Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The IQ system is not complex, and from Jondrums's take, nor is it ideal. A 3" wide C-channel and mating slider could be fabricated to mount any binding on any flat ski. Goddamn it, I have a machinist friend and I am going to have a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyman View Post
    The IQ system is not complex, and from Jondrums's take, nor is it ideal. A 3" wide C-channel and mating slider could be fabricated to mount any binding on any flat ski. Goddamn it, I have a machinist friend and I am going to have a chat.
    Are you thinking something similar to NTN toe piece plate (on the left)?

140.5-117-129.5 seems perfect..

I am not an engineer or good at drawing things on the computer but something like the picture below. Materials used and how the binding plate would affix to the c-channel I don't know. Maybe two J-channels would be lighter but would probably require more screws in the ski.
    Attachment 75547

^^^ I've been working on something like this.

the main problem I'm having is that the total package is going to be fairly tall - probably about 14mm added to the stack height. I can't see any way around this at the moment, and I fear its too much added stack.

Have you made a working proto?

The problem will be in making the system come in at a reasonable weight and retain adequate amounts of strength and durability. See the ess/Atomic binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Another issue is in the stiffening effect of any plate attached to the ski.

A channel like Gordyman posted would work, but it would be fairly thick (~1cm) to accommodate a standard binding screw. If made from aluminum, something that thick could really stiffen the binding plate area of the ski, like a racing deflex plate. That might not be desireable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I concur. The mounting plate should not be aluminum, instead a more flexible material, something like the plates on the Volant Fat Bastard. The heel and toe should be separate, mitigating stiffness.

Shit, the ideas that keep popping up in my mind remind me of srsosbso's brilliant work:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114315"]DIY Alpine Touring binding. - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

If the system were set up so that it weighed about 200grams extra per ski, and didn't stiffen the ski any more than a normal pair of bindings, would the 14mm of extra stack height scare you off?

14mm stack height seems small sacrifice for what is gained. But I've never toured and I suck at skiing so you should find out for yourself.

I think a Tyrolia RailFlex system has potential. The base plates are available cheap. I guess there are two incarnations, RailFlex I and RailFlex II.

I am new to this thread but find it very intersting. Seems it has gone quiet for a while. Anybody made progress on this?

I have a pair of Answers with both alpine and tele (BD 01s). They rip either way but are way to heavy for touring. I'm going to mount NTN on them later today.

All the blizzard skis I have seen are to heavy for touring. Are there some that are OK??

As for the adapter to a flat ski I think using the already available blizzard plate makes a lot of sense. It is certainly lighter than an equivalent thickness of aluminum. As for the tracks, composite (carbon fiber) seems like the right way to go but this takes it out of the hands of the home builder/machinist. Anybody out there have the expertise/equipment for this?

I know this is a really old thread but am wondering if anyone who had these skis can help. I bought a pair of 2011 Blizzard Crushes with the IQ max slider plate, this is exactly the same as The One from that year. I thought the whole point of the max IQ system as opposed to the older models was that you could mount any binding on them? Bought a pair of Tyrolias from Ebay, the slider plate is 50mm and the screw holes for my bindings are 43mm apart, this obviously won't work given the drill bit is ~3mm, if everything is perfectly measured and drilled I will have 2mm between the edge of the hole and the edge of the slider. What bindings can I mount on these skis?

ok have just bought a pair of Marker Squires, they fit.