Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible WTB: 29er or AMish hardtail

Convince me that 29ers are teh gheysuck. I have a 6" FS bike and a DH bike. Looking for something for XC riding out my backdoor. Boise is a lot of ups and downs and it's really built for the spando crowd-not that technical, smooth, small ring climbs and big ring decents.

I know that leads to a 29er which I'm considering. If I went that way, I want XT or X9 level bits, mediumish or 19ish frame. Hardtail with front suspension would be cool

Or, I build something like a Trans Am because I think XC around here is closer to road riding than anything and I have to rebel.

Give me opinions and options to buy. I'm trying to keep the cost a little lower than normal...it would be one of many bikes hanging in the shed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Ragley Blue Pig

just bought one brand new, shipped from Chain reaction, for 350$

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    AMish hardtail
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Convince me that 29ers are teh gheysuck.

I think XC around here is closer to road riding than anything and I have to rebel.

http://www.vandesselsports.com/crb.html#

Not sure about teh gheysuck level on this one.

Saw the title and went looking . . . . El Chup beat me to it, but I'm putting it up anyway.

Nothing more to add.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

A hardtail 29er would fun given your current quiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

29er...

i would also check Out Van Dessel. Cool guys. I live less than a mile from the shop and loved this one...

http://www.vandesselsports.com/jerseydevil.html

onehotchili had a 29'r hardtail Bianchi for sale in gear swap recently -- solid deal too. He's in Truckee, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Are the trails rough enough to need mtb tires and front suspension or could you get by with a no suspension cross bike? My cross bike gets a lot of dirt miles.

Already rode a x-bike for a number of years around here. The trails are definitely smooth enough, I'm just not into it. In fact, my x-bike frame is my flat bar commuter now.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Fair enough, go for the HT 29er.

The Banshee Paradox is pretty nice.

Don't you have access to brand S through your racing affiliation? They make a pretty nice 29er HT bike.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Check out the Banshee Paradox thread over at MTBR. Looks like a pretty sweet bike to me.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Check out the new 29'er from Canfield Bros too.

But since it's mainly just buff singletrack this would be for (I think? right?) why not get something lighter and built for such purposes? Niner One9 single speed or Air9 geared. Or Sir9 for a steel whip.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Niner One9 single speed or Air9 geared. Or Sir9 for a steel whip.
    He said "whip". All sweet rigs.

People I know who have lived in and ridden around Boise say it's the perfect place to avoid a FS bike because riding a FS bike on Boise's trails just makes you carry around suspension you don't need. Now, lugging around inefficient weight can be a training strategy, so I don't want to say NO FS or anything like that, but based on what I have heard about Boise, I would suggest a singlespeed hardtail, geared fairly large because the hills reportedly aren't quite so brutal or long-lasting there, as compared to a more mountainous town.

I've got a Sinister Simon Bar 29er, which I'm really enjoying. Similar numbers to the Banshee, but has paragon sliders and slightly different top tube dimensions so I picked it instead of the Banshee.

It is incredibly well balanced, usually it will take me a while to get diailed into the bike, but this was one of the first I've ridden that within the first ride you could feel how centered you were on the bike. A lot more playful than other xc derived 29ers I've ridden, almost from the get go this felt like a really big dirt jump bike. For an all purpose bike that I will do some endurance races on, but mostly just long rides locally and trips to Tsali/Pisgah, it's a great match. It does suffer a bit on really tight switchbacks or sections when you have to slow to a near stop and change course, but some of that might be from running the fork at 120. I am going to drop it to 100 to make it more XC friendly.

I think I'm set on a 26" hardtail. Lots of good info and options here. Still intrigued by the 29er and might pick one up next year...still haven't figured at how to explain it to my dad though.

all you need to do is call me and ask about a trans am.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I think I'm set on a 26" hardtail. Lots of good info and options here. Still intrigued by the 29er and might pick one up next year...still haven't figured at how to explain it to my dad though.
    A 29er will go faster. Have you demoed one?

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    A 29er will go faster. Have you demoed one?
    will he need to demo knickers in order to get the full speed increase?

hey, you going to the Hanuka party tonight?
    if so, we should definitely talk about that bike thing

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    will he need to demo knickers in order to get the full speed increase?

hey, you going to the Hanuka party tonight?
    if so, we should definitely talk about that bike thing
    Yes. I have some Swrve softshell knickers and some Chrome Loops that will def. make anyone faster.

And yes, see you at Casa de Rontal.

I'll add that geometry aside, a 26 inch hardtail seems pretty gary to me.

Kind of like a FS 29er.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Wow, nice digs your buddy has there!

Looks like an amazing trip.