Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Heard Martin is retiring, at least from Crystal. That sucks.
    It does.

Joe, his deputy of the past few years at Crystal is awesome and is taking over the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Don't worry, Joe has been and will continue to do a great job at Crystal. Retirement party for Martin this coming Friday in the Bullwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    After seeing many boot fitters in the Seattle-area, Martin Rand is my favorite.

I used Mates exclusively for a number of years, but I grew tired of his attitude. So much ego, and he acted like it was my fault if his fix didn't solve my pain. He also isn't great at listening if you're having tricky boot pain and have already fixed all the stance things he likes to preach about. After he ruined a pair of my shells (ground too thin and couldn't punch any more but I had moved to the east coast for grad school and it had been too long between visits for him to admit fault) and a pair of my wife's shells (which he paid for but was very grumpy about), and we decided to take our business elsewhere. I know a few other people who have stopped seeing him as well. I'm still very pleased with the (unweighted) footbeds he made me almost a decade ago, though, and I would pay him for another pair if/when these ever wear out. And I learned a lot of stance when I first started seeing him, so I am appreciative of that.

I would absolutely not see Timmons again, especially for footbeds. My younger brother and jesski (now my wife) had footbeds made by him, and neither are useable. His footbeds are very thick, very rigid, and done weighted....by standing on some ancient pillows. jesski had another pair made elsewhere, but my brother can't afford it so he went back to superfeet. Timmons had a bad ego/attitude as well. He talked trash about Mates a number of times (I hung out once while he working on my brother's boots), which I thought was pretty unprofessional. My brother's boots never fit well, and he was so annoyed by Timmon's attitude he won't go back to see if Timmon's will fix them. YMMV.
    I know what you mean. But I didn't think Timmons had much of an attitude at all during my visits... in fact, it took a little prodding on my end to get him to tell me what I should buy (it was clear the boots I had on hand weren't working). He did notice the footbed that Mates made immediately - I guess these guys have their trademarks -- and we kept that in the new boots. And, like you said, he made the Langes I bought fit like a glove, which is a pretty new experience for me.

Mates, on the other hand, was kind of weird. A tons of question about balance and binding angle, etc. Made me feel like my technique was the main culprit of my boot pain, even though he never saw me ski and the pain was always there. Never once suggested that the boots were too big. So I'm glad I found Kelly.

I suppose all boot fitters must get weird staring at feet all day in their garage workshops. I'd probably sport an attitude or go postal myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post

I suppose all boot fitters must get weird staring at feet all day in their garage workshops.
    I resent that. I work in a basement.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

another vote for Joe Henderson at Crystal. he's the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

+1 for Joe Henderson.

Kelly Timmons, Dr Happy Feet in Wallingford. Fit boots for Picaboo Street and other World Cup racers, he is THE best and I've tried many. Sturtevants is weak sauce compared.

Any updates for 2018?

I just moved to the area. I'm living in Bellevue and will be skiing Steve's Pass this winter. I'm finally ready to buy new boots. Getting a good fit has always been a challenge for me. Which boot fitters would you most recommend in the Seattle area these days?

Quote Originally Posted by rourkem View Post
    I just moved to the area. I'm living in Bellevue and will be skiing Steve's Pass this winter. I'm finally ready to buy new boots. Getting a good fit has always been a challenge for me. Which boot fitters would you most recommend in the Seattle area these days?
    Go to Evo, a couple mags work there, they have a great selection and good staff.

Does anyone know if the experienced boot fitters stuck around at Sturtevant's after Christy Sports took over? I had some good experience with Brant in the recent past.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Does anyone know if the experienced boot fitters stuck around at Sturtevant's after Christy Sports took over?
    Last time I saw him, Eric Roose was still working at Sturtevant's. Eric worked at Marmot Mountain Works for years until Lock close it down, then Eric went to Sturtevant's. Eric gets widespread high praises as a bootfitter. Good guy too.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    My wife is getting new gear for her birthday this year, first stop is Evo for boots. I see above some mags work there. What's the best way to line up a great boot fitter accustomed to dealing with somewhat tricky feet (bunions)? I also see Evo have an add-on service for follow-on fits/tweaks and a custom liner. Sounds like a good deal for problematic feet? Lastly, I'm hoping the Fremont store stocks a decent selection of touring/hybrid boots. My plan is to come in on a Sat afternoon, walk out after a few hours with a new pair of great fitting boots, and go get drinks/dinner. Gotta make the trips in the "big city" count. thanks!

Mags can look up Thing #1 at evo. Ask for Philip. He's there most days except wed/thurs. He'll tell you who to talk to about boot fitting.

They have a good selection. If you want to do this in a few hours go asap, when ski season hits the boot fitters have a multi hour line.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    My wife is getting new gear for her birthday this year, first stop is Evo for boots. I see above some mags work there. What's the best way to line up a great boot fitter accustomed to dealing with somewhat tricky feet (bunions)? I also see Evo have an add-on service for follow-on fits/tweaks and a custom liner. Sounds like a good deal for problematic feet? Lastly, I'm hoping the Fremont store stocks a decent selection of touring/hybrid boots. My plan is to come in on a Sat afternoon, walk out after a few hours with a new pair of great fitting boots, and go get drinks/dinner. Gotta make the trips in the "big city" count. thanks!

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Mags can look up Thing #1 at evo. Ask for Philip. He's there most days except wed/thurs. He'll tell you who to talk to about boot fitting.
    Thanks Oftpiste! Thing#1? Is he the nice better bootfitter to his twin brother Thing #2? I'll call Philip and set something up thanks. I've already been told they don't do appointments but knowing someone he recos who will be working the day we show up would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    They have a good selection. If you want to do this in a few hours go asap, when ski season hits the boot fitters have a multi hour line.
    thanks Carlh. yeah, I hear you. Biting my nails over this. We've got a sat afternoon carved out in a couple weeks to get er done. Best we can do with busy schedules. I'll plan for a lot of time as you suggest. Soooo looking forward to finally doing a pair of boots 'right'. I've finally learned my lesson from many many failed 'buy at great discount online guess the fit' only to fret with years of crap compromise fits.

My plan is to come in on a Sat afternoon, walk out after a few hours with a new pair of great fitting boots, and go get drinks/dinner.
    I would recommend any day but Saturday, there is already a healthy waiting list unless it happens to be during a Husky game.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Last time I saw him, Eric Roose was still working at Sturtevant's
    Brandt and Eric are still there.

I will forever be indebted to Kelly "Happy Feet" Timmons... I have very problematic feet and was resigned to pretty much give up on skiing regularly, having had uber-painful boots (despite paying pro fitters) for years.

Kelly is old school - he likes Langes because he knows how to manipulate them. He measured me up and told me to buy a certain boot (Lange 130s) in a certain size at the cheapest place I could find online or offline (turned out Evo's outlet was blowing through some) and then bring them to him in his tiny garage before I even try them on. I did just that, he worked his magic and I've had three of my best, pain-free seasons ever thanks to him. I'm embarrassed at how much I spent on other fitters/boots before Kelly... with little results.

So I'm a huge fan. And will prob. stockpile a few more boots for him to tweak before he retires (hopefully that won't happen any time soon).

I do buy a ton from Evo every season and spend a ton of time at ATS downstairs but I never really love my experience with any of the Evo employees. Everyone always seems too busy/rushed or too cool to chat about gear. But it's great when I know what I want. But that's just me.

Thanks Oftpiste! Thing#1? Is he the nice better bootfitter to his twin brother Thing #2? I'll call Philip and set something up thanks. I've already been told they don't do appointments but knowing someone he recos who will be working the day we show up would be great.

thanks Carlh. yeah, I hear you. Biting my nails over this. We've got a sat afternoon carved out in a couple weeks to get er done. Best we can do with busy schedules. I'll plan for a lot of time as you suggest. Soooo looking forward to finally doing a pair of boots 'right'. I've finally learned my lesson from many many failed 'buy at great discount online guess the fit' only to fret with years of crap compromise fits.
    Don't go on Saturday. Take a midweek day and go if you think you'll be a multiple hour boot fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Don't go on Saturday. Take a midweek day and go if you think you'll be a multiple hour boot fit.
    This.

And no, #1 is not #2's boot fitter currently (not twins either of course), though it could happen. Things #2 and #3's (and mine too) boot fitter has relocated from mount dweebus to Schweitzer which is a real bummer (not for him!). #2 currently tying to assess if boot spancer will require new boots or if he can continue to use the ones he spent most of last last season getting right.

Quote Originally Posted by rourkem View Post
    Like others said, Mates is great, if you're willing to be humble and accept his advice. From my experience, he will blame you if the fix doesn't fix things, but (at least in my case) I'm inclined to think I'm probably to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    Like others said, Mates is great, if you're willing to be humble and accept his advice. From my experience, he will blame you if the fix doesn't fix things, but (at least in my case) I'm inclined to think I'm probably to blame.
    I know lots of people who have had more problems caused by Mates than solved.

Firsthand I have had great luck with Evo.

I also know lots of people that are pleased with Happy Feet (Kelly Timmons).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I would recommend any day but Saturday, there is already a healthy waiting list unless it happens to be during a Husky game.
    Greg, I would love to see an online boot fitting sign up. I need to come in with my evo outlet special k2s for a punch and time is tight with daddy duty. I might just shoot for the husky game option.

Greg, I would love to see an online boot fitting sign up. I need to come in with my evo outlet special k2s for a punch and time is tight with daddy duty. I might just shoot for the husky game option.
    It’s in the works.

I might just shoot for the husky game option.
    Away game at Oregon this week, 12:30 PM kickoff.