Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Loveland Pass Avy

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200...ntProfile=1062

Anyone have any additional info? Be safe out there all, it is tender everywhere.

BREAKING NEWS: Boarder 'swims' out of avalanche on Loveland Pass

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...ntProfile=1055

BREAKING NEWS: Boarder 'swims' out of avalanche on Loveland Pass

Denver man buried up to waist but OK after incident

A Denver snowboarder caught in an avalanche on Loveland Pass Tuesday was able to "swim" out of it, landing in snow up to his waist but otherwise OK

There are idiots on Idiots Cornice. Shocking...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

no shovel or beacon...."lets ride that...it looks epic BRAH!"
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    no shovel or beacon...."lets ride that...it looks epic BRAH!"
    You're just pissed because he stole your swim move.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbhighCo View Post
    http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200...ntProfile=1062

Anyone have any additional info? Be safe out there all, it is tender everywhere.
    Yeah, The additional info is they are freaking stupid and lucky to be alive.

If the boarder was say, 1' under and the girlfriend skid down, it would not be a rescue but a recovery.

This would be a great time of year for the Vail Daily to run a Avi safety story, with strong wording like in this:

http://www.mtavalanche.com/sidecountry

I like how Gallatin Avi folks don't mince words, they tire of digging up victims. The warning to parents is especially good.

Yeah...they both had packs but evidently no gear. When the boarder took the ride his girlfriend could not even see him past the rollover. She decided to ski down after a couple of minutes on the side of the path and fortunately found him half buried and undigging. Looked like there were a lot of rocks in the path, but he was evidently uninjured except for a sore arm. I did not see the slide but saw the aftermath a few minutes later, not to mention a plethora of sheriffs and ski patrol, and the flight for life helicopter. Fortunately the couple let everyone know what happened, but the girlfriend still seemed really shaken.

I did my good deed for the day, got Summit daily to post the Gallatin safety link at the bottom of the article. Probably get a lot of clicks. Maybe save someone's ass too.
    Nice quick work on the part of Alex Miller, newspaper staff guy.

So a couple of my buddies were up there when it happened. Apparently they did not even know where to check for the avy report....
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

I got up there today about 11:30 and on my first lap I noticed there were no tracks on Idiots. I thought to myself the first person to drop in on that is gonna have a real nice run or get a real nasty surprise. On the very next lap I saw this.

You can see the involved party in the debris on the lower lookers right.

Another view. (notice the intact chunk on the left that slid 100' or so.)

The lucky couple talking to "the man".

Damn. Just. Goddamn.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Wow...coming over the pass yesterday every slope above the road looked like it had slabbed off. Sure enough though, same crowd of idiots hitchiking with no packs. What a lucky idiot

AVALANCHE.STATE.CO.US

Loveland pass is notorious for fools skiing/riding without gear. Not a smart move.

I don't know the area but is that not the same place that slid in a post from late oct/nov someone posted? You all call it idiots for a reason!

interesting - looks like ski tracks intact post-slide on the lookers left side.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

This guy was interviewed on the news last night I think it was FOX....news said he was an experienced backcountry rider with a avalanche safety plan. Then they mentioned he had no gear but it was on his Christmas wish list.

With all the info and free education around here, it is really amazing this stuff still happens every year and the news reporting doesn't help. They made it seem like this guy knew what he was doing, when that clearly was not the case.

I almost think the guy thought he knew what he was doing, especially from the nonchalant way he was talking to the cops...like "well then I realized the slide was happening, but I just started swimming out of it and everything was cool", then the priceless statements about gear on the christmas list and having an avy class scheduled. Scary...

Sounds like the news is not helping at all either.

thanks for sharing those pics, D. whhhoooa.

Someone should post a copy of that picture on the Loveland Pass sign at the top of the pass near the parking lots.... so many people who ski/ride up there don't even realize that can happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
    interesting - looks like ski tracks intact post-slide on the lookers left side.
    Probably the girlfriends tracks.

Some guy last year told me the pass was safe to ride since they do avy control. He said he was from Dillon I believe but seemed like an awful idea. Those people are real lucky.

No- she came down skiers left/lookers right outside the slide path. There is some old tracks that show up under what slid on lookers left. Some compacted snow in the pack from earlier in the season that stayed put.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpentele View Post
    Sounds like the news is not helping at all either.
    The CAIC does try and get the media to try and help get out a safety message. But, a lot of times the media has their agenda (i.e., make the story more spectacular...).
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by the Mad View Post
    Was with a coworker buddy and his visiting friend in Utah last year. They're both snowboarders and we get to the top of a gully. I say F that and a few lines about terrain trap etc. Buddy says "Snowboarders ride in gullies" and drops in. Within seconds he's yelling it sucks all hardpack avi debris. Not too relevant but for bagging on snowboarders. You can't fix stupid.
    Congrats, you cunted up a perfectly good education thread. You even pulled out the snowboarders = stupid cliche. Great job douche.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer