Page 46 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1933
    I'm at my cottage sitting in front of a fire drinking Eagle Rare bourbon. I'm a scotch man, but I do like a good bourbon when I'm at my cottage for bird hunting.

It's too bad Eagle Rare stopped doing single barrel bottling. The taste has changed since they made the change though I sent know if that is the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Slopetime View Post
    I'm always interested what scotch drinkers think of bourbons. How about a post drink review.
    As a scotch drinker bourbons tend to be sweeter on my palette than scotches. Lately I've also started enjoying more pleated scotch which I can't find that kind of flavor in bourbon.

Recently I've been getting into Irish whiskeys. I can still get the pleated flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Slopetime View Post
    I'm always interested what scotch drinkers think of bourbons. How about a post drink review.
    I really liked it. I’ll definitely buy it again as opportunities arise. As I mentioned above, I’m a lot more discriminating when it comes to Scotch. I figure it’s something about the corn and wood that overwhelms my palate. With Scotch I definitely pick up on the oil note I’d Caol Ila or the grass note of a Rosebank. with bourbon it’s a lot more binary.

So since there are quite a few bourbons I like at the <$50 price point, I don’t chase the more exclusive bottles. Offhand, I’ve liked Four Roses Single Barrel and EH Taylor small batch. I usually keep some Elijah Craig on hand for cocktails. Blanton’s didn’t do a lot for me, nor did Willett’s. Not being wild about Willett’s made me wonder if I’d like Weller that much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’d be curious to try Balcones sometime since the distiller who put them on the map was on my freshman hall in college and it’s hard to square the Chip I remember with the hard-ass, gun-toting guy described in articles. But now if I’m going to spend $80 on a bottle, it’s coming from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    As a scotch drinker bourbons tend to be sweeter on my palette than scotches. Lately I've also started enjoying more pleated scotch which I can't find that kind of flavor in bourbon.

Recently I've been getting into Irish whiskeys. I can still get the pleated flavor.
    Same for me- bourbon tastes much sweeter. I like pretty much any Scotch, but Islay malts are always at the top of my list. Bowmore 12 tastes to me like the ideal whisky, but I probably drink more Laphroig and Lagavulin to really get my fix on the big smoke, peat, and maritime flavors. Plus Lagavulin is my GF’s favorite.

Irish does nothing for me. I’ve tried Red Breast and some special sample bottles that a whiskey geek friend sent me, but I’d just rather have something with more going on.

The most recent bottles I got to taste that really impressed were William Larue Weller from last year's BTAC and Booker's Rye. The Rye was especially impresive when I was told that it's right below 135 proof. For my palate, I would have guessed somewhere in the 90's.

Montana is tricky to get truly interesting bottles. A friend recently picked up the new Parker's Heritage finished in curaçao and EH barrel proof. The EH was meh, I haven't tried the Parker's yet.

I've found that I don't really enjoy bourbon/rye neat until I get into ludicrously priced bottles. For my money, Blanton's is best in an Old Fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    The most recent bottles I got to taste that really impressed were William Larue Weller from last year's BTAC and Booker's Rye. The Rye was especially impresive when I was told that it's right below 135 proof. For my palate, I would have guessed somewhere in the 90's..
    Yeah, if those bottles don’t really impress you then that would impress me, in an odd way.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Yeah, if those bottles don’t really impress you then that would impress me, in an odd way.
    Right?

Perhaps I'm overstimulated but I haven't found much in the $60-astronomical price range that I really enjoy. I'll keep sipping Pikesville Manhattans and Rittenhouse Boulevardier and call it good. It's like I enjoy a certain mash bill..

Anyone barrel age their own cocktails/ bourbon? Looking for a small barrel like this.

3 Liter American Oak Aging Barrel | Handcrafted using American White Oak | Age your own Whiskey, Beer, Wine, Bourbon, Rum, Tequila & More. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014BRXUOU..._1pi3BbEGXFC07

Some people think a varnish on the outside is sacrilege but most manufacturers varnish. Do I need unvarnished?

I haven't used barrels, but I've had some oak spirals around from homebrewing beer that I've tossed into low-grade whiskey. Made a bit of a difference.

Where I really saw a difference was in homemade liquor infusion/combinations. Cherry Bounce is good, but oak-aged cherry bounce is amazing.

A good friend barrel aged some Manhattans. They were fantastic. Super smooth.

We also regularly use a 2-liter barrel to age Manhattans... as said directly above, results are always good to very good. Elevates cheap ingredients and skyrockets good ones. Well worth doing, imho.

I drank 1/2 a 1/5 of Burnside last night. It did the trick.

Had a family member try aging alcohol in one of those barrels. I don't remember 2hat she made, but base was bulleit bourbon.

Depending on where you age the alcohol and at what temp. You may lose a lot of it to absorption and evaporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Had a family member try aging alcohol in one of those barrels. I don't remember 2hat she made, but base was bulleit bourbon.

Depending on where you age the alcohol and at what temp. You may lose a lot of it to absorption and evaporation.
    I lose a lot of good bourbon by absorption..... just sayin'
    Last edited by Slopetime; 11-03-2018 at 09:58 AM.

For people in the wasatch who are interested in High West: Yesterday, H.W. released a limited edition Rendezvous Rye. It is aged an additional 4 years. If you like R.R., you will love this limited edition. Very smooth. 114 proof, and offered at $79.99. Available in P.C. and Oakley. 2 bottle limit per customer.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The finest bourbon I have tasted. Yet.

Well I got a 3 liter and have some manhattans going. Will report on how it goes. Left the bitters out of this first batch on the recommendation from some people online. So much conflicting advice out there though.
    Last edited by neufox47; 11-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Bottle I let sit for a few months got a dark cloudy sediment. Possibly char from the barrel they aged it in IDK. Juice was good but I can do without the black stuff in the bottom of my bottle. Think they still have a tasting room in Woodburn if they're your thing though.

In any case I like the OGD better so I picked up a bottle of the 114 yesterday. Still good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I drank 1/2 a 1/5 of Burnside last night. It did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Well I got a 3 liter and have some manhattans going. Will report on how it goes. Left the bitters out of this first batch on the recommendation from some people online. So much conflicting advice out there though.
    That’s the way my great uncle always made them.

I had some Whistlepig 15 at a friend’s this weekend. That was impressive. Strong sweetness up front smoothly transitioning to a very spicy aftertaste. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    A good friend barrel aged some Manhattans. They were fantastic. Super smooth.
    My neighbor does this and has a batch in barrel for our Thanksgiving dinner.

On Manhattan subject; I'm a tequila consumer but been making more manhattans as of late. Don't know much about rye / bourbon but what are some of the recommended spirits? I've been using Bulleit Straight Rye. ~$25. As w/my tequila, I wont use an anejo or clase azul for a margarita; assuming same logic for a manhattan.

My brother is big on the Manhattan and bulleit seems to be his go to but Rittenhouse is another good rye. Personally I like the Old Overholt just fine but some people (like my brother) turn their nose up at the 80 proof and say it gets too watered down. I think it holds up fine but I just noticed that the OLCC started carrying a bonded version so I'll probably give that a try next.
    Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    My neighbor does this and has a batch in barrel for our Thanksgiving dinner.

On Manhattan subject; I'm a tequila consumer but been making more manhattans as of late. Don't know much about rye / bourbon but what are some of the recommended spirits? I've been using Bulleit Straight Rye. ~$25. As w/my tequila, I wont use an anejo or clase azul for a margarita; assuming same logic for a manhattan.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the best affordable bourbon for a Manhattan is old granddad 114. High rye in the grain bill, 114 proof, and a nice coarse finish makes it ideal for balancing out a healthy dose of sweet vermouth. If ya haven't, ya should. Soon...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Rendezvous Rye Perfect Manhattan

2ish oz. Rye
    1/2 oz sweet vermouth
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    1 dash of bitters
    lemon peel

This is my go to drink.

Perfect Canadian Manhattan (substitute Canadian Club for Rendezvous Rye) is also tasty
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again, the best affordable bourbon for a Manhattan is old granddad 114. High rye in the grain bill, 114 proof, and a nice coarse finish makes it ideal for balancing out a healthy dose of sweet vermouth. If ya haven't, ya should. Soon...
    Gonna have to try that. Extra proof never hurt anyone.

Dont do Manhattans too often but the OGD 114 has made it's way into the rotation after the advice here(and because bookers $$$). Imo perfectly good over a big cube. Been considering stocking up in case it jumps up like everything else.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181019_230951.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	254199

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

If you can find it. Old Ezra 7 Barrel Proof is pretty fucking nice.
    Training for Alpental

Yea OGD114 has become a staple. Used to get for ~$20, now seems to be ~$27-28.

Opened up a Blanton’s I’d been sitting on for a bit this weekend. Still a fan.