USPS Damaged Package

Well I have not had much luck with USPS shipping lately. They have mangled everything they have had their hands on recently.

Last one arrived today all taped up and empty other than the paperwork- invoice from the shipper. It was an Ebay shipment for a Burton File Guide. I paid through Paypal and used my credit card to fund it so I do have that going for this. The seller did not offer any insurance option (and I did not ask to have it added.)

Questions- the USPS claims process is now all online through their web site. They have an Atlanta office that all the stuff found and not able to be delivered gets sent to. Anyone ever have any luck getting something from this long shot matching of missing merchandise?

Should I just skip everything and go straight to the credit card- Visa and see if they will fund a replacement (preferred instead of a refund). It was an auction- for new merchandise item according to the description and a great deal that will not be able to be matched so a refund will only get me part of a replacement. Is a about $20 to $25 more to order it through a regular store online than the Ebay deal.

I have contacted the seller to to see what they have to say on the matter of no product received.

From my experience with usps if it wasn't insured, you're sol.

Paypal is a pain in the ass... If it's a good cc, chargeback is the way to go.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

a usps office in atlanta?

dude, you are so screwed
    id give up hope on that one

Goods ordered and not received. Shipper's problem. Cancel the credit card charge and give up on the item--the time and aggravation you will spend trying to get it at the discount price will be far more than the money saved.w

BSS Guest
    It doesn't matter if USPS screwed it up or if you bought insurance or not. It's the seller's responsibility to get the item you paid for into your hands or the transaction isn't complete. Period. Sucks for the seller? Yeah, sometimes. Regardless their end of the deal isn't done just because they dropped something in a mail box and it's not your responsibility to clean up the mess for them. Give them the opportunity for them to make it right and go from there. And don't let them string you along forever with the old "post office hasn't gotten back to me yet" either. Your buyer protection runs out in 45 days from purchase on ebay so act quick. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    It doesn't matter if USPS screwed it up or if you bought insurance or not. It's the seller's responsibility to get the item you paid for into your hands or the transaction isn't complete. Period. Sucks for the seller? Yeah, sometimes. Regardless their end of the deal isn't done just because they dropped something in a mail box and it's not your responsibility to clean up the mess for them. Give them the opportunity for them to make it right and go from there. And don't let them string you along forever with the old "post office hasn't gotten back to me yet" either. Your buyer protection runs out in 45 days from purchase on ebay so act quick. Good luck.
    I am aware of the Ebay dispute, started by sending the seller a message stating we have a problem today the same day as the package arrived. I also just so I have backup proof, submitted the USPS claim on line- not that I think it will get anywhere though.

I have not filed a dispute of item not received yet, until a few days down the road to see what the seller is going to offer for possible solutions. The count down for the 45 days - I assume but will check EBay's policy wording is when the auction closed or could be when I paid for the item best case. Good news as I stated is the credit card was chosen, so I have some time to decide- before the holidays would be nice.

Maybe I'll shop for another once I hear from the seller and their response.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    Well technically it depends whether it's FOB shipper or buyer. If it's FOB shipper they have to deliver it the carrier, once that happens the liability and title transfer to buyer and you are SOL and have to deal with USPS. IF it was FOB buyer then delivery needs to be made or attempted to be made before title/liability transfer. Problem is I bet there was no talk of that as with most smaller transactions...
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    Well technically it depends whether it's FOB shipper or buyer. If it's FOB shipper they have to deliver it the carrier, once that happens the liability and title transfer to buyer and you are SOL and have to deal with USPS. IF it was FOB buyer then delivery needs to be made or attempted to be made before title/liability transfer. Problem is I bet there was no talk of that as with most smaller transactions...
    And no one wants to pay for extra shipping/insurance costs.

We've been using USPS as our primary carrier with generally very good reliability, if not excellent. The tracking is not 100%, however. Every once in a while something happens and then basically everyone is SOL because it'll take too long and too much follow up to locate, if at all. ("We can either wait until 30 days has passed before we can do a trace through USPS or we can reship.") It seems to always costs us in time, money and other related 'costs', no matter the circumstances including:

1) stolen packages that were delivered
    2) customers claiming the package was not delivered
    3) customers giving incorrect shipping information
    4) packages that seem to go on a month long cruise through the system and turn up eventually after we already send replacements. (A recent quote from a customer in MT that cracked me up after being MIA for almost 4 weeks, "Hi Terry, the package has arrived as of 12/5. Gotta love the old USPS, to think the someone actually walked it here from SLC, now that's service!! "

A few times, even though it was totally out of our control and technically we could argue it was the customer's problem, it'd be a no win situation for us. Absorbing the cost and hoping karma and good will are real and ultimately beneficial, can be our only real choice. Fair or not. Like it or not.

Many on this site are obviously selling gear to others and may run into these issues, especially with larger items like skis. If the responsibility appears to or is perceived as always the shipper's, it might be a good idea for the individual deals to include insurance charges to CYA.......and don't be afraid to use lots of tape.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

Last one arrived today all taped up and empty other than the paperwork
    How is the feedback for that person? It's possible that they shipped nothing more than a beat up empty box...

Shippers, whether USPS, Fedex, or UPS all blow... I had my most recent gear swap purchase delivered to the wrong address... went out on a hunt and tracked it down, luckily the dude that received it wasn't wearing the jacket as he came to the door.. I would have probably pummeled him.

BSS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    Well technically it depends whether it's FOB shipper or buyer.
    Nope. Not according to the ebay user agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    How is the feedback for that person? It's possible that they shipped nothing more than a beat up empty box...
    I would suspect that was not the case (other than the fact that sometimes when the USPS does damage mail they place a notice that there was damage while in their system on the package) that was not on the package in this case. It clearly was all taped up and had a rip from one end to the other. I used a CC to pay simply because of the fact that they had no feedback at the time I bid and were a new seller. Since that time they have gotten all positive feedback.

It was a great price, so I figured it was worth the extra effort of doing the credit card.

I know the USPS sorting machines and they will chew up stuff just in trying to stick things through their sorters that have no business going through. They treat packages as if they are some standard envelope.

I heard from the seller already and will see what they decide to do.