the pipeline off of the back of Weiss Knob. Over 1,500' vert and fun as hell. Be careful as you reach the valley...the lower elevation might be scratchy.
    dunno, even the year i skied it following 100" mid jan/early feb, that south facing shot still needed more snow. the warm side of weiss. may not be steep nuff unless yer skiing on barrel staves for skis. rocky as hell, that line.

compaction would be key, may not get it before warm mank sets in.

big mama area could be good. need a snomo to get the 30/40 miles of winding narrow up river fs road at this point. no ones gonna bother to drop a blade.

fun remote skiing up there fer sure and higher than canaan mtns i think.

rog

Moeghoul, I'm packed and ready. We should talk!

Not sure if this was already posted, but STE has a nice summary of webcams in the area:
    http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/1...for-sandy-snow

Canaan: