Page 57 of 78 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1933
    Holy crap. There are benefits to living in a control state. My W12 cost $35 a couple years ago and I paid the new inflated price of $49 last year for the OWA. If I pay that much for a bottle, it’s coming from Scotland.

Tonights:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5884.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	546.2 KB 
ID:	343977  

I did a bourbon tasting this past weekend and my favorite of the bourbons I tried was Larceny full proof. I have the 92 proof Larceny and think it is pretty good as I'm a big fan of wheated bourbons so the full proof didn't taste muted like the 92 proof. also tried Elijah Craig barrel proof. At 132.4 proof it was too hot for my pallet to get the flavors. I can tell there are so decent flavors at that strength, but the burn took over the finish for me. This is one whiskey where I would add a little water if I was to drink it regularly.

I also tried Wild Turkey Rare Breed 8 yr old and then 11 yr old. The two were similar, but the 11 yr old had a richer or more full flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Tonights:
    Willett! I've always been very curious about that bottle. How was it? Looks amazing.

Never get any willet that old at the shop, only the young ryes and the pot still.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The gouging is going strong in CO.

Asked about Weller at a LLS and the guy pulled out a liter of Special Reserce and said I could have it. Didn't know the price, was pleased when it rang up for $45. Went to a different store today and they had 3 750ml bottles of the same priced at $90. WTF?!

Should we start another thread for most outrageous gouging prices?

I asked about Weller the other day and a shop and was told it was now in the category of "allocated" bottles, not regular stock.

My local got 3 cases of WSR yesterday. They told me about it when I was in Monday night, so I wandered in around 11 figuring I’d buy one for giggles. It was all gone. Whatever. I much prefer the 12 year or OWA, and I’m not rescheduling my day for WSR. I mentioned that to a buddy of mine who lives in VA and he texted me a picture he found on Reddit of someone in NY bragging about buying WSR for $100. WTF.

I still have about half a Weller 12. I bought two a couple years ago when they got some in. It’s a fantastic $35 bottle. Too bad those days are gone.

I’m just stunned by the Weller SR pricing. It seems like just yesterday I could get a handle for <$45. Now I’m seeing fifths for $100.

Looks like my dream of getting a bottle of Weller Full Proof at a non-gouge price will remain just a dream.

Dang. All this Weller talk. I never quite found it that good. Buddy introduced me to it prob 10-12 yrs ago. It was dirt cheap in big sky/Bozeman.

I am getting slightly annoyed that I cant find a decent source of OGD 114 at the locals. Anyone have a good online source?

Also tried the Willett pot still and found it pretty decent.

Still havent been in the pappy range yet. Any other high proof suggestions? Y'all steered me right last time. Old go to was bookers, was loving OGD114, and usually try new stuff anywhere from $20 to $90 a bottle.

Which Weller is the green/gold label?

I had a handle of that in Montana that a friend left. It was excellent. I've since been unable to find, likely for the aforementioned reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Dang. All this Weller talk. I never quite found it that good. Buddy introduced me to it prob 10-12 yrs ago. It was dirt cheap in big sky/Bozeman.

I am getting slightly annoyed that I cant find a decent source of OGD 114 at the locals. Anyone have a good online source?

Still havent been in the pappy range yet. Any other high proof suggestions? Y'all steered me right last time. Old go to was bookers, was loving OGD114, and usually try new stuff anywhere from $20 to $90 a bottle.
    Not sure what’s local to you, but I’ve seen OGD114 every time I’ve been in Belgrade Liquors. Granted I haven’t been there since February.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Which Weller is the green/gold label?

I had a handle of that in Montana that a friend left. It was excellent. I've since been unable to find, likely for the aforementioned reasons...
    That’s Weller Special Reserve, the “budget” expression.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve - 120 proof. Usually around $50. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof if you can find it for retail. Maker’s Mark Cask Strength. Wild a Turkey 101 and Rare Breed.

Any other high proof suggestions? Y'all steered me right last time. Old go to was bookers, was loving OGD114, and usually try new stuff anywhere from $20 to $90 a bottle.
    What I’ve been told is the Japanese market is taking all the Booker’s and driving the price increase. At least that’s what my buddy in NYC heard from his shop.

I really like 1792’s barrel proof. The Barton bourbons just hit the sweet spot for me. I have a Maker’s cask strength that I’ll probably crack tonight. Knob is a good suggestion, as is Elijah Craig. Jack Daniels single barrel is fantastic but I haven’t been able to find the cask strength expression here yet.

Thanks guys. I used to be able to find OGD114 when I lived in Bozeman. Usually grabbing booze from anaconda or Missoula now. Might just have to stock up next time I'm back overthat way. Knob ck makes it's way into the rotation and used to be my go to backpacking bourbon. Have the rye on the shelf now for old fashioneds. Like barton's as well as Elijah(dont think I've had the barrel proof). Recently had the rare breed and thought it was good but not great. I've been curious about the Jefferson ocean iterations but yet to try any. Have looked at the 1792 but dont think I've tried it. Lemme know if the makers cask is noticeably different then regular as I'm not really a makers fan.

I thought it was some shortage/loss that caused the jump for booker's but have no idea.

I'll have to grab some new shit to try tonight on my way to the hot springs.

Also writing this out makes me realize I'm kinda picky but hey ya like what ya like I guess.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve - 120 proof is much more interesting, flavorful, and higher proof, than regular KC. Same for the MM Cask Strength, and EC Barrel Proof compared to their regular mass expressions.

I’ve never been that impressed with Maker’s standard bourbon, and I’ll admit to a little snottiness there. If someone has a bar stocked with vodka, rum, and a dozen+ different liqueurs, chances are their one nicer bottle of bourbon is Makers or Basil Hayden, because it’s “smooth.” It’s a gateway bourbon.

But the cask strength Maker’s is really nice. I’ll be a repeat buyer. I’d like to try the barrel proof Elijah Craig, but it’s a bit spendy. Once I’m over $60, I’m usually buying Scotch.

Gonna do a little sampling..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201114_152759.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	347938

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’ve never been that impressed with Maker’s standard bourbon, and I’ll admit to a little snottiness there. If someone has a bar stocked with vodka, rum, and a dozen+ different liqueurs, chances are their one nicer bottle of bourbon is Makers or Basil Hayden, because it’s “smooth.” It’s a gateway bourbon.

But the cask strength Maker’s is really nice. I’ll be a repeat buyer. I’d like to try the barrel proof Elijah Craig, but it’s a bit spendy. Once I’m over $60, I’m usually buying Scotch.
    I agree with all of this except that the EC is worth the money. Try it. You won’t regret it.

I've had good luck with Stagg Jr. It changes every year, but at $49.99 you really can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Powder Ho; 11-15-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ^^^ Sho nuff! Needs a bottle or three of 12y tho!

Been hearing some rumblings about getting a barrel of full proof this winter. Damned dirty covid kept them from sending samples to choose from but they said they'll find us a peach...
    Hey would you let me know if this barrell come around?

Never tried stagg jr. I was pleasantly surprised with the jack single barrel select but I really enjoyed the high west. The high west stands alone really well with just a big cube.

I've got a couple bottles of EC barrel proof I'm waiting to open. I could be talked into a trade too.

Name:  IMG_1309.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  74.5 KB

Rhetoric 24 - "orphan barrels" from an old distillery

https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/w...etoric-series/

It's the only one of the series I've had but interesting nonetheless to drink aged bourbon