Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I don't think so. 90% of people ride chairs. This skinning/backcountry thing hasn't become that popular, yet, although this winter may change all that. But, in general, the typical Zoom mountain worker isn't necessarily a earn his or her turns skier. And with no chairs running and no bars, there really isn't much to do in the mountains in winter.
    About the most clueless post I've seen on TGR in a good while. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Lol. Bunch of tourers moving to a zoo town != everyone tours

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Lol. Bunch of tourers moving to a zoo town != everyone tours
    Yeah, gotta say, Benny's post was a bit exaggerated, but exaggerating for emphasis is SOP around here. I doubt even 10% of skiers tour.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Bubble land.

Teton Valley real estate prices do seem to be a bit bubbled right now, I'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, gotta say, Benny's post was a bit exaggerated, but exaggerating for emphasis is SOP around here. I doubt even 10% of skiers tour.
    I think it would depend greatly on what you term a “ski tourer”, but older(17-18) SIA numbers are like ~5% of skiers. I can easily believe it’s higher in a place like greater Jackson or Bozeman, but the estimate of skier runs at Teton pass for that same year was ~1/7th the JHMR skier days.

I think it would depend greatly on what you term a “ski tourer”, but older(17-18) SIA numbers are like ~5% of skiers. I can easily believe it’s higher in a place like greater Jackson or Bozeman, but the estimate of skier runs at Teton pass for that same year was ~1/7th the JHMR skier days.
    Absolutely, and I was intentionally a little vague, but if you look at overall skier days per year on a national level, an extremely small percentage of people ski in the backcountry, and an even smaller percentage actually hike for their turns instead of exiting a resort gate.

Thanks to COVID, last season was the first time I toured more days than I rode lifts. I love touring, but I definitely wouldn't be as strong a skier as I am if I was primarily or exclusively a backcountry bob.

For Teton Valley, that's definitely not the case. And that's apparently what this thread is about.

I'm with Pancho's Dad on this one. You only need to look at the immediate switch to touring gear as soon as COVID shut stuff down, one of the local shops sold out of touring bindings in like what? 36 hours? Those numbers on how many folks tour are not specific to this area, and don't take into account the ridiculous number of people who earned their first turns last March. Backcountry is going to be a zoo this year. (Not that it wasn't before, but man, so many people got forced into it last year that haven't had a chance to get educated, and might not...good year to be running avy classes HMS)

This would be a REALLY good year for the 'Ghee to figure out a legit uphill policy that's not just the TVT.

On the remote worker front, I think in the past they have been an easy whipping boy, but not the real problem. I am technically a remote worker for like 2/3 of my income (and I've also been 100% local construction, and 100% Jackson income), and I'm friends with a bunch of others that have been here for a while, and in general they're good folks who are invested in the community and are making money elsewhere that they then pump into the local economy, which is cool.

This year, with the proliferation of e-work, and a pandemic to hide from, I'm gonna guess it's gonna be a lot gnarlier to the point of problematic. But we shall see.

How many pairs of touring bindings did they have in stock in mid-March - 10? 100? 1,000?

Or, let's add, drive for turns. I'm looking at you, Loveland Pass skiers.

Googling says there are something between 9 and 12 million skiers in the US. Let’s round to 10 million, using the SWAG of 5%, that is...500k. There probably aren’t many more than 20 states with suitable bc country. And allowing for growth and there being an imbalance meaning a lot more in WY, CA, CO, UT, WA, and maybe ID, OR and NV...I think there’s a fair chance for the feared shitshow.

It was pretty f’n crowded at the local town hill after the COVID shutdown, and it’s likely to be more so this season. A lot of people were just carrying their downhill stuff up, too. I wonder if the demand for avy classes will go up...and gear besides the skis.

That's it, I'm moving to Goldburg.

More skier compaction.

My big money bet is on the Pass hitting critical mass next winter.

It's been escalating and I think this will be the final straw.

Between parking, cracking avies on skiers/ the roadway, and lots of n00bs in general; it's gonna be a shitshow for the ages.
    That place loads so fast, compaction will only help so much.

guys, all the real locals (Benny, dumbfree, glade) knows what's up in the Tetons, no need to discuss it more.

Even busted out the SIA stats for figuring out BC skiers in/around the tetons! Next up:

"According to my data set, there is a peak or subpeak for every daily BC skier in the Teton range, so I don't know what you guys mean it's crowded???"

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Googling says there are something between 9 and 12 million skiers in the US. Let’s round to 10 million, using the SWAG of 5%, that is...500k. There probably aren’t many more than 20 states with suitable bc country. And allowing for growth and there being an imbalance meaning a lot more in WY, CA, CO, UT, WA, and maybe ID, OR and NV...I think there’s a fair chance for the feared shitshow.
    Judging by the shitshow that is the 'backcountry touring the NE' facebook page, I'd wager at least 2% of the 5% is comprised of NYSE analysts and Boston crossfit gym owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or, let's add, drive for turns. I'm looking at you, Loveland Pass skiers.
    berthoud
    lovelands for 'abay' liftees
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

How many pairs of touring bindings did they have in stock in mid-March - 10? 100? 1,000?
    i hear the 333 ski is the preferred bc rig with Lishafit binders...(222 close second)
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    guys, all the real locals (Benny, dumbfree, glade) knows what's up in the Tetons, no need to discuss it more.

Even busted out the SIA stats for figuring out BC skiers in/around the tetons! Next up:

"According to my data set, there is a peak or subpeak for every daily BC skier in the Teton range, so I don't know what you guys mean it's crowded???"
    I was just thinking there sure are a lot of remote experts on the Teton Valley.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Judging by the shitshow that is the 'backcountry touring the NE' facebook page, I'd wager at least 2% of the 5% is comprised of NYSE analysts and Boston crossfit gym owners.
    its no joke, they came to MT from the Hat with citi m/a cred and their own copters and landed below high water mark...and that was jus to fish
    www.freeridesystems.com

I've specifically only spoken in general terms about the impacts of remote work on rural areas, but nice try.

I've specifically only spoken in general terms about remote work and BC skiing, but nice try.
    Meh. So last week a bunch of people asked you to leave this site, so why are you here still?

awww yeah muted forum regulator is here to spew who’s core! Gotta keep the messageboard safe for keyboard brobbrah feelings!

those numbers were from a jh magazine article.

now back to the usual bullshit “evryone tours because everyone’s fucking rad brah” followed by “the backcountry is such a zoo, everyone’s a newbie who needs to learn real avy skills” aka the same shit said every fucking year.

What about percentage of skiers adjusted by skier days (skill) that tour? I bet that would bring up the number to a good 25% or so, when the gapers are removed.