Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1924
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Yep it’s pretty decent—I have a couple of em from different stores. Happy to send a sample.

The biggest bummer has been that the four roses private selections have gone way down in age—I still have some 10+ yr bottles stashed but everything I see now is 8-9 years. The current open two are both 11yrs and change and are wonderful.
    4 Roses private selections are my absolute favorites, I am down to my last 10+ year old unopened bottle.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Just checked and the only single barrel we did with 4 roses was back in 2014 and it was a 10yo oesk (high rye grain bill) bottled at 111.8%. I just took a swig out the bottle and it's good.

That reminds me, that's the only thing I don't like about the 12yo Elijah barrel proof. The mouth of the bottle is not conducive to talking casual swigs off it cuz it's got that big ole flared lip like bubba in Forest Gump. How many times have I dribbled 130* whiskey down my chin while trying to get a hasty pull off one of those bastards?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

You might be an alcoholic .... NTTAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Just checked and the only single barrel we did with 4 roses was back in 2014 and it was a 10yo oesk (high rye grain bill) bottled at 111.8%. I just took a swig out the bottle and it's good.

That reminds me, that's the only thing I don't like about the 12yo Elijah barrel proof. The mouth of the bottle is not conducive to talking casual swigs off it cuz it's got that big ole flared lip like bubba in Forest Gump. How many times have I dribbled 130* whiskey down my chin while trying to get a hasty pull off one of those bastards?
    Maybe it was designed that way on purpose?

Anyone tried the Sweetens Cove? Sounds intriguing. Peyton Manning's new bourbon.
    So is the golf course it is named after. Golfer's do a shot before their round, bring a bottle from somewhere else and leave the rest of the bottle for the next group. $25-9 hole rounds.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peyt...100000210.html

The odds of me ever buying a celebrity’s bourbon named after a golf course are vanishingly low.

Apparently it's sourced from 13yo George Dickel barrels at full proof (102). Dickel sells their 13yr BiB 100-proof for $40ish (retail). I'm guessing it will be a notch up but likely fairly similar.

With stay at home, I'm drinking better and far cheaper than I would at the bar. Put a dent in my stash though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Apparently it's sourced from 13yo George Dickel barrels at full proof (102). Dickel sells their 13yr BiB 100-proof for $40ish (retail). I'm guessing it will be a notch up but likely fairly similar.
    Bourbon Twitter was on it today around an Esquire article. $200 for a bottling from Dickel BIB reject barrels was the most common take.

I picked up Four Roses Single Barrel last night. I've had this bourbon before and remember that is spicier to my palate than the small batch. I wish it was bottle at a little higher proof than 100. Four Roses was the first bourbon I remember enjoying when I was first getting into whisk(e)y.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I picked up Four Roses Single Barrel last night. I've had this bourbon before and remember that is spicier to my palate than the small batch. I wish it was bottle at a little higher proof than 100. Four Roses was the first bourbon I remember enjoying when I was first getting into whisk(e)y.
    they do a couple barrel strength releases that will be around 114 proof, keep an eye out for them.

and while 4 roses is one of the more consistent SB offerings (henry mckenna SB BiB 10 year is wildly inconsistent IMO), i've had bottles of 4roses that knocked my socks off, and others that tasted like nail polish and sadness.

I just finished a bottle of Jefferson Ocean. Better than Blanton's, but $80 is expensive. For the money, I like Eagle Rare as an everyday bourbon.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I prefer Blanton's over Jefferson Ocean, but both are very good. I've also had Blanton's straight from the barrel and that is much better than both. Eagle Rare is also my go to for an everyday bourbon if I'm not pouring a scotch.

Same. Jefferson's Ocean is easier to find around here. But I think there are plenty of good/better options at half the cost.

Just cracked our Midwinters Dram. Never had it before. Pretty tasty. Not my favorite but tasty. It was a lottery pick up last year. We've been getting into some of our save for special occasion bottles lately. Told my better half I don't want to be laying in a hospital bed on a ventilator thinking about the bourbon I didn't drink. She bought the line.

Me too. I have just about depleted my reserves, mainly because I don't want to go to a liquor store. Pretty soon, I have to start drinking vodka and gin, because I will be out of colored spirits. Yuk!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I don't want to be laying in a hospital bed on a ventilator thinking about the bourbon I didn't drink.
    Same here. I’ve been cracking open some of the ‘special’ bottles (including some Midwinter Night’s Dram) for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Same here. I’ve been cracking open some of the ‘special’ bottles (including some Midwinter Night’s Dram) for the same reason.
    I’ll get on board, we drank the last of our Pappy 15 this week on a Tuesday night just because we could. It was warm and quiet outside and I’ll remember those pours for a long time.
    I still call it The Jake.

PvW 15 is pretty much “the finest bourbon I have tasted” ever.

Yup- My saying has been “uncertain times: drink the good whisky first.” I’ve been chipping away at my better scotches and a CEHT. I haven’t been in the liquor store since before the lockdown. I’m out of WT101 for cocktails, but I have an IW Harper and a Four Roses small batch to use up before I make a run.

I don't have any unopened bottles except for duplicates. I pretty much open every one of them when I get em home and take a nice pull right off the bottle just to get a feel for em, ya know?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Over the holiday weekend I got to try a pour of Little Book bourbon. That is a fine whiskey with plenty of punch. It tastes like an high proof Weller 107 or full proof to me and Weller is my favorite bourbon of the ones I have tasted yet. I've realized that my palate prefers wheated bourbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200523_203629.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	329810

i'm also a big fan of wheaties, and for the longest time OWA 107 was my #1 pick. move over OWA, weller 12 is the new reigning king. might be the best bourbon i've ever had.

if you like wheaties though check out larceny. it's a little underproofed at 90, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

i'm also a big fan of wheaties, and for the longest time OWA 107 was my #1 pick. move over OWA, weller 12 is the new reigning king. might be the best bourbon i've ever had.

if you like wheaties though check out larceny. it's a little underproofed at 90, but still thoroughly enjoyable.
    Have you tried mixing the two (60/40 OWA/W12) a.k.a. poor man's pappy? I found that to be better than either on their own when doing a side-by-side taste test.

Anyone on the front range interested in ECBP, EHT small batch, a bookers, stagg jr, hancocks reserve, Saz rye, other goodies shoot me a PM and I can get an accurate list together....I accumulated a good stash over the past few years and don’t really need it all. Have been selling off some bottles to friends. What I paid not marked up.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Have you tried mixing the two (60/40 OWA/W12) a.k.a. poor man's pappy? I found that to be better than either on their own when doing a side-by-side taste test.
    actually i just tried that, and yeah, it's pretty amazing. i agree. best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes
    Anyone on the front range interested in ECBP, EHT small batch, a bookers, stagg jr, hancocks reserve, Saz rye, other goodies shoot me a PM and I can get an accurate list together....I accumulated a good stash over the past few years and don’t really need it all. Have been selling off some bottles to friends. What I paid not marked up.
    i hit stapes up - very very interested. also, i just ordered a bunch of 100ml brown glass bottles, so i'm happy to send out samples of any bottles i buy from stapes to other mags. sharing is caring.