Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: College Skiing

College Skiing

I'm looking at colleges, and having some trouble finding skiing information about them. Already considered academics, and these are my top 3 schools. If you guys could help me out that would be great....

Stanford University- Palo Alto, California
    Lake Tahoe looks about 4hrs away and Kirkwood is a bit closer. Is there any closer decent skiing? Is there also closer good backcountry?

Colorado College- Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Monarch looked the close mountain. Anything else that's nearby? Also are there any good backcountry zones?

Whitman College- Walla Walla, Washington
    Crystal's my home mountain, and it's amazing, but its 5.5hrs away. Whitepass and bluewood are closer, but wouldn't be as good. Any other ideas? How good is the backcountry?

Thanks for any info you can provide
    Last edited by skibum93; 12-18-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

what ya got there is a crappy choice of colleges if you're concerned with skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    what ya got there is a crappy choice of colleges if you're concerned with skiing.
    Kinda, but its academics 1st skiing next
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

None of those are skiing schools. I went to Colorado College for a year and a half and it is way to fucking far from lift served skiing and there's not great bc right nearby. Pike's Peak is interesting in the spring. Transferred to the U of Utah. Now that's a skiing school!

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Are you just looking at those specifics schools or are you looking at other places as well? guessing you want to stay on the west coast? There are plenty of schools all up and down the west coast that are decently close to skiing, but I'd pick a college based on more then its location to the nearest mountain.

I'm at Whitman. Despite the heavy academics, I was out skiing every weekend last winter and most the year before. Here's the skinny - Bluewood = around an hour away. Not really worth it on regular days, but the powder there has been known to be absurd. I literally had my deepest day ever last year before finals. Hiked it before it was open, and it was over the collar deep, just nuts. Better snow than western WA as well. The backcountry around is this: Blues - not very steep, avy usually low, fun if you don't have a lot of time. Wallowas = fucking amazing. Sick terrain, nice snow. You'd better be on your shit for avy though. Elkhorn - also amazing, 2.5 hrs away. Anthony Lakes is a really fun little resort, really skier friendly and just awesome overall. The backcountry is super fun as well, there are a bunch of these little steep couloirs that are a blast. So I could write more but thats the lowdown pretty much. Skiing can be sick at Whitman if you make it a priority and the snow cooperates. Also, just discovered last year - Red Mtn, 5 hrs away, sick for 3 day weekends.

UVM, Montana, UofU?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Are you just looking at those specifics schools or are you looking at other places as well? guessing you want to stay on the west coast? There are plenty of schools all up and down the west coast that are decently close to skiing, but I'd pick a college based on more then its location to the nearest mountain.
    Those are my top 3 schools. And yes I do care more about academics than skiing, and now I just want to know the quality of nearby skiing since I've checked other pertinent information out.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    Stanford University- Palo Alto, California
    Lake Tahoe looks about 4hrs away and Kirkwood is a bit closer. Is there any closer descent skiing? Is there also closer good backcountry?
    Dunno about the others, but this is a smart person expensive school that is nowhere near skiing.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

what are you planning on majoring in? University of Denver, University of Colorado at Boulder...... both bigtime skiing schools.

Quote Originally Posted by allornuthin View Post
    what are you planning on majoring in? University of Denver, University of Colorado at Boulder...... both bigtime skiing schools.
    Applied math, math, engineering, psychology... not really sure

Right now I'm possibly considering Boulder or Denver as backups

Fuck the haters, if you get accepted into Stanford you'd be retarded for not going there. If you are smart enough to get accepted there you should already know that. Hope you're wickaaddd smaaart and have a safety thrown in there.

if you're doing engineering, MSU is an obvious choice

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Fuck the haters, if you get accepted into Stanford you'd be retarded for not going there. If you are smart enough to get accepted there you should already know that. Hope you're wickaaddd smaaart and have a safety thrown in there.
    I know. Stanford would be awesome. If I can get in.
    This thread is just helping me find out what some of my winter weekend options are.

Or for engineering, think Colorado School of Mines. Very well respected engineering school and just under an hour to Summit County (a la Keystone, A-Basin, Breck, Copper) and another 20 min to Vail. Smaller school (about the size of CC) but in a much more attractive place to live- Golden, which is about 10/12 min west of downtown denver.

Stanford only answer-Then you can buy a cabin at the base of any lift you want to ski. You might even get Powdork to show you around the Wood.

Bear 4 hours
    KW 4.5 hours
    KT-22 5 hours with the pass

Beside there is no Rossetti's in Colorado.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alpine-inn-portola-valley

Is there any closer descent skiing? Is there also closer good backcountry?
    I generally prefer descent skiing to ascent or even stationary skiing. Is there also closer good backcountry? Is that a sentence? Stanford? Really?
    Stay left.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    Kinda, but its academics 1st skiing next
    Straight up dude, your priorities are fucked up. 'Scuse my JONGness and all...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

thought about dartmouth or middlebury at all? while most of the people here say that the skiing sucks when compared to out west, i'd just say that it's a different breed. it's only not fun if you don't allow it to be fun.

plus i'd say the fis crew has shown that you can find some really good stuff around northern vermont if you're willing to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanbob View Post
    if you're doing engineering, MSU is an obvious choice
    TROOF.

But don't come here. It sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

QFT. Get the best education you can then you'll have options.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

It depends on your priorities I suppose. How much skiing are you expecting? My freshman year at UC San Diego, I had ~35 ski days (7 hrs from Mammoth). You could easily get 30-40 days a season going to any school in the bay area if you tried. But if you grew up in a mountain town and can't fathom less than 75 days in a season, you options are much more limited.

Ski Wasted State and earn a degree in your spare time. Only took me 13 years.

This is relevant to my interests.
    UW(don't think I really have a choice, no better schools for skiing where I am applying) any good for skiing?
    Obviously the question is retarded, the proper question is, how hard is to jew a ride @UW on weekends.

To what a ride you ass hole? Go take your anti-semetic shit somewhere else!!