"Bad" weather shooting.

Now that winter has decided to show up, and I'm going to be out in the elements a bit more with expensive gear, how do you guys protect yourself and your gear from all the hazards of winter shooting?

Just wondering.....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Now that winter has decided to show up, and I'm going to be out in the elements a bit more with expensive gear, how do you guys protect yourself and your gear from all the hazards of winter shooting?

Just wondering.....
    Insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Insurance.
    Lol. Check. $34 a month for me to be a klutz.

I got a Nikon camera...I love to take a photograph...So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

I was thinking garbage bags but insurance is probably a more refined approach.

Is there a hands down favorite for providing this coverage? Is TCP it?

With far too much of my net worth tied up in my camera I'd definitely be willing to shell out for insurance.

Out of curiousity, what kind of real world tolerance to snow/rain does a 40D have?

Pentax K7 and DA* lenses :P

Quote Originally Posted by Altmanator View Post
    Is there a hands down favorite for providing this coverage? Is TCP it?

With far too much of my net worth tied up in my camera I'd definitely be willing to shell out for insurance.
    You don't really need the type of policy that TCP provides unless you are shooting professionally....at least $2,000,000 liability, and also event coverage (like, for example, if you screw-up a wedding shoot and your clients take you to court).

So, if you don' need professional coverage, then just put your gear on a valuable personal property rider attached to your homeowners/renters policy.
    I got a Nikon camera...I love to take a photograph...So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

^yup... shit, geico had 20k of totally dummy, no fault, replacement value insurance for 200/ yr. 4 bucks a week? yes please

Ziplock Gallon Freezer bags and a Leatherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Just wondering.....
    1) Buy rugged gear to begin with.
    2) Try not to be an idiot.

1 is easy if you are willing to spend the money. 2 works most of the time.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    1) Buy rugged gear to begin with.

1 is easy if you are willing to spend the money. 2 works most of the time.
    Not long ago, I witnessed a very experienced motorsports photographer get nailed by an ALMS GT2 car when the car impacted the barrier from behind which he was shooting.

His $8000 400mm f/2.8 lens, his $4000 DSLR body, and his nice aluminum monopod went flying away through the air. The whole rig impacted another barrier (steel), and it was a complete loss. Shattered glass and plastic all over the place. His insurance paid full replacement cost for everything within a few days.

So, it's like this:

1. Your gear is not as rugged as you might believe, regardless of cost.
    2. Every photog has an "idiot" moment, at least once in their life.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...H_Pack_of.html and common sense.

If cold is the issue, bring a few batteries, keep the ones your not using in an inside pocket or near (not directly on if in an enclosed space) a handwarmer packet. Swap out warm batteries for cold ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Easier said than done!

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPax View Post
    Not long ago, I witnessed a very experienced motorsports photographer get nailed by an ALMS GT2 car when the car impacted the barrier from behind which he was shooting.

His $8000 400mm f/2.8 lens, his $4000 DSLR body, and his nice aluminum monopod went flying away through the air. The whole rig impacted another barrier (steel), and it was a complete loss. Shattered glass and plastic all over the place. His insurance paid full replacement cost for everything within a few days.
    Holy crap....what happened to the photographer??

Quote Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
    Holy crap....what happened to the photographer??
    He had no insurance and died in the hospital waiting room.

When your gear isn't worth much more than $1,000 (like mine) I would say that plastic bags are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    He had no insurance and died in the hospital waiting room.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The shots are really amazing. It is really difficult to take such nice shots. Great job done by you.

Hi Lonnie,
    Here David from USA.
    I was thinking garbage bags but insurance is probably a more refined approach.Is there a hands down favorite for providing this coverage? Is TCP it?With far too much of my net worth tied up in my camera I'd definitely be willing to shell out for insurance.
    Have a nice day.

if you're shooting in snow, a weatherproof camera bag with a bunch of silica jell packets in it will keep your gear reasonably dry. Keep a lens cloth handy for wiping things down.

Also, don't fire your camera back up when you first get inside, it'll be really cold and get covered in condensation which can fuck up the internals if you turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    if you're shooting in snow, a weatherproof camera bag with a bunch of silica jell packets in it will keep your gear reasonably dry. Keep a lens cloth handy for wiping things down.

Also, don't fire your camera back up when you first get inside, it'll be really cold and get covered in condensation which can fuck up the internals if you turn it on.
    Or perhaps a large ziploc inside you normal bag with said silica gel packets. How much moisture do they absorb? I'd never thought of that before.

What weatherproof bag would people suggest? I have an XTI with a 55-250 as my everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Or perhaps a large ziploc inside you normal bag with said silica gel packets. How much moisture do they absorb? I'd never thought of that before.
    they absorb quite a bit. Zip lock would probably work fine, just remember to take everythign out to dry when you get home, I'm told that will help prevent mold in your nice glass.