Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Scheduling the SLAP tear surgery for 1st week of June...wish me luck.

Glad to hear everyone is progressing. Thinking of doing a wed surgery and going back to work in a limited fashion on the following Monday. Doc says he's seen many do it before so...ill hope for best.

Good luck to all on their continued recovery.

Best wishes for a successful surgery Skidog!

My physical therapist told me about a Passive motion machine today. He said that one of his partners patient's had surgery on Feb. 9th and within a day or two was put on a passive motion machine that his insurance paid for to have at the house. He was absolutely amazed and how well this guy was doing. He said he was kinda worried, because this machine might replace him! . He said he's seen these machines for the knee, but never for the shoulder. I asked him to get the surgeons name for me because I wanted to see if the guy has any info. about it on his website. Have any of you guys ever heard of this machine before? Sounds like a great idea.

Yeah, I had the CPM machine for my shoulder for both surgeries. It really does provide amazing advancement in ROM immediately after surgery. I used it for 2 hours at a time twice a day for the first ten days post surgery and don't know what I would have done without it. My insurance paid.

My shoulder now feels really good ten weeks out. I wish I could ski but the bicep tenodesis means no risk of falling on the thing until after 6 months.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

tele did you have the tendonitis before the surgery or was that just something they found and fixed while fixing you up?

ok day 3 of no sling. holy shit i feel like i am week 2-3 post surgery in terms of pain again. my whole upper arm has been screaming at me. did anyone else who is further along experience this? i am sure it is just the small muscles that were not being with immobilization being itght and sore for use but ugh. it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    tele did you have the tendonitis before the surgery or was that just something they found and fixed while fixing you up?
    Tenodesis -- it consists of cutting off the bicep tendon and then screwing the end back into the humerus. Doc had to cut the bicep tendon in order to fix the SLAP tear, which in both shoulders the labrum tear was flipped over and pinned under the tendon. I had the choice to let the tendon go and have the bicep turn into a lump down at the distal end of my humerus but decided to have it fixed right in both cases. MRI revealed the same damage in both cases last year for the left and this year for the right. If I could have gotten away without having it done, I would be skiing already. But looked around for pictures of the deformity and decided I didn't want to end up looking like that so I elected to have it done -- in advance of the procedure because we already knew the situation.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

3 days post-op from my Larajet. Still on a lot of pain meds, but its gettin better. I am shooting to be back at work on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    Tenodesis -- it consists of cutting off the bicep tendon and then screwing the end back into the humerus. Doc had to cut the bicep tendon in order to fix the SLAP tear, which in both shoulders the labrum tear was flipped over and pinned under the tendon. I had the choice to let the tendon go and have the bicep turn into a lump down at the distal end of my humerus but decided to have it fixed right in both cases. MRI revealed the same damage in both cases last year for the left and this year for the right. If I could have gotten away without having it done, I would be skiing already. But looked around for pictures of the deformity and decided I didn't want to end up looking like that so I elected to have it done -- in advance of the procedure because we already knew the situation.
    yea. i looked it up and saw that they do it for tendonititis which is why i asked about that. Didn't thin to read the whole thing and realized after you posted that they do that for shoulder repair where the bicep tendon was messed up.

Kid. it gets better. don't know if you have exercises to do but keep at them. it helps a lot with the pain

RitalinKid,

It gets better each day! See if you can get your insurance to pay for a CPM machine. My physical therapist was amazed at how much rom a patient had after 1 month post op. If I had known about it, I would have asked for one. I'm 5 weeks out and just starting to break it loose. Good luck on the recovery!

Surgery scheduled for June 8.

Good Luck SkiDog!

So final update. approximately 5 months post surgery and am cleared for pretty much everything. Allowed to kayak again, but I have to ease back in until i hit 6 months before i can go for it again. Don't want to rip everything out again.

Doc was confused which shoulder was the one he did since my operated arm has better ROM and strength than my other one. will eventually need that one looked at but for now i will leave it alone.

Glad to hear that your recovery continues to be going well for you! I had my 4 month re-check on Friday. He's really happy with how I'm doing still, but still won't let me water ski! Guess I'll continue being the spotter for the rest of the summer!

Keep up the good work crackboy! You're keeping me motivated!