Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I am really happy with what they are doing this year.New blood in the management makes a ton of difference.
    Yeah, they had a guy with a gun and a badge enforcing no cutting on chair one

Glad to hear they're putting all the money from the discount season's passes to good use, how was the traffic?

Was South Bowl open? Chair 4? Top of chair 4 straight to the parking lot?

I wish I had gone to Baldy today, woke up at 4 and headed towards Bear, never got there. The road was closed at Super Sweet Snow Valley. I waited in line for a ticket for over an hour because their credit card system went down. They were not prepared for the snow at all and by 1:30 only had one lift running higher than the bunny slopes. Lift lines were eternal, I ended up leaving early and heading home.

mt baldy 1/25

Anyone want to go Baldy on Monday, 1/25? If I can get a ride up there I could hook you up with a lift ticket, or perhaps other desired goods. Planning to play hooky from work, but not sure my car will make it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Glad to hear they're putting all the money from the discount season's passes to good use, how was the traffic?

Was South Bowl open? Chair 4? Top of chair 4 straight to the parking lot?
    Lousy. Yes. Yes, and yes.
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'.

I am really happy with what they are doing this year.New blood in the management makes a ton of difference.
    Can you detail the changes on the mtn? What's/who's new in mgmt? Does this offer the prospect of a semblance of competence, and therefore more business for them? Such an underutilized asset that place is.

Headed up to Mt High due to being in a mixed-ability group. Observed the shit show people have been talking about on the way up. First time at MH so I poked tentatively around their easily-accessible slackcountry down to Hwy 2 and in between. Fantastic, deep and mostly untouched. Don't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Don't go there.
    x2

Doesn't have the steeps and is chock-full of terrain traps, but it can be pretty damn good on the right aspects on the right days.

So envious of you guys...ugh.

x2

Doesn't have the steeps and is chock-full of terrain traps, but it can be pretty damn good on the right aspects on the right days.

So envious of you guys...ugh.
    The terrain traps were pretty easy to see and avoid. Given the lack of steeps, that's pretty much the only places you want to avoid. The choicest lines from West avoid it entirely.

Drop me a PM next time you want to head up - I'm in Studio City, on the way to everywhere from Thousand Oaks.

Headed up to Mt High due to being in a mixed-ability group. Observed the shit show people have been talking about on the way up. First time at MH so I poked tentatively around their easily-accessible slackcountry down to Hwy 2 and in between. Fantastic, deep and mostly untouched. Don't go there.
    r u fucking serious?

the park was on fire.

Alright SoCal mags, I need a really stupid jong question answered: At Baldy (which sounds like the only place worth going to) is there controlled non-groomer terrain thats not out of bounds? The trailmap makes it look like everything on the mountain is cleared, groomed trails, but that can't be the case. Is it just a piss poor map?

Will be in Indio for business next week, might be able to swing a quick day trip, wondering if its worth the drive.

This message has self-destructed per TGR's Keeping the Goods "Unhit" by Gaper Fags" policy.
    Last edited by Viva; 01-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Quote Originally Posted by cu77 View Post
    r u fucking serious?

the park was on fire.
    Looks epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    Alright SoCal mags, I need a really stupid jong question answered: At Baldy (which sounds like the only place worth going to) is there controlled non-groomer terrain thats not out of bounds? The trailmap makes it look like everything on the mountain is cleared, groomed trails, but that can't be the case. Is it just a piss poor map?

Will be in Indio for business next week, might be able to swing a quick day trip, wondering if its worth the drive.
    Basically nothing at Baldy is groomed. I mean technically they "groom" a few trails, but we ski there because it's all fun steep off piste in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post

What Viva said.
    Last edited by davieboot; 01-26-2010 at 08:32 PM.

The terrain traps were pretty easy to see and avoid.
    I was actually mentioning the gullies with regard to being deposited with an avy, the debris pile might only be 20 feet wide but 25 feet deep.

Yeah, I do know the lines of which you speak. How much snow is there at the base elevation of East? There's another ridge a short skin away I'd like to try lapping sometime.

Saturday Jan 23, 2010
    Parked at Icehouse FS parking area and hitched hiked the last few miles to the ski area. Some guys driving a jeep with no doors picked me up and it was a pretty fun ride up to the parking lot.

They were still plowing the parking lot and had stopped cars, so I walked from the lower lot to the ticket window. They opened the ticket window around 0730. Seemed like they started loading chair 1 around 0800. They had to do a little digging:

Did one lap on chair 2 and by then thunder was open. Excellent untracked runs for most of the morning.

The disadvantage to the $50 season passes and Baldy acting professionally is the large crowds. I think it is time to stop bragging about how good the skiing at Baldy is...took this at 1330:

Thankfully, I was able to keep skiing good stuff without having to wait in lines and made turns until 1530. Skied down to below Manker flats, and got a ride down the switch backs to ice house, so avoided getting stuck trying to drive through most of the snow play assholes.

Epic day:

Sunday Jan 24th:
    Everyone got the memo about getting up early. I was a bit later, but they opened a virtual pass only ticket line and I was the first to get one, so ended up getting on chair one by 0800. Bombed down a groomer on 4 and made several laps on thunder until about 1030, when the crowd on thunder got worse than in the photo from yesterday. Worked out well, because I skied really good snow with no lift lines until 1400 when the legs could take no more.
    Photo of my tracks from Sunday afternoon:

The line on chair 4 was moving so waited in that to make a run on some afternoon corn and take in the view:

5 star weekend.

I was actually mentioning the gullies with regard to being deposited with an avy, the debris pile might only be 20 feet wide but 25 feet deep.

Yeah, I do know the lines of which you speak. How much snow is there at the base elevation of East? There's another ridge a short skin away I'd like to try lapping sometime.
    I'd venture there is a good 4' of consolidated base at the bottom of East. I didn't hit anything all the way down to that base elevation, even on slopes that deviated substantially from due North, so I think you'll be good.
    Last edited by Tin Woodsman; 01-25-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Word on the Mt. Waterman website has them opening Friday for the first time this year. Anyone looking to carpool? I'm interested in trying out the newly deforested Avalanche bowl.

Looks like some guys from powder mag went up on Friday:
    http://www.powdermag.com/features/ne...al-face-shots/

some funny captions in the photo gallery.

Four feet is plenty, it's not too rocky in there and two feet is (sort of) enough, depending on how bad you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Yeah, they had a guy with a gun and a badge enforcing no cutting on chair one
    New here, but I was at Baldy on Saturday, and I have to say they hardly have it organized. The skiing was great- lots of cool terrain, good coverage and nice soft stuff, but they really need to do something about those lines. Tons of cutting, lots of entitled "locals" (guys who have been going there many years who think its their mountain), saw guys jumping in right at the front at chair 1, right by patrollers, and they didn't say anything.

Its a great ski area- lots of fun, real home town feel, but they need to rope off some mazes and get the cutting/lines under control and a little more organized. A massive, single file line for the chairlift is no way to run the place. They are so close- all it would take is some rope and mazes to make it feel like they had it together.

Quote Originally Posted by capitolm94 View Post
    A massive, single file line for the chairlift is no way to run the place.
    Single file is way better than what I'm used to seeing there.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

There is a core group "locals" that put in extra time to help maintain/run the hill.Most times it involves sweep duty since there is so much sidecountry to cover.Patrol cannot take care of all of it alone.Some offer rides up the hill to the workers,feed patrol at the top of Thunder/bbq ,maintenance help during the summer,etc.
    Things are fine most days/no lines.You just picked the most crowded day of the season to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Single file is way better than what I'm used to seeing there.
    Yeah, in years past it was much much worse.

Things are fine most days/no lines.You just picked the most crowded day of the season to go up.
    yep. I'm guessing the busiest weekend at Baldy ever.