Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    30 degrees at Baldy right now and raining at my houseCheers to the late start of our season.........

got pounded here all day. Rain and snow mixed. About 1-2" slush on the ground right now. Snow Valley reported 3" new mid afternoon. Summit reports 3-5" @ 1700. Currently 31F and no precip @ 6300 in Arrowbear.

Looking to take a splitty or snowshoes up to baldy this Sunday. Anyone interested in taking advantage of the 2-4' projected??

anyone go up today?

Friday is probably the day, can't imagine what a goatscrew it will be up there on Saturday. This day job thing is really screwing up my recreational activities...

Quote Originally Posted by skovich010 View Post
    Looking to take a splitty or snowshoes up to baldy this Sunday. Anyone interested in taking advantage of the 2-4' projected??
    Watch yourself up there, could be dicey.

wow we are getting pounded down here!! and tornado warnings whats going on? from what i heard Mt. high is closed because of the conditions wow

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Watch yourself up there, could be dicey.
    Quoted for truth.A really ugly ice layer under all that fresh pow.
    It will also be a shitshow with all the flatlanders triple parking and shoveling their pickup beds full of snow on Sat/Sun.
    Friday should be the day

still gettin hammered..xcept its snowin

Winter storm warning in effect until Friday AM. Top end of estimates for snowfall...89"...yup thats over 7' of snow...mins are forcasted around 48"
    Currently commin down at 1"+/hr and the cold front has yet to arrive. The wind is still gusting to 50 or so. The windloading should be tremendous and the rain has soaked the existing snowpack. Havent found a real crust around here and the snow is bonding pretty well to what was on the gound. But Ill also issue another caution for when you get out! Though Im not sure that the flatlanders will even be able to get up here....

I looked at Baldy driving by last Sunday and there wasn't much snow at all (actually a good thing), but I suppose I couldn't see the north facing slopes and the trees may have been hiding a lot of ice. At least this storm started out high and wet, should help things adhere.

Still spooky though, especially after seeing the slides at Wrightwood two years ago. That was only two feet on top of a hard crust, separated by a half-inch of graupel. It was terrible, shooting cracks everywhere and nothing but deep terrain traps below.

If I didn't have a ton of work to do I'd be tempted to hit Pinos on AT this weekend, doubt anyone could even get to local slopes on Sat/Sun with all the snowplayers that are sure to be out.

Just wanted to update. It has been quite a ride up here. We have got around 4' outta this storm event but it has been a mixed bag. Yesterday it rained, snowed, sleeted and graupeled all day long resulting in a 10-12" super saturated layer. It was some of the heaviest slop I have ever shoveled. Around my yard and neighborhood slopes of 30-35 degrees were sliding and sloughing when my dogs and I were tromping around. We got 12"+ of nice light snow overnite and it is currently snowing 1"/hr. Needless to say it will be extreemly unstable around the resort elevations for some time. Dont know what the SGW looks like if they avoided the rain it might be good but probably deeeeep.

Where are you located?

^^^ he is in Arrowbear @ 6300.
    1000-oaks, I take it you didn't go up today? I would have but am still getting over a cold. Hopefully tomorrow ( traffic/people are going to suck ).
    tele58, thanks for the updates. You should post some photos if you get a chance...shoveling new snow is fun!

^^^406 for the win. Ill get some more pics up when I get back in from shoveling. Todays effort shouldnt be too bad since the snow fell around 24F...

Took a M-F job, no more weekday ski trips for me.

Procrastinating on more "fun" shoveling so I though Id post those pics b4 I go out. Nite pics are from Tuesday other pics are this AM pre-fun...Enjoy! The last pic is my wife's CRV - honest

Wow! Those are some deep looking drifts.Thanks for the pics
    Not sure about the rest of the S.G`s but Baldy had a bulletproof layer as of last Friday.I heard that it started to soften a little on the weekend.North facing aspects might be dicey right now.
    Here is a pic from last Dec. It looked exactly the same last Friday when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by tele58 View Post
    The last pic is my wife's CRV - honest
    WOW! Very cool.

Any reports on any avy signs yet, or is it holding?

Going up to Baldy early tomorrow despite the potential madness. Made tix reservations already on my virtual pass. Heard the road was closed today. Anyone else heading up there? Hope they don't require chains on 4wd.

No clue what tomorrow might bring..but, chains were required on all vehicles, including 4wheel/all-wheel drive, before they closed both 330/18 and 38 today..We are headed to Baldy on Sunday with the rest of the crowd...wish I could demo some fatties...

had my first semi-baldy experience today. the road was a SHITSHOW...if it continues to snow don't go up without chains... i don't care what kind of car you have. trucks, suvs, subarus were all sliding around and slamming in to each other this morning. they were taking forever to get things opened and running and i didn't have all day so i built a little booter near the road with some buddies and left before anything besides chair 1 was open. 6"-12" light fluffy snow over an extremely dense rain or wind damaged layer. don't know what it was like up higher.

Just came in for a break. It is still snowing here. As for avi conditions, I would rate them extreme around here. Around my yard shoveling slopes 25-35 were settling and sloughing. Yesterdays saturated layer is very heavy. The new snow fell warmer and wetter in the beginning and then lightened up. I would say that we now have 18" new and 12" of that is very light. Some of the new stuff was sloughing so it did not bond well. Wait till you see the mess the county left for our vehicles. If I werent so tired Id be livid....

Guys, trying to understand the situation there.
    As far as the road. Seems like there is a chance they will close it tomorrow?
    If they don't close, probably a good idea to put chains no matter what car we are driving, right? I have an AWD.

And in relation to the snow. Is the light stuff on top of the heavy? Or it's pretty much heavy all around?

The road to Baldy will probably be open tomorrow but they might require chains on all vehicles including 4WD.

The snow is the light stuff over heavy frozen over stuff which makes it more prone to slide.