Thread: NEED HELP WITH THESIS RESEARCH!

NEED HELP WITH THESIS RESEARCH!

My name is Jessica Horton and I am currently a Masters student at the University of Tennessee in the field of Sport Psychology. Through my program, I am focusing mainly on the injury rehabilitation side of Sport Psychology and helping athletes to come back from injury not only physically, but mentally too. I am beginning to work on my thesis which is focusing on the relationship between anxiety and fear of injury among risk taking sports, specifically snowboarders and skiiers.

The reason I am writing you is because I need some help with my thesis data collection. As you probably know, there are not an abundance of snowboarders and skiiers in East Tennessee! As I'd like to make this study as publishable as possible and have strong implications for snowboarders, I want to get the best athletes possible. My thesis just requires my participants to take a short survey that won't take much time at all. If there is any way you can help me get in touch with some snowboarders and skiiers, or even steer me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I look forward to hearing from you!

A better topic might be the anxiety from NOT being out there skiing and snowboarding and how it leads to irritability, anger and ill will towards others.

Data incoming.

Hey - I would be happy to help, and take a survey. One thought - it wold be cool if you had a link to the survey up in your original post, so I (and others) could take it online.

Cheers

You can still edit your original post to add a link to the survey. You will get a much bigger response.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

NEKKID PICTURES, JONG.

Holy shit are you guys slipping.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Dear Jessica,

To futher enhance your ability to collect meaningful data, I would suggest that you not only make the link available, or provide some other contact information, if your desire is to pre-screen your respondents, but also to avoid writing in the "ALLCAP" title format. I understand that to you, your thread is the most important thread, but to the rest of us, it is not the most important thread. You can file that under "Internet Psychology".

I'm also quite sure that your paper will be much more publishable if you learn how to spell "skiers".

Yours truly,

A skiier.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Naked pictures, then we help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Sure. Send link in private message or email. I'll help. Recovering from linsfranc fracture and trauma injury to right foot. It's been long road and free shrink advice in exchange. JK. Glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessimoe30 View Post
    I am focusing mainly on the injury rehabilitation side of Sport Psychology and helping athletes to come back from injury not only physically, but mentally too. I am beginning to work on my thesis which is focusing on the relationship between anxiety and fear of injury among risk taking sports, specifically snowboarders and skiiers.
    Jessica, do you already have questions that you're fixin' to address or is the point of the survey to help develop a hypothesis?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

How does your school ethics board feel about recruiting on a message board over the internet? I'd suggest checking it in case you might get in trouble for this kind of recruitment...also, i'd suggest checking out some of the work done at the university of calgary sociology department and try to get nancy sharara's masters thesis, which was on risk in snowboarding--could be a good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by cw View Post
    try to get nancy sharara's masters thesis, which was on risk in snowboarding--could be a good resource.
    That thesis was garbage. Worst "risk in snowboarding" thesis I have ever read. There were too many "ayes" in it, it had no backbone, an unfortunate amount of French verbage and it had the maloder of year-old maple syrup.

Does that thesis on risk include the common occurrence to snowboarders of being butt raped by Boy George?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    does your football coach suck lots of cock?
    No...he left USC.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

"Pubic hair is hair in the frontal genital area, the crotch, and sometimes at the top of the inside of the legs; these areas form the pubic region.

Although fine vellus hair is present in the area in childhood, the term pubic hair is generally restricted to the heavier, longer and coarser hair that develops with puberty as an effect of rising levels of androgens. Pubic hair is therefore part of the androgenic hair.

The development of pubic hair can be assessed using the Tanner scale. Before the onset of puberty, the genital area of both boys and girls has very fine vellus hair, referred to as Tanner stage 1 hair.[1] As puberty begins, the body produces rising levels of the sex hormones known as androgens, and in response the skin of the genital area begins to produce thicker and rougher, often curlier, hair with a faster growth rate.[2] The onset of pubic hair development is termed pubarche. The change for each hair follicle is relatively abrupt, but the extent of skin which grows androgenic hair gradually increases over several years.

In males, the first pubic hair appears as a few sparse hairs on the scrotum or at the upper base of the penis (stage 2). Within a year, hairs around the base of the penis are numerous (stage 3). Within 3 to 4 years, hair fills the pubic area (stage 4) and becomes much thicker and darker, and by 5 years extends to the near thighs and upwards on the abdomen toward the umbilicus (stage 5).[3]

Other areas of the skin are similarly, though slightly less, sensitive to androgens and androgenic hair typically appears somewhat later. In rough sequence of sensitivity to androgens and appearance of androgenic hair, are the armpits (axillae), perianal area, upper lip, preauricular areas (sideburns), periareolar areas (nipples), middle of the chest, neck under the chin, remainder of chest and beard area, limbs and shoulders, back, and buttocks.

Although generally considered part of the process of puberty, pubarche is distinct and independent of the process of maturation of the gonads that leads to sexual maturation and fertility. Pubic hair can develop from adrenal androgens alone, and can develop even when the ovaries or testes are defective and nonfunctional. See puberty for details.

There is little if any difference in the capacity of male and female bodies to grow hair in response to androgens. The obvious sex-dimorphic difference in hair distribution in men and women is primarily a result of differences in the levels of androgen reached as maturity occurs.

Pubic hair and axillary (armpit) hair can vary in color considerably from the hair of the scalp. In most people it is darker, although it can also be lighter. In most cases it is most similar in color to the eyebrows of the individual.[4] On some individuals, pubic hair is thick and/or coarse; on others it may be sparse and/or fine; these varieties may appear in either gender. Hair texture varies from tightly curled to entirely straight. Pubic hair patterns can also vary by race and ethnicity.

Patterns of pubic hair, known as the escutcheon, vary between the genders. On most women, the pubic patch is triangular and lies over the mons veneris, or mound of Venus. On many men, the pubic patch tapers upwards to a line of hair pointing towards the navel (see abdominal hair), roughly a more upward-pointing triangle.[4] As with axillary (armpit) hair, pubic hair is associated with a concentration of sebaceous glands in the area."

Raise yur hand if you know TJ Burpe is a fucking tool!

I have had two shoulder surgeries due to different sports I participate in. I will be more than happy to help out. Good luck

How can I help you?

Lawless, that is just beautiful! Nice shots. Not sure I wanna hear that story but can't help but ask. My favorite question to answer the last 18 weeks has been - did it hurt? Speaks for itself doesn't it.

By the way . . . where did Jessica go?

Do you hear a who?
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Lawless, that is just beautiful! Nice shots. Not sure I wanna hear that story but can't help but ask. My favorite question to answer the last 18 weeks has been - did it hurt? Speaks for itself doesn't it.
    The lower part I did last year by hitting a tree skiing. The upper part I did this summer while on a skateboard. Had some good speed, caught my toe on something and it twisted and pulled my leg at the same time. Still trying to recover from that one.

46 screws and 4 plates have been put in it in the last year and a half. They should name a wing after me at the local hospital.

Wholly fuck! I thought my nightmare was bad - after that story it doesn't come close. Take it slow and steady. Good luck.

I am assuming that this thread is moot since Jessica appears to have been scared off....My favorite is my crash in a competition where my collarbone popped through the skin, I fainted 3 times just looking at it. screwed me up mentally for a few years, associated the injury and pain to the specific manuever...

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

You have come to the right place, there are plenty of people here with mental issues, some even stemming from injuries, but more likely from substance use, but not abuse.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Bye Jessica.