Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Cooking Kinco Gloves...

Ok, I hear folks are waterproofing their kinco gloves and then putting them in the oven to help "cure" the glove. How hot and how long? Do you apply any salt or pepper?

The oven thing isn't to cook them, just to warm them up so the snow seal soaks in. Wouldn't do more than the lowest "keep warm" setting and long enough till the gloves are hot, just a few minutes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think there are instructions on here somewhere, or perhaps in the SnoSeal information. Basically:
    Heat a few minutes on a low setting
    Rub on SnoSeal
    Heat again
    Wipe off extra
    Let cool
    Carry on.

http://www.atsko.com/articles/footwa...tructions.html
    from
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=snoseal

and the 18 other million threads out there about this.

Ps. Thanks for not doing a search, I was more than happy to do your work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Ps. Thanks for not doing a search, I was more than happy to do your work for you.
    ... apparently.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Sno Seal recommends 125 degrees.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

the leather recommends room temp

I cooked some at 300º and they turned out fine, just don't leave 'em in to long.

Anyone been able to find the new kinco Buffalo insulated gloves? Can't find 'em anywheres.....

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I cooked some at 300º and they turned out fine, just don't leave 'em in to long.

Anyone been able to find the new kinco Buffalo insulated gloves? Can't find 'em anywheres.....

104 HK ... i haven't touched them, but they'll retail for around $12

Yeah, can't find them for sale anywhere. Look like a good durable spring glove without all that stitching on the palm like the goatskin ones

http://www.kinco.com/prods/np_03.php

Yeah, can't find them for sale anywhere. Look like a good durable spring glove without all that stitching on the palm like the goatskin ones

Those look pretty good.

To the OP: I've had good luck with heating up the can of snoseal first, slathering the softened snoseal into the gloves, and using a hair dryer to finish the job...
    Last edited by mmmthmtskier; 12-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.

i might buy some after i check out a sample. i'll probably only buy the L and XL if they seem good. kinco can be a hit or miss w/ their gloves.

Hairdryer. Keep the snoseal off the dryer or your wife will kill you. If it's your own hairdryer you should be posting on epic ski.

1) Light stove;
    2) Put gloves on;
    3) Open jar;
    4) Grab scoop;
    5) Rub in;
    6) Repeat till coated;
    7) Hold hands safe distance from flame;
    8) Wash, rinse, repeat.

I used an old hairdryer from my GF. Put it on high, heat glove, smear sno-seal on leather (it will/should kind of melt in), then reheat for a bit to let it "cook-in". One tip I have learned is to use those nitrlle gloves I use working on my bike on the hand that is smearing the wax - that crap doesnt come off easily. Repeat as needed.

I did mine in my clothes dryer, which the high setting is not that hot.
    1- Initial heating, 5 minutes or so
    2- put both gloves on and slathered them with sno seal via the "handwashing" movement
    3- put back in dryer for about 10 minutes
    4- repeat step 2 and 3 twice
    5- baked in dryer for about 20 minutes
    6- let 'em cool

They came out perfect for me. I tested them in the shower and they kept the water out just fine.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    2- put both gloves on and slathered them with sno seal via the "handwashing" movement
    6- let 'em cool

They came out perfect for me. I tested them in the shower and they kept the water out just fine.
    What? This has to fuck up your dryer.

This may only work because I live in New Mexico at a fairly high altitude, but will probably work anywhere that gets good sunlight. I put the gloves and SnoSeal in direct sun in a south-facing window for a half-hour on a sunny day and everything gets warm enough. Put the gloves on, use a hands-washing motion to rub the stuff in, leave gloves in window for another hour.

Clothes dryer? Jesus.

I tossed mine in a low oven with the door cracked open for about 10 minutes. Then I flipped them and gave 'em another 7 minutes. When the came out they were just on the verge of being too warm to put on. Then I put them on and thoroughly rubbed Obenauf's LP into them and popped 'em back in the oven for about 5 more minutes. Finally I took them out put them back on and re-rubbed the Obenauf's into them for a second light coat. I've redone that treatment a couple of times over the last 2 years and the Kinco's are thoroughly waterproof. The water just beads up on the leather now.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    6- let 'em cool

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    On the plus side, your next load of underwear will have a 10K waterproof rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    No it works just fine, no residue or anything either. I did it three times so I didn't have to use a ton of snoseal each time. Gloves came out perfect and didn't cause any problems with the dryer.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    This may only work because I live in New Mexico at a fairly high altitude, but will probably work anywhere that gets good sunlight. I put the gloves and SnoSeal in direct sun in a south-facing window for a half-hour on a sunny day and everything gets warm enough. Put the gloves on, use a hands-washing motion to rub the stuff in, leave gloves in window for another hour.

Clothes dryer? Jesus.
    did this in the summer when i had to waterproof my hiking boots. they are black, so that might have helped but they definatly got hot enough to soak in a shit load of wax. good and waterproof after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

while sitting down hold the hair dryer or heat gun between your knees ,put the gloves on your hands and apply snoseal/heat them as you work the snow seal into them

I can't belive you guy get that tech with this. I just rub some on and put it the microwave for like a min. Repeat. Let cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Ingredients
    *girlfriend's cookie sheet
    *tinfoil
    *oven
    *snow seal

Directions .......preheat oven to 200ish
    -place gloves in oven for about a couple minutes
    -put layer of tinfoil on cookie sheet
    -remove gloves and apply snow seal liberally
    -place gloves back in oven for a couple minutes
    -repeat 2-3 times

yields one, "waterproof" glove, good for 1-2 seasons