Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Driggs, Idaho Beta

Anyone have insight into living in Driggs, skiing at Targhee and the town flavor?

Crowded, flat, and shitty snow and smelly spuds everywhere, try Bozeman, its much more core

Where is Driggs?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

its almost as low key as victor ID
    Live

Are Driggs and Victor filled with skiers. LDS types? How far from GT in drive time?

Quote Originally Posted by CentoUno View Post
    Anyone have insight into living in Driggs, skiing at Targhee and the town flavor?
    Vanilla with caramel sauce.

Al Pastor with Salsa picante.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

More like white bread with salsa picante on top....

We big time!!! We got stoplight now! No more cattle drives through town....we not hicks no more. We gonna be Vail jr. someday....

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    More like white bread with salsa picante on top....

We big time!!! We got stoplight now! No more cattle drives through town....we not hicks no more. We gonna be Vail jr. someday....
    Shouldn't you be in school? Seriously, you and your pickle smoking homo lover Ride-IT who undoubtedly rides you are complete morons. An embarassment to Anthony Vail Sloan and his legacy and you douchebag, an embarrassment to your parents.

Man that was close...fer a minute I thought another one season wonder jong was gonna turn up late and start asking a bunch of stupid questions that he might have found answers to if he had used the search function. Good thing he didn't get all butthurt and have a tantrum when we jacked his thread to make jokes about ourselves. Can't wait to share barstools at the Trap with this one. Maybe this place is too ironic for your tastes...both the forum and valley too. Try Vail, you'll be happy there, they have malls and everybody is rich, cool and beautiful. Ski magazine sez its awesome. You'd have to be some sort of pickle smoking homo moron to fit in here. Someone who lists his occupation as "executive pimp" will be disappointed in the calibre of playas around here.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.

i know they don't appreciate you going 55 in a 35............think i paid $75 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post

We big time!!! We got stoplight now!
    And it's pretty fun to watch people hit the brakes and slide through that light (it's been a couple years since I hung out tere, but it was funny then . . .).

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    i know they don't appreciate you going 55 in a 35............think i paid $75 for that.
    That fucking county judge in Driggs is a hardass. I got a ticket in Driggs ON MY WEDDING DAY and that old coot still threw the book at me.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That fucking county judge in Driggs is a hardass. I got a ticket in Driggs ON MY WEDDING DAY and that old coot still threw the book at me.

Try dealing with Timothy Day in Jackson and get back to me...

there is no snow here, move along people

i lived in teton valley a couple years a while back -- i'm sure it's changed a bit since i left in 03...

i worked for a super cool logging/hippe dude for the 2 years or so when i was there, and i liked the town ok -- although it was a bit clicky, boring, and the police were total aholes -- they were the epidemy of the harrassing/pull you over and fuck with you for nothing - sterotype - kind of police.

i skiied a few times at targhee, but the pass the park and the canyons are the real gems of the area, although I'm a backcountry enthusiast, so that's my bias.
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Those deputies are gone. Three of them commited about as many felonies as the rest of the citizens combined. A fourth went wacko and was sent to nuthouse after drawing his gun on the other three at drunken poker game(with minors in attendance). The abuse of authority was only the tip of the iceberg: they stole, dealt drugs, banged underage girls, perpetrated various frauds, poached deer, shot folk's dogs, framed a lot of people, violated constitutional rights daily and generally treated the evidence locker like it was their own property. Their sherrif was an incompetent moron/local good ol' boy whose previous resume credits were getting kicked in the head by a horse and being fired from his job at the county dump for STEALING! He was scared of them and let them run rough shod over us for three years. Shit got so out of control that Internal Affairs and the state Attorney General had to sweep it under the rug cuz if they admitted how bad it was then damn near every case the county had for five years would have to be retried and the state could be sued by the folks who got hosed. Cliquey?.....sheeet, we locals were just keeping our heads below the fuckin radar....know what I mean?

We have real cops now and an honest, fair sherrif. We not hicks no more. In fact, there was a near total political revolution up here last year-progressives swept everything in the 08 election. Finally, a majority just got tired of all the corruption, incompetence and pig-headed conservatism and the Momo/radical property rights/pro-developer group got tossed out with Bush. Well...the A-hole judge(who convicted a number of bros framed up by the crooked deputies) is still here. See, stuff like this is why you have to have patience and a sense of humor to stick it out here. If you gonna have a tantrum at the drop of a hat.....not the place for you.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-12-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Oh I don't make it to the big city much.

Do you really need to ask? Both Driggs and Victor (represent) have the golden ratio:

[Alt/Pop = >1]

Super late thread bump. I've visited friends who live in Alta, WY twice in the past couple years and really enjoyed my time in Teton Valley.

Any mags still around? What's the word on things these days?

Covid has every remote worker and their brother moving here, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    What's the word on things these days?
    A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, bird, well-a bird is a word...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Covid has every remote worker and their brother moving here, so there's that.
    What's your take on the remote worker situation? Good for the community? More a bummer for the community because real estate is getting too expensive?

What's your take on the remote worker situation? Good for the community? More a bummer for the community because real estate is getting too expensive?
    What little real estate and rental market there was has quickly evaporated it seems. I'm biased, but as an 'essential' employee watching more and more coworkers move out of the valley and commute its a bummer. We often attempt to back fill positions instantly as things escalate which is impossible when folks live in IF or Pokie.

it's nothing new, just and abrupt escalation of what already exists here.

Honestly, it sucks. Remote workers are like tourists that never leave. It may be the future, but the mountain town communities are not dealing with it well. No where to run to, no where to ride. Every trailhead, river, fishing hole etc. is crowded out by a bunch of Johny Come Latelys you can't beleive that it is crowded out at 3pm on a Wednesday. "I wrapped up my Zoom early and figured I'd go for a quick ride" says the guy that looks around and wonders why everybody looks like him.

I get why people want to do it and I don't blame them. But the dynamic of cool rural areas is changing as we speak. I suppose the only thing I should be surprised about is how good we had it for the last 25 years.

Seems like these small, rural mountain towns are becoming a significantly shittier place to live for the people who have a legitimate reason to be there. Kevo's post can be filed in the ever growing stack of "reasons we can't have nice things."
    Last edited by glademaster; 08-12-2020 at 07:40 PM.