Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sweet. That's kind of how I thought the ski carry attached, but figured it couldn't possibly be that difficult to install.

I figured that extra waist strap could be used for pulling the load in as well, but thought it might serve another purpose as well since it's so long.

Thanks for posting that pic, dude!
    "And I love it that other senior members apparently don't realize when they're jonging someone who's sarcastically jonging someone that they know is making a sarcastic funny...

we're now in some sort of irony wormhole." -DAFTC

Actually, I just looked at your pic again, and I see you used the male end of the upper A frame clip. I actually used the both male and female clips from that removable piece and put them both through that single d ring loop on the bag (each going the opposite direction through that loop). Who knows how they intended it to be used, but it's clearly not designed to be constantly removed.

"And I love it that other senior members apparently don't realize when they're jonging someone who's sarcastically jonging someone that they know is making a sarcastic funny...

we're now in some sort of irony wormhole." -DAFTC

That definitely works too. The way I did it should pull the skis in tighter to the pack, but your method probably accommodates bigger skis.

So far:

Nirvana The year round ski pack

PRO:
    Outstanding suspension
    Incredibly snug fit
    Highly customizable
    Ridiculously fast A-Frame (great for spring/summer when you are carrying your boots)

CON:
    Can't fit many types of avalanche shovels and those that do just barely fit.
    I haven't been able to get my probe to fit in the avi pocket and have been keeping it in the main pocket... will futz more with it later.

Targhee: The great winter ski pack. (also a great SAR pack)

PRO:
    I love the probe/saw pocket seperate from the shove/skin pocket.
    You can attach anything to this pack. I mean anything... and shittons of anything. I mean you could probably strap your dining room table to it. It wouldn't be comfy, but you can.
    Good suspension
    Has vertical ski carry

CON:
    The back panel access zipper broke in two weeks rendering the pack useless.
    Zipper pulls came off... four in two weeks. Time for Gregory's legendary warranty.
    Diagonal ski carry is not really very diagonal... pretty much is just vertical.
    Hoohah about the ski carry attaching directly to the suspension is just marketing jazz... works the same as any pack
    Last edited by Summit; 01-25-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^^ Which probe? A long one I'd imagine. I have the 320cm G3.

And which shovels could you get in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

BCA SR3 wouldn't fit (300cm). Section length is not especially long. I had no problem putting it in the avi tool pocket of any BD pack or the Targhee. I'll try their 240cm later (it's only 1" shorter).

G3 Avitech barely fits which means most shovels won't fit. My SOS shovel wouldn't fit. I'll try my BCA and BD shovels later. One wonders how many Mammut shovels would manage to fit???
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

My BCA Carbon 340 probe fits. It's tight, but it fits without too much difficulty.
    My BCA Companion shovel fits easily. But I could definitely see some of the taller shovels like the BD Deploy 7 or Transfer 7 not fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledpants View Post
    Actually, I just looked at your pic again, and I see you used the male end of the upper A frame clip.
    I didn't use the A-frame clip, I took the top horizontal strap (meant for snowboards) off and used it for the diagonal carry.

You experts, I need your knowledge to pull the trigger on backpack.
    Use: go up with snowboard attached and come down with snowshoes attached. In the future might make the jump and buy a splitboard. Don't see myself doing overnight trips. Mainly Italy.
    Therefore I started focusing on something light and not too big. I excluded the Osprey Kamber 22 since there is no snowboard attach.
    I saw in a store Mammut Nirvana Ride 22 and Pro 25. They both looked heavy (especially the Pro model) and big enough. Talking to people though it seems everyone suggests to go bigger than 25 liters, even for day trips.

My understanding is that the Pro is heavier but has back access. The Kamber 32 is OK and has multiple helmet carry positions, but to gain access to backpanel you need to unbuckle shoulder straps. Unlike the Pro, access is only from back.

Then i also discovered the Gregory Targeee 26 which might be the right size. Also, saw the BCA Stash 30, but wonder how works the moving hipbelt.

So, should I simply buy the Nirvana Ride 22? Or another model, like the Targee 26? Have you experienced the Kamber 32? Or any other model mentioned above?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums