Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Calling all free heelers: Tele Exercises

New tele skier struggling with endurance fatigue issues.

bought a tele setup this year and have been trying to get out as much as I can early season to get ready for when the snow starts falling.

I have been getting gassed after 10 groomer runs and some days feeling weak after 5 or so. I don't seem to be building strength or endurance like I expected or desire. This is fuckin annoying me to no end. Im up for the challenge just wanting results I guess.

I was wondering if anyone had any exercises they like to get them in shape to shred strong all day.

If you are gonna respond with "you're a pussy" or "tele sucks" save your worthless banter for another thread where you can "express" your bad ass self

thanks

bong hits first thing in the morning.

"you're a pussy" and "tele sucks"

Run stairs and do lots of lunges.

And search on telemarktips. This subject is covered ad nauseum every fall over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ski more.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Ski more.
    Doesn't that solve all of life's problems?

Cycling in the off season, crossfit everyday...

Ski your ass off and dont stop when you think you're tired. Keep going til' you fall.

Jumping lunges, walking lunges, squatting, seated rest. Just work your quads. Do some circuit work to really burn yourself out.

But you're a pussy, so instead you're going to just turn up and ski parallel whilst trying to impress people in the lift line.

Besides, tele sucks.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Yeah, tele sucks!

Really? That was my first thought when I watched this vid of the young Dylan Crossman. You suck, Schnapi! Don't be a buzz kill. You didn't like tele because you couldn't do it nor did ya have the strength to keep up with your bros on alpine gear. So who's the pussy? To answer the young chaps question - ski, ski, ski! Top to bottoms to the legs are gunna fall off and then do it some more! Bike and/or run in the off season and a focused weight program will help too. No matter what type of turns your mak'n your laugh'n or ya ain't doing it right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eI5qPjyU2Y"]YouTube- Dylan Crossman Ski Promo[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
    Ski your ass off and dont stop when you think you're tired. Keep going til' you fall.
    Agreed. This works for me!! Then at the end of the day, make sure you stretch out your quads!!!!!!! This is key, or they'll be tight as a 14 year-old virgin in the morning!

And besides, teleing is fucking hard work, and you should feel gassed after 10 groomer runs in early December. Dont' fret, just keep killing it!! You'll be prime soon enough.

And seconded on the bong hits. It'll help your muscles relax and keep you going all day... or, something like that...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

tele will always be a bit more work than alpine...but my guess is as a new tele skier you are probably pretty static in your stance and need to improve your technique. Try to avoid staying in one position too long or even at all, your stance height should be changing almost constantly. avoid being way spread out and generally as your technique improves it won't be nearly as physically taxing. But like scutski said www.telemarktips.com is probably more the site for beginner drill questions but you'll have to do some weeding.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

LD the video is the sickness.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

LET IT SNOW

You're a pussy, tele sucks.

Ride bike. squats & leg extensions at the gym. More skiing, even when it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    Then at the end of the day, make sure you stretch out your quads!!!!!!! This is key, or they'll be tight as a 14 year-old virgin in the morning!
    The only 14 year old I've had sex with was myself, but this is the truth. First day out this year, I was crippled for 3 days after. I skied until my quads cramped and knotted like fists, and then forgot to stretch. I was walking down stairs sideways.

free weight squats. lot's of em!

bong rips check

Im a pussy check: I think I have not been pushing through the fatigue enough most likely cuz i get sloppy and don't want to injure myself early season.

it is snowing now and will get after it this week with a fury and kick my ass into submission.

thanks for the words of advice

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    tele will always be a bit more work than alpine...but my guess is as a new tele skier you are probably pretty static in your stance and need to improve your technique. Try to avoid staying in one position too long or even at all, your stance height should be changing almost constantly. avoid being way spread out and generally as your technique improves it won't be nearly as physically taxing.
    I think this is prolly true as well I have been making big arcing turns and feel the burn when in the same position for a while. I will try to stay more active tomorrow and make more turns and stay in constant motion.

I also have a technique question. I have noticed that i keep my skis too close together and have been crossing tips and tails causing washouts.

When I spread my stance to shoulder width my rear ski gets squirrely. I think I just need to work on balancing weight through the transition of leads, but any ideas would be helpful.

Also if anyone is in Eagle county and would like to get out sometime let me know I promise I don't suck as much as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Really? That was my first thought when I watched this vid of the young Dylan Crossman. You suck, Schnapi! Don't be a buzz kill. You didn't like tele because you couldn't do it nor did ya have the strength to keep up with your bros on alpine gear. So who's the pussy? To answer the young chaps question - ski, ski, ski! Top to bottoms to the legs are gunna fall off and then do it some more! Bike and/or run in the off season and a focused weight program will help too. No matter what type of turns your mak'n your laugh'n or ya ain't doing it right.

YouTube- Dylan Crossman Ski Promo
    You like totally called me out.

One might imagine that someone:

from New Hampshire...
    AND
    who telemarks...

might have a sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post

YouTube- Dylan Crossman Ski Promo
    LOL

Yeah dude.

Quote Originally Posted by KaLiStO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Ski more.
    Doesn't that solve all of life's problems?
    That should have been the end of the thread right there.

stupid fucking question.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

When I spread my stance to shoulder width my rear ski gets squirrely.
    You need to put more weight on that rear, dropped-knee. That extra pressure will keep the ski from being squirrely and sliding around on you. When learning to tele, one always starts by doing their tele turns with 80% of the weight on the downhill ski. But once you get better, you'll be doing just under 50% on that downhill ski, and just over 50% on the bent-knee.

That technique, however, takes more strength, and thus you are stuck in a paradox!!!! Just keep skiing, keep getting stronger, and make lots of turns!!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I do these lunge jump things that mimic the tele turn. Do em till you get extremely tired/dizzy, rest, repeat 2X at least.

Skip all the excersize stuff, it's ski season. Like everybody else said, ski a lot. As your balance improves, you'll be using half the effort to get the same result. Off season, ride bikes, hard, and maybe do the other excersize stuff if you want. You'll carry fitness season to season, your form will get way more efficient, it will get easier.

Really? That was my first thought when I watched this vid of the young Dylan Crossman. You suck, Schnapi! Don't be a buzz kill. You didn't like tele because you couldn't do it nor did ya have the strength to keep up with your bros on alpine gear. So who's the pussy?
    A)You are an idiot.

B)Crossman doesn't tele anymore.