Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Whitegrass webcam updated every 5 min. Things have really filled in the past few hours. They say they will open.

http://webcam.whitegrass.com/video.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Whitegrass webcam updated every 5 min. Things have really filled in the past few hours. They say they will open.

http://webcam.whitegrass.com/video.jpg
    AHHHH, there it is!!!! POTD. Snowshoe fired up the guns today, I posted a question on the messageboard on their FB page about any restrictions. Who knows, maybe they'll open a lift.
    Silent....but shredly.

^^^ Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'd consider Wednesday or Thursday, this won't be over for a while, wind is starting to pick up and the wraparound from the lakes is the big secret in WV.

This is from a friend in Canaan just a little bit ago------

"we have probably gotten about 6-8 inches of wet sloppy snow already and they weren't calling it to start until 6 pm this evening...we buttoned down a job site in the valley less than 8 miles from my house and I drove over 2 down trees/limbs to get home...it is just starting to get windy here....this is going to be no joke...don't even consider driving up here from any distance...it could be a deadly mistake...I live in the valley and would not even consider trying to drive over Canaan Heights in the next 24 hours atleast...just heard from neighbor that 32 is almost impassible at heights..."

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    ^^^ Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission!
    Yes, grasshopper, but one can still ask for forgiveness if permission is denied and one gets busted.
    Silent....but shredly.

Live update from Snowshoe on TWC in a few minutes
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    http://whitegrass.com/report.html

28 INCHES AS OF THE MORNING REPORT WITH ANOTHER FOOT ON DA WAY!!!

vibes to all folks hit hard by sandy.

great pics kt! looks like fun!

buttah, you could take lynchy, i know i could............NOT!

rain in maine.

rog
    Cannan Valley hit hard!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Cannan Valley hit hard!
    Said it last week. Saying it again. 3-4 feet by thursday am. No problem.

Rts 68,219 and 32 are closed right now, power out, 1 fatality in car accident, STFH for now.

I will be up in Davis sometime on Thursday. Things will keep till then, right now let the emergency crews do their work.

view from chips deck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9786.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	124214
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Said it last week. Saying it again. 3-4 feet by thursday am. No problem.
    3-4 feet... that not Lake effect, that's Three Mile Island/Chernobyl effect.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Rts 68,219 and 32 are closed right now, power out, 1 fatality in car accident, STFH for now.

I will be up in Davis sometime on Thursday. Things will keep till then, right now let the emergency crews do their work.
    I should have read your post before calling White Grass, Canaan, and Timberline in an attempt to get road info -- no responses from any of them.

And Chip has "roads are SUPER closed, helicopter access only" on his website.

I'm planning to come down for some skinning/skiing once road access opens. Would be fun to meet up some with southern brethren!

(I might drive to visit my mother in Binghamton NY Wednesday evening, then drive ~7 hours early Thursday morning to skin/ski Thursday afternoon, then Friday also. Are Canaan and Timberline okay with pre-season skinning & skiing?)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    I would not go to Snowshoe- I would head for Timberline/Canaan Valley. Better terrain, and no qualms from patrol about skinning around the resort.
    Are Timberline and Canaan likely to have road access restored before White Grass?

Also would seem to be convenient (although $$$) to spend the night in the resort lodging right at the base of one of them.

Canaan has 850 vert, and Timberline 1000, although with this kind of snow, what matters most for skin/ski laps will be the longest continuous stretch with enough pitch to move. Trail maps make it look like Timberline might have a bit of an edge for that, although always hard to tell on a trail map.
    Any other pros/cons to know?

they were most certainly okay with it while they were open^^^^^^^^would imagine they'd be okay with it now.

have fun!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Canaan has 850 vert, and Timberline 1000, although with this kind of snow, what matters most for skin/ski laps will be the longest continuous stretch with enough pitch to move. Trail maps make it look like Timberline might have a bit of an edge for that, although always hard to tell on a trail map.
    Any other pros/cons to know?
    timberline has much longer sustained and steeper pitches than canaan. i only skied canaan with a one ride pass to get me to pipeline on the backside, but from what i could see from the lift, only good with up to a foot o pow at most and short pitches.

timberline has smith walton pitches for a good 7-800 vert at a stretch and steeper. pretty good for deep pow laps.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    timberline has smith walton pitches for a good 7-800 vert at a stretch and steeper. pretty good for deep pow laps.
    Super, thanks -- the main pitch on Wachusett's Smith Walton, from the GS race start to the first road cut, and even down to the second road cut, would ski reasonable well in deep snow. (Below that, not so well!)
    I just hope that access to Timberline and/or White Grass quickly follows whenever 32 opens...

you'll be pleezed^^^^^^^

rog

I may try to head out there this weekend. This is one of those moments when I wish we were a two-car household so I could go Thursday.

Tline is better for vert but Canaan has what we call rotor. On a powder storm cycle Canaan Resort rakes it in, Tline gets it too but to a lesser degree. Plus CV Resort has killer discounts, Mon-Fri, that Tline would never consider.

We are hoping the roads will be open and power on by Thursday.

WG, Tline and CV Resort roads will all be open about the same time. Chip will be more on it than either resort. Sounds like he will be open for the weekend. The lift areas were still finishing late maintenance when this one hit.

BTW both lift areas are accessible from WG and visa versa. WG is in between the two.
    watch out for snakes

From the accuweather website... made me laugh:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Tline is better for vert but Canaan has what we call rotor. On a powder storm cycle Canaan Resort rakes it in, Tline gets it too but to a lesser degree. Plus CV Resort has killer discounts, Mon-Fri, that Tline would never consider.
    Thanks again for all the beta!
    Looking at the maps, the CV resort lodging is in a different location than the CV ski area, correct?

Also, just noticed this posted at the WG website (although highest elevation of the three ski areas is 4436'):

This is a preliminary assessment of the current snowstorm in the Canaan Valley WV area.Power and phone service is out in much of the WV high country and official snowfall observations are sketchy at best. Therefore, I have made some calls to folks up there to obtain their observations. I talked with Chip Chase, owner of the White Grass Cross Country Ski Center in Canaan Valley. Chip is a very astute weather observer. Based on his conversations and pictures and my knowledge of the local mountain climatology, my best estimate for snowfall for the last 24-hours ending 7 am Tuesday morning is as follows:

3,000 to 4,000 feet elevation: 26 to 30 inches snowfall; depth about 24 to 28 inches
    4,000 to 4,900 feet elevation: 30 to 34 inches snowfall; depth about 28 to 32 inches

If validated with official data, both WV state October all-time snowfall and snow depth records will be totally smashed and the storm in the high country is still not over. Another foot or so of new snow is possible in the next 2 days in favored higher elevation westward facing slopes above 3,000 feet due to wrap-around moisture combined with upslope orographic lift . Hopefully more data will start flowing in later today. I will provide updates when more information are available. Bob Leffler

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Thanks again for all the beta!
    Looking at the maps, the CV resort lodging is in a different location than the CV ski area, correct?

Also, just noticed this posted at the WG website (although highest elevation of the three ski areas is 4436'):
    The CV Resort/hotel is directly across the valley from the CV ski area, about a mile or so. Not far at all, however Rt 32 in this area can be a whiteout and drifted shut in spite of a State road garage being on the south end of the valley. All three ski spots are within sight of each other.

There are other touring possibilities at Blackwater Falls State park and if you could get to Dolly Sods you may think you are in AK. Spruce Knob will be off the scale and probably not accessible as they only plow so far up the mountain. If there are hunters in there that did not get out they will be in a world of hurt.

Mt Porte Crayon is one of the highest verticals in the state and is due south of Canaan Valley. Its an epic tour just to get to the gasline to ski down to Lanesville. It would be doable in this storm.

My buddy is going into the Sinks Wed as he still has cattle in there. Gonna get a sit rep from him then. Big Mama should be sweet!
    watch out for snakes

^ Sounds like many interesting possibilities there. I just went and reread the 1987 Steve Barnett book's description. But do you think any of those places will have earlier road access then from 32? Even more snow is on the way:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...44203825378418
    I'm starting to wonder if even Thursday is a possibility for the road to open?

This just in from MattChuck (from Albany area) and MadPat (from Ottawa, ON), who have a head start on the epic road trip to WV pow:

Text from Matt to Harvey44:

We're at Canaan Resort Hotel for the night. We paid $10 for the room.

We visited both Canaan and Timberline today.

Pitch at Timberline looks great.

Definitely hitting Timberline tomorrow.

About 18 to 20 inches at the base.

Really nice light snow.

Snowing really hard right now. Sweet stuff.

Photo of the drive:

"... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Photo of the drive:
    ...well that kind of changes things...maybe the drive wont be too bad? Would love to get down there, but concerned about making it in my (low ground-clearance) VW.

Anyone else thinking of making the trip?