Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seattle Area Boot Fitter?

Yes, I searched and found one thread from 5 years ago with a few responses.

Don't know how things may have changed since then or whether anyone has any new/better/other experiences/ideas to share, so asking again.

Who would you recommend for boot fitting in the greater Seattle area? I need to get my Dynafit touring boots worked on.

Thanks!
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I'm a fan of Martin at the Bellevue Sturtevant's. He tours too, so knows the AT gear.

Call Evo and ask for Tom(the manager). If he is there, talk to him about who the best bootfitter or two are that are going to be working soon, and ask him to set you up an appointment with them. I've had good luck with them before(can't remember who it was though..). I bought my last pair of boot(Solly Falcon CS Pros) there and they gave me a great price, and I also have a free year of bootfitting apparently.

Yo Will, wazzup? If we don't get some snow let's get likkered up at B's place.

"Reverend" Jim Mates on the east slope of Phinney Ridge is the man fer ski boots.

Another fan of martin for touring gear.
    for non touring gear either Joe or Rick at sturts.

As a rule, I'd head for Gerk's in Redmond. Not only sensible boot fitters with a well equipped boot shop, but they also have a couple touring types in the shop.

That said, I like Evo in general. And if I needed Intuitions molded - I think Martin & company at Sturtevants are still the galactic record holders for the number of Intuitions they've done.

Martin did my alpy setup which works like a dream. I'm now going to him for AT boots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    "Reverend" Jim Mates on the east slope of Phinney Ridge is the man fer ski boots.
    /thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

bump..

aside from Jim Mates, anyone have any recs now that Martin Rand @ xtal for in town in Seattle?

Rick at Sturtevants appears to have "taken over" for Martin there...I've just never gone to/heard of him (probably my bad)...any experiences?

Rick at Sturtevants is very good. They have great boot fitting equipment in that store and can perform miracles if you are trying to make a boot that doesn't really fit the shape of your foot work.

If you want to go more grass roots, try Kelly Timmons in Wallingford. Kelly used to be the World Cup service technician for Lange back in the day. He knows ski boots and feet as well as anyone. Great guy and a passionate skier. I think his phone is still: (206) 547-7879

Martin Rand got fired? Good Riddance
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Martin Rand got fired? Good Riddance
    Goodness, no. Crystal just offered to give him his own shop and he left...for working on the mountain.

The ski school got to give up some of their already limited space. Martin now occupies the area that was once the ski school sales desk/check in area.

Another vote for Evo. No idea of the name of the guy that helped me out, but my boots feel great. I always had foot pain in every ski boot I have ever owned... Evo set me up in some Solomon ghosts and some custom food beds and my feet are incredibly happy. They spent a long time with me and did a bunch of grinding even though they were not going to make much off the sale (was there visiting a friend who has worked at evo for quite a while... paid like $425ish total including their top of the line foot beds). They have a pretty big selection of popular alpine boots in the Fremont store (no AT, well except the Salomon quest).

I can find out the name of the boot fitter that I worked with if you want it... but like SP_Sam-O said it may be easier to just call the shop manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    Goodness, no. Crystal just offered to give him his own shop and he left...for working on the mountain.

The ski school got to give up some of their already limited space. Martin now occupies the area that was once the ski school sales desk/check in area.
    Heh I don´t know who deserves martin more, crystal or sturts. He seems like a perfect fit for both.

i love me some EVO and make the bulk of my local purchases there but i wouldn't recommend that you have them bake your intuitions.

Bummer about that--more art than science I guess. Who was it?

I just bought a pair of Solly CF Falcon Pros at EVo and Tom did the fitting. He spent ~ 3 hours with me trying different boots then getting the Sollys dialed in. I've been to Jim Mates, Pro Ski (Adam), Sturtevants (don't recall who) and a couple of the guys at Fanatyko in Whiz who come highly recommended and Tom was at least as good as any of them IMHO.
    "A witty saying proves nothing."

Tom def knows his shit. Just bad timing on my part. Came in midweek hoping to avoid crowds. They got busy and Tom had one of the new guys helping me out. His name escapes me but he's new to the PNW and came from Vail. Solid and nice guy just didn't get the impression he'd baked many before. Ended up with some creases in the heels and a slightly deformed footbed. Both were fairly easily fixed at home with the heat gun and the price was certainly right.

Heh I don´t know who deserves martin more, crystal or sturts. He seems like a perfect fit for both.
    Stop cunting this thread
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Quote Originally Posted by Shin-to-Win View Post
    Stop cunting this thread
    I´m not. I´ve contributed more to this thread than you have over the last year. (1 recommendation and 1 recommendation against)

So please shut the fuck up and stop cunting this thread with posts like the above.

At least all my posts have been on topic.

Back on topic.

I´ve had 2 minor grinds done by world cup skier service in bellevue as well, great guys and good prices plus they seemed to know what they were doing. I think the total for the 2 was less than $30

Recently had some work done by Rick at sturts. Guy knows his shit, and did great work. Would definatly recommend him.

I also made the mistake of going to Marmot for a heat mold of my Titans. I figured they sell them so they would know best. They got the job done eventually, but didnt inspire confidence.

I´m not. I´ve contributed more to this thread than you have over the last year. (1 recommendation and 1 recommendation against)
    Quality vs Quantity. I'll let my past contributions to this community over the years stand on their own.

Back on topic.

I´ve had 2 minor grinds done by world cup skier service in bellevue as well, great guys and good prices plus they seemed to know what they were doing. I think the total for the 2 was less than $30
    So you bash (without any backstory) a very well know bootfitter who has hooked up skiers in the area for years, then "contribute" about your experience on a couple of grinds at World Cup?

I'm a big fan of World Cup too, but it just may be possible that there are more than a few good choices for boot fitting in the greater metro area. There ARE folks who do not feel the same way you do about WC though.

Martin did 5 or 6 free sessions on my boots trying to make them work before pointing me toward intuitions. He's busy, it sucks waiting around for help there, but he's a stand up guy and knows his shit.

Martin did 5 or 6 free sessions on my boots trying to make them work before pointing me toward intuitions. He's busy, it sucks waiting around for help there, but he's a stand up guy and knows his shit.
    Did you buy your boots there? If you did they weren´t ¨free sessions¨ they were part of your purchase.

So he had to try 5 or 6 times to get it right before giving up and selling you something to make up for his inadequacies and probably fill an over punched shell. Thats a story thats not just familiar to me but loads of skiers.

Persistence does not = talent.

Don't assume you know everything about me or my situation, dickhead. I can't believe I'm feeding your drivel, but here goes.

Yes, I bought them there and, yes, bootfitting comes with purchase. The truth is that I bought the wrong boot sight unseen because the local rep I know "hooked me up" with a race form deal through Sturts. Totally not their fault, but they didn't bitch about trying to correct it.

Look, I'm not MR's #1 fan, but your un-supported rants against him struck a chord. You're trying to tarnish a specific, well respected professional's reputation using this board. That's bullshit in my opinion.

If you have specific details about specific personal experience getting your boots fitted by MR, then post them up. If you are a fellow pro bootfitter, let us know your name so we can solicit feedback on you. Maybe there's a douchebag out there who's been dying to throw you under the bus in front of the world.

GTFO of this thread if you have nothing meaningful to add to the OP's question beyond: "WC ground my boots twice for $30 and it worked out OK . . .and oh yeah . .. MR sucks!! . . and Crystal too!!"

Don't assume you know everything about me or my situation, dickhead. I can't believe I'm feeding your drivel, but here goes.

Yes, I bought them there and, yes, bootfitting comes with purchase. The truth is that I bought the wrong boot sight unseen because the local rep I know "hooked me up" with a race form deal through Sturts. Totally not their fault, but they didn't bitch about trying to correct it.

Look, I'm not MR's #1 fan, but your un-supported rants against him struck a chord. You're trying to tarnish a specific, well respected professional's reputation using this board. That's bullshit in my opinion.

If you have specific details about specific personal experience getting your boots fitted by MR, then post them up. If you are a fellow pro bootfitter, let us know your name so we can solicit feedback on you. Maybe there's a douchebag out there who's been dying to throw you under the bus in front of the world.

GTFO of this thread if you have nothing meaningful to add to the OP's question beyond: "WC ground my boots twice for $30 and it worked out OK . . .and oh yeah . .. MR sucks!! . . and Crystal too!!"
    I also threw props to Jim Mates, and here I´ll give major props to a short stocky guy who used to work at sturts, cant remember his name but in addition to knowing his shit is a pretty cool dude too.

Tom at evo did my FT Seths last year, probably the best fit I have ever had. Taking my sister there this next monday to get her set up with some new boots.