Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: College Skiing

And F*ck your interests.

Spending 4 years to go to college away from skiing, only to use that degree that will probably get you even further from skiing doesn't seem too smart, even though all the turds will respect you more. Maybe spend your next 4 years finding a way to spend your life skiing..........

Go to stanford if you get in. I went to CC. It is a great school and a good balance of academics and recreation. I loved my time there. It is a good place to go if you really like to ski, but put academics first. I am also from the northwest and like the skiing much more at Crystal than anywhere I skied in Colorado, but it was good to see a new place and you'll meet a ton of people with your same interests. Colorado Springs is also nice in that there are an unlimited number of trails right from campus so if you are into trail running or road or mountain biking it is a pretty cool town to live. The climate is pretty mellow, so even during the winter you can get out and recreate. Another bonus is that it is a small school and a close community. There are many grads in the outdoor industry, so if you plan on going that route there are connections to be made.

if you want to ski, go the the JC in South Tahoe. I am thinking about doing that...maybe

Like they say if you get in to Stanford University and can pay to attend, I would go. You can still get 30+ days doing weekends.

There is always a way, good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Spending 4 years to go to college away from skiing, only to use that degree that will probably get you even further from skiing doesn't seem too smart, even though all the turds will respect you more. Maybe spend your next 4 years finding a way to spend your life skiing..........
    thats what I am working on
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Why settle? Let me say that the academics at Western are superb, some would say belongs to the Ivy League of the west . . .

And with Crested Butte Mountain Resort (and Spa!) just a hop, skip, and jump away . . . well what can I say? Simply wonderful grooming with a marvelous backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Why settle? Let me say that the academics at Western are superb, some would say belongs to the Ivy League of the west . . .
    I'm graduating in 4 days and have been being recruited aggressively by both the NSA and NASA.

is going to stanford, harvard, yale, etc for undergrad really worth the cost? Are you really likely to land a job making much more then you could attending a state school, that would cover the added costs of going to such a high priced school?

If youre going to be some place for 4 years, you may as well enjoy where you live.

if you're smart enough to get in to stanford you could get a scholarship to a lower-tier (but still good) school closer to snow. take it from someone who didn't make that choice... you'll do yourself more good by saving the money and you can get where you want to go in life without the overrated stanford degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
    is going to stanford, harvard, yale, etc for undergrad really worth the cost? Are you really likely to land a job making much more then you could attending a state school, that would cover the added costs of going to such a high priced school?
    This implies that the entire purpose of an undergraduate education is to maximize your future earning potential. Not everyone would agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Spending 4 years to go to college away from skiing, only to use that degree that will probably get you even further from skiing doesn't seem too smart. Spend your next 4 years finding a way to spend your life skiing..........
    wise words of wisdom i hope to live my life by

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleventy View Post
    I generally prefer descent skiing to ascent or even stationary skiing. Is there also closer good backcountry? Is that a sentence? Stanford? Really?
    Sorry for the incorrect spelling and grammar. Here is the correct version of the sentence.

Is there good backcountry skiing that's closer to Stanford than Kirkwood?
    And in the previous sentence "descent" should have been "decent".

I'm a math and science person, and I now sincerely apologize for my transgressions against the english language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

math and science person: colorado school of mines

I doubt you'll want anything in WA, I think WWU is the best ski school, but its all about the liberal arts. However, UW has Stevens Pass and Gonzaga has Mt Spokane, 49 degrees, Silver Mt and Schweitzer all within 2 hours I think. None of them are exactly hardcore mts afaik (but im a newb), but it would give you some diversity and close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    math and science person: colorado school of mines
    Considering that as well. I just want to keep my major options more open, just in case I suddenly want to major in something like Psychology, Sociology or Political Science. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but if a situation like that arose, I'd like the chance to pursue that instead. If that makes sense.
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    I doubt you'll want anything in WA, I think WWU is the best ski school, but its all about the liberal arts. However, UW has Stevens Pass and Gonzaga has Mt Spokane, 49 degrees, Silver Mt and Schweitzer all within 2 hours I think. None of them are exactly hardcore mts afaik (but im a newb), but it would give you some diversity and close range.
    I live in Washington. Crystal Mountain is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    I live in Washington. Crystal Mountain is incredible.
    would you be able to go there at any of the schools?

i like that you don't include Montana in your list of schools to come too. no need to come here. the engineering sucks, snow sucks, town sucks, location sucks. STAY AWAY!

Got to go Whistler dude. Vancouver is calling.

UBC (The University of British Columbia) is a big school in Vancouver, BC. It's top 30 in the world and within 1.5 hours of Whistler (top 3 best resorts and back country in North America)..

I'm a student here, from the States as well as another ski buddy of mine. We both chose this school for skiing. We're fourth years and love it.

Check it out at www.ubc.ca. International students ay roughly $10,000 - $15,000 a year and have a much easier time getting in than Canadians.

Shoot me a line if you have questions.

You should look at UC Davis (Davis, Ca). It isn't as good of a school as Stanford, but it is better than the other two schools. It is ranked pretty high in the University of California system and in the nation. Plus, it is only 1.5 hours from Tahoe and best of all sports one of the biggest Ski/Snowboard clubs in the nation and is a major part of the school. Plus they have cabins up in Tahoe and only charge $10 / night to stay in one.

Think about it.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

If you get in to Stanford, go there. End of story.

A degree from a school like that will open any sort of door you'd like to walk through. The tuition cost will be worth it.

You can always ski bum for a while after you're done, and you have summers to go to places south of the equator.

Stanford University- Palo Alto, California
    Lake Tahoe looks about 4hrs away and Kirkwood is a bit closer. Is there any closer descent skiing? Is there also closer good backcountry?
    I went to Santa Clara just down the road from there, and I can tell you skiing is FAR from Silicon Valley/ Penninsula area. Unless you are driving at very unusual times (ie not Bay Area commuting times, not Friday evening, not Sunday evening) the traffic to and from Tahoe fucking sucks. It's 4-9 hours, and that's not an exaggeration. Have you ever experienced bumper to bumper traffic for 220 miles? Get ready, it's a whole new experience. Add in school, which it sounds like you are serious about, and skiing becomes pretty tough. Sierra skiing is awesome and I miss it, but it's just too far unless you have a ton of time, patience, and gas money. That said, it's better than being somewhere with no mountains. The problem is it's close enough and good enough to always tempt you, but far enough that getting there repeatedly really wears on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyplane View Post
    You should look at UC Davis (Davis, Ca)...Plus, it is only 1.5 hours from Tahoe
    Maybe if you drive 100mph in the summer. Or you ride at Boreal... My house in Sac is an hour 45 to Kirkwood or Alpine, if I'm bookin' it.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Carboxylic View Post
    I'm at Whitman. Despite the heavy academics, I was out skiing every weekend last winter and most the year before. Here's the skinny - Bluewood = around an hour away. Not really worth it on regular days, but the powder there has been known to be absurd. I literally had my deepest day ever last year before finals. Hiked it before it was open, and it was over the collar deep, just nuts. Better snow than western WA as well. The backcountry around is this: Blues - not very steep, avy usually low, fun if you don't have a lot of time. Wallowas = fucking amazing. Sick terrain, nice snow. You'd better be on your shit for avy though. Elkhorn - also amazing, 2.5 hrs away. Anthony Lakes is a really fun little resort, really skier friendly and just awesome overall. The backcountry is super fun as well, there are a bunch of these little steep couloirs that are a blast. So I could write more but thats the lowdown pretty much. Skiing can be sick at Whitman if you make it a priority and the snow cooperates. Also, just discovered last year - Red Mtn, 5 hrs away, sick for 3 day weekends.
    I graduated from Whitman a couple years ago and Carboxylic is dead on in terms of skiing from Whitman. One other place we ended up going every once in a while was Meadows, which is about 3.5 hrs away. Although the snow was pretty good (I got lucky, by the way, and was there during a couple huge years) by the end of my 4 years I was ready to go back to a bigger mountain. Whitman was a super fun school and had great academics, just not the best skiing.

If you want to go the liberal arts route, other schools you might consider are Lewis and Clark, Reed, and Gonzaga which are closer to decent skiing than the other schools on your list and have good academics.

Don't rule out University of Utah....it is a really good school, especially science and engineering. Also easy to get in state tuition and spend way less money than elsewhere. Sure Stanford is a great school, but spending that kind of coin on an undergrad degree isn't the best move. Go to the top tier schools for a grad degree. Where you get your undergrad really doesn't matter in the long run of your career.

I went to Utah and wouldn't change a thing, many of my family members have gone to Utah and also done very well in their careers. The cost benefit of that school makes it one of the best in the country. It really is so much more affordable there than other places. Plus the skiing there is the best.