Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Ski Pack Shootout - Gregory TARGHEE vs Mammut NIRVANA

Any opinions?

I messed with the Nirvana in person and thought it was the best thing since the La Miej. Then I saw the Targhee online and it looks like a pack that finally has suspension in mind for packing skiing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Damn false advertisement. Thought you were gonna put 'em thru the wringer for us
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Let's hear your thoughts on the Nirvana then.

I find the Mammut packs waaaay too short. The hipbelt rides around my nipples. And I'm only 5'11". Too bad as the pack is well designed.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Yea I forgot the ? in the title.

I might just order both and see which I keep.

ive got nothing to go off of other than the interwebz, but the mammut looks to be the one id go with

seems a bit more simple, less things to break or snag, a little more streamlined, full back access panel, just overall the one I think "looks" better.

i still love my la meije

I just purchased that pack. I'm coming from an Osprey Switch 26 and have done mostly resort hikes with my switch, no real BC trips. The Mammut is hands down, the best ski pack I've owned. I had the Kode 30 for a few days, but it was just too clunky trying to get into the avy pouch. This pack has all the features I was looking for (goggle holder, helmet holder, back panel access, A-Frame and diagonal, and straight jacket type straps for snowshoeing (or a board). It carries skis very solidly from just having it on in my apt. Some of the smaller detail designs I really like - both the lower ice tool loops and the A-frame strap stow away so they don't snag things. It comes with an extra strap (ski carry) in case one breaks. Waste belt comes off - though not sure how much I'd use that. Insulated drink tube in the shoulder strap and the bladder holder hangs freely in the dry compartment so it's easy to move it out of the way (not attached to back panel or the inside of the pack), although there is no strap to hang the bladder from. There is a zipper on the bottom of the pack that gives access into the panel that falls away from the pack when you open the avy pouch. Inside is a larger piece of material that is the helmet holder for full face helmets. Inside there is also where you adjust the lower a-frame strap. There is actually quite a bit of room in there as you have access into that hold section that isn't accessed in the avy pouch. I'm not really sure how useful this area is, but you could fit quite a bit of stuff in there.

Material wise, this pack is bomber. The Kode felt like some of the pack's straps might break, or you might feel bad brushing up against a tree, but this pack is pretty burly. Functionally wise, it feels very close in design to the BD Outlaw, but I think has better details.

If anyone wants pictures, I could take some and post them.
    "And I love it that other senior members apparently don't realize when they're jonging someone who's sarcastically jonging someone that they know is making a sarcastic funny...

we're now in some sort of irony wormhole." -DAFTC

WP,

How's the fit? What's your torso length and overall body shape?

Sounds like a sweet pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

WP, how would you compare the suspension of the Mammut to the Kode?

There is no comparison. The Kode has no suspension, the Mammut has a fucking awesome suspension.

I have the Nirvana and the Targhee in my living room right now... going to compare them in a bit.

I'm 5'8 145ish with a slightly shorter torso and average shoulder width. I read on here that Mammut packs run pretty short, and I would have to agree as this pack fits me pretty well when loaded up. It's hard to tell how well this would fit someone that is 6' or taller.

The suspension and how it carries reminds me of arcteryx packs in that the hip belt and back panel are stiff and solid, as well as the shoulder straps seem to hold their shape more than say.... the Kode. I'd have to say this carries much better than the kode as the back panel and hip belt feel a more robust and thought out - design wise. The straps for carrying skis are definitely more robust than the Kode and skis feel more solid as well - especially when diagonal. I don't think the Mammut carries light years more than the Kode, but the features and access to compartments alone makes this a much better pack. It just feels burly and considering it has 5 L more volume, but 3 ounces more than the Kode shows how well thought out this pack is.
    "And I love it that other senior members apparently don't realize when they're jonging someone who's sarcastically jonging someone that they know is making a sarcastic funny...

Thanks. I have a similarly short torso, so sounds like the Mammut might work.

Summit, the Kode is the ONLY ski pack I've ever tried on that fit me even remotely decently. I attribute this to it having a backpanel and strap design that is actually anatomical instead of just a slab with some straps hanging off it. My Covert, for example, might be "beefier" but it carries like shit.

Does anyone in Summit Co carry the Nirvana?

The only Mammut packs I've been able to look at are a couple of their climbing packs, which are unimpressive.

If you are in Summit County, you can try mine out. Otherwise, Bend Gate in Golden has them.

I also have a short Targhee you could try.

Word, didn't realize they had them. I'm in Denver, thought I was gonna have to drive to Summit to find one.
    Thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Word, didn't realize they had them. I'm in Denver, thought I was gonna have to drive to Summit to find one.
    Thanks for the offer though.
    I'm in the Lodo area if you want to try mine. I bought the last black one from Bent Gate, but they still had a green one there, unless they have more packs in storage somewhere.

Hmm... if it's shorter, I'm probably out. I'm 6'1" but don't have a huge torso (19"). Still fairly solidly in a medium in pretty much everything though.

Still looking for that mid-volume pack.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm pretty much running this pack as short as it will go, so there still might be room for ya if you're a 19" torso. I'd try it before ruling it out. It's worth it.

scuts- take a look at the flylow trashpack. I'm really liking mine, its light, has the right features, got good suspension and had the adjustability to fit a range of torso sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    scuts- take a look at the flylow trashpack. I'm really liking mine, its light, has the right features, got good suspension and had the adjustability to fit a range of torso sizes.
    Yeah, I saw that pack. Looks sick, but... not available via prodeal.

anyone know if the denver/golden/lakewood shops have the flylow pack in stock? i would like to take a look at it
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Mystery ranch packs are great ski packs. I have the saddle peak that is a low volume pack...great for the resort and slackcountry, but when I picked it up at the factory they also have a new version that looks very similar, but has a higher volume that would be a great daypack but would still perform well on the area. They have great suspension, super bomber straps, and IMO the best ski carrying system.....perhaps not the best if you snowboard, but great ski packs....

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    anyone know if the denver/golden/lakewood shops have the flylow pack in stock? i would like to take a look at it
    Yes. Saw one at Bent Gate when I got my Mammut a few days ago.

Used the nirvana pack this weekend. Someone asked about harness size and shoulders. I'd say this is probably a pack for someone with broader shoulders. The cut is such that it feels pretty wide without the breast strap synched down. I'm 5'8 140 lbs, so a thinner build with average size shoulders.

There is an aluminum U-shaped rod that is removable. After bending it a bit, I was able to improve the fit of the pack by quite a bit.

The chest strap is adjustable from either side so you can position the buckle to be located at either side of the strap. Useful if you have an Avalung or something else across your chest where having the chest strap dead center isn't convenient.

Insulated hose on the shoulder strap doesn't work as mine froze in about the same amount of time as any other pack in the winter. You could maybe add shaker heaters to the strap, but I think just removing the bladder and it's holder and using a nalgene is probably better.

Hip belt removes easily and there is a minimalist strap you can use in its place. There is also a male and female connecter attached to the waist belt (one is beneath the waist belt pocket) and haven't quite figured out what they're for. I guess you could take the thin strap that is used in place of the waist belt (if removed) and attach that strap to the waist buckle and make a gear hang loop for alpine gear.

The upper strap for diagonal carry is removable, but I actually haven't figured out how to attach it in the first place. Summit, if you have, maybe you could enlighten me? I'm pretty smart about gear, but apparently not smart enough.

I removed the mesh helmet carry and just use the larger helmet carry that is hidden at the bottom of the pack. The lower ice carry, diagonal carry, and helmet carry all stow away and the mesh one seems too dangly and would likely snag on something. So with that removed, the pack is pretty minimalistic with regards to shit hanging off of it.

There are little rope toggles on the flip locks used to adjust the straps. Very handy and easy to use with gloves on. Overall, I was able to adjust everything with gloves on.

Barely enough room in the avy pouch with a shovel, probe, and handle to fit my skins, but they fit nonetheless.

Overall, I still think this pack is the cat's ass. Sturdy, robust materials, and has a ton of usable features. I'd say this is comparable to a lot of Osprey packs in regards to the thoughtfulness of its features.

Summit - Any idea how to attach the upper diagonal ski carry?

Review very similar to my feelings. Great pack and just big enough for me at 6ft 1.

Same question about the upper diagonal ski strap? How the fuck does it attach and where?! I used the upper horizontal one instead and that seemed to work well but still want to know how this feature is meant to work !?

Nirvana is awesome, used it for a few weeks this summer in Chile and it holds a lot but stays pretty low profile, simple design, enough bells and whistles to accommodate my needs but not so many that they get annoying. Agreed that the aluminum bars take a bit of tweaking for the pack to fit better
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Bought a Nirvana. Really like it.

Upper diagonal ski carry attaches like this:

It's a tight fit to get the ends of the strap into the little plastic loops attached to the pack, but they will fit.

The thin hip belt strap with the extra connectors on the waist belt can be used to pull the pack load in closer to the hip belt. Lots of backpacking packs have this. Really only useful if you've got a lot of weight on the pack.

I like the fact that the hydration sleeve can be removed entirely.

I've been using the mesh helmet carry. It's so easy to remove that I just take it off and stow it in the pack while I'm skiing.

Goggle pocket could be a bit bigger.

Fits me quite well without tweaking the frame at all. Waaaay better than my old Covert.