Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I'd keep away from a wrangler. Nothing wrong with the jeep but why give an inexperienced driver a car that isn't very stable?

I'd go with a civic or similar. Hell you can get a new one for close to your limit. It will be reliable for years.

What does the kid want other than a stick?

P.S. You can fit a lot of kids in a Wrangler if you want. My first car was a CJ7 (with hardtop) I fit 6+ people in it once. Driver, girl on center console, front passenger, 2 on the back seat and 1 more behind the rear seat. There may have been other two seating on the rear wheel wells next to the back seat.
    The TJ's are WAAAAAAAY more stable than a CJ7..I know, I owned one for three years, it drove really well....as long as they are not lifted very high, they are fine. A civic is too fast of a car, and they are gay.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I'll second or third the 4Runner. Don't get anything new though, get a 85-89 that has a stick and the 4-slow engine. You'll solve all your problems. Cheap to insure, check... stick so friends can't drive, check... bulletproof, check... can't steal it from him for skiing, check... easy / cheap to fix, check.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    One other thing- I remember my best friends mom talking to us when we were maybe freshman in high school. She told us that she knew that since we were in high school we would probably be drinking a some point and if we ever, for any reason whatsoever, needed a ride at any time of day or night to give her call and she would pick us up. No questions asked, but not to ever drive a car if you have even a single drink and don't ever ride in a car with someone who had anything to drink driving.

I think that was pretty solid and reasonable deal and that more parents should do that.
    My parents made the same rules for my brother and I.

I maybe used this a dozen times in HS, not once was I EVER questioned.
    Now dad would wake me up at the butt crack of dawn to take me to get the car, but that was it.

find an old Susuki Samarai
    cheap durable
    cant go fast, good off road
    doesnt tip as easy as you think

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    My parents made the same rules for my brother and I.

I maybe used this a dozen times in HS, not once was I EVER questioned.
    Now dad would wake me up at the butt crack of dawn to take me to get the car, but that was it.
    You were probably still drunk that early I bet too?

Whatever you do, just don't buy a car with a lot of horsepower.

When my friend turned 17 his parents upgraded him from the shitty pos hyundai that he bought to a brand new subaru wrx. Wow. How we are all still alive I have no idea, maybe because those things can be drove to such a high-level I guess.
    there's powder out there, and it ain't gonna find you

http://www.powaholic.blogspot.com/

Plenty of room for a bed, skis whatever the fuck.
    Slow as hell.
    HUGE.

Hell, I bet for under 15 you could get an older volvo or mercedes hearse.

When I die, if some jackass puts me in a VOLVO hearse, I will come back and haunt his/her children and grandchildren, and their grandchildren...
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Found this little number on ebay. Looks pretty durable. Little out of the price range, but it might be worth the extra bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-4-S...mZ280435063772
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

How cool the car is has nothing to do with whether he'll get laid in it. I fucked my first girlfriend in the back of a 1981 Chevy Citation...
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    How cool the car is has nothing to do with whether he'll get laid in it. I fucked my first girlfriend in the back of a 1981 Chevy Citation...
    You couldn"t wait for her parents to go out and fuck her on their bed
    I still think my Accord suggestion is a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Whoever said a two door bench seat pickup, I agree.

BDL, you in the Bozeman area? I might have an 02 chevy 1500 standard cab V6 w/ a stick for sale... Its a sweet car, 4x4 with only 50k on it. The thing is basic, crank windows, no power locks, really fun to drive.

I'm with Kevo...my parents let me drive their cars (and still do; I'm 24) since I was 16. They did, however, make me work to pay insurance. But otherwise, they trusted that I wouldn't fuck around in a 2000lb vehicle that could kill someone, I would get the car home by PA's junior license curfew (11pm), and my parents also told me that if I did drugs or drank, I'd be killed. I was, at that point, more afraid of them than the cops. If you know your kid, get him whatever. If my parents could have spent 10k on me then, they probably would have.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post

Plenty of room for a bed, skis whatever the fuck.
    Slow as hell.
    HUGE.
    Your kid could pull so much freaky goth pussy with that, it's not even funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    One other thing- I remember my best friends mom talking to us when we were maybe freshman in high school. She told us that she knew that since we were in high school we would probably be drinking a some point and if we ever, for any reason whatsoever, needed a ride at any time of day or night to give her call and she would pick us up. No questions asked, but not to ever drive a car if you have even a single drink and don't ever ride in a car with someone who had anything to drink driving.

I think that was pretty solid and reasonable deal and that more parents should do that.
    I had that same arrangement with my folks. It came about the day after I called my parents twice (second time at 1am) to tell them I was spending the night at my friend's house.

I agree with the cheap safe car idea for a 16y/o.

Whatever you do definitely buy it yourself and don't make him pay for it. My parents made me pay for my truck, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. Which was good for me learning how to budget my paychecks and it felt damn good to have my own truck but when it came time for my parents to punish me it was pretty difficult for them to restrict my driving privileges when ,after all, I did the same thing to have my car that they did to have theirs.

If I got caught ditching school they would try to take my truck away by saying that I somehow abused the privilege. I would be like "Privilege my ass, I payed for it therefore I deserve to do whatever I want with it".

At least if you own it then you can dictate when and how said vehicle is used.

Something to consider about cars w/ sticks, though it means that your friends can't drive it, it also means, if your friend is sober and you need a ride...they might not be able to drive your car... (This is an experience based concern)

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Your kid could pull so much freaky goth pussy with that, it's not even funny.
    If you really played your cards right you could have 4 or 5 pregnant high-school goth chicks on your porch at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    If you really played your cards right you could have 4 or 5 pregnant high-school goth chicks on your porch at the same time!
    Does that bring you back to your New Mexico days?

right because goth is really big in rural new mexico.

I'm not sure why this option hasn't been explored....

It's slow (hence safe), green (all battery), four wheel drive (hello snow!) and pre-stickered (chicks will flock):

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Bought the ceo an x-terra in 05' she borrowed it to one of her student employees. Bounced it off a parking lot pole, first dent. Next day hit a patch of ice and rolled it. Had it put back together and she decieded she no longer liked it. The boys got a car. It did not take 6 months and that thing was beat to shit. Last summer oldest boy piled into a tunnel wall, not good. Kid was ok but the part that got me is when I said "what the fuck were you doing" he said you never liked that car anyway. Bottom line is don't spend any more than nessasary cause they are all little assholes

This has got to be one of the dumbest fucking threads I've ever read on TGR. TGR narcissism at its finest. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieJamesDio View Post
    This has got to be one of the dumbest fucking threads I've ever read on TGR. TGR narcissism at its finest. What the hell is wrong with you people?
    Speaking of cars, maybe you need a Hummer...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post
    All good points.

I guess I'm just a borderline car fanatic, and if my parents had a 15k budget and ended up spending 3k on a civic, I'd be PISSED!

It'd be like if your parents wanted to get you some new (used) skis, and had a budget of UP TO $700. Sure, you could get some sticks that would DO THE JOB for a hundred or so bucks. But, for the right price, you could get something a lot sicker, a lot better/more fun, and yes, maybe even with a little style
    Or, it'd be like we learned how to earn money and buy our own skis.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieJamesDio View Post
    We crack ourselves up. We're smart to boot. And we don't have sandy vaginae. Those of you with sandy vaginae might get offended and leave. But make me a sandwich on your way out. Bitch.
    Living vicariously through myself.