Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I enjoy tormenting people that think Jack Daniel's is bourbon.
    I have berated many a bartender that responded with Jack Daniels when I asked what kind of bourbon they had.

At our company Christmas party I asked the Ethiopian Bartender for a Bourbon and Ginger. She started pouring Scotch in a glass. When I stopped her and said "No, bourbon" she looked at me like I was high and said "I know - it's whiskey. This is the Whiskey I have." I pointed to the bottle of Beam behind her, laughed, and asked her if that was Vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Oh my, I have a new contender. I found a bottle of this under the tree:

http://www.stranahans.com/index.php?q=story

Much like the Hudson's Baby Bourbon I was raving about upthread, but this has somewhat less vanilla and caramel than that. It's great and costs about half of the Hudson's. Superb top-shelf stuff, ungodly smooth.

Colorado, who knew?

^^^^This FTW. I had to have (4) bottles of this shipped out here to I-de-ho for the holidays as there was none to be found state wide. An absolute perfect sipper. Very buttery, with "peaty" notes here and there. Served 3 fingers neat, in a rocks glass of course.

Stranahan's is the first distillery in the nation to use a combination "pot/column" still in the distilling of their whiskey. They (Jess Graber) had Vendome Copper Co make one specially for them, and with this, their whiskey is imparted with both Bourbon and Scotch notes. Single malt, small batch combination. They define it as "Colorado Whiskey" as it doesn't fit easily into any category due to the experimental nature of the production.

*Highly* recommended.

Fats-

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    At our company Christmas party I asked the Ethiopian Bartender for a Bourbon and Ginger. She started pouring Scotch in a glass. When I stopped her and said "No, bourbon" she looked at me like I was high and said "I know - it's whiskey. This is the Whiskey I have." I pointed to the bottle of Beam behind her, laughed, and asked her if that was Vodka.

At the other end of the spectrum:

About 16-18 for a handle and still 86 proof. If you are mixing, its a waste to use the good sipping stuff. EW is tasty.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

My bottle of basil hayden's is almost empty, I know I love that on the rocks.... but would like to find another great sipping bourbon, I'll sift through the thread and figure something out, but anyone have something good to recommend?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    My bottle of basil hayden's is almost empty, I know I love that on the rocks.... but would like to find another great sipping bourbon, I'll sift through the thread and figure something out, but anyone have something good to recommend?

Russels Reserve by Wild Turkey, less expensive than Basil and very tasty. Actually Wild Turkey has a couple small batch offerings that are great sipping bourbons.

Blantons, very good, but dear in cost.

Knob Creek, good but a little harder flavor than the above offerings IMO
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

I'm an absolute Woodford Reserve slut, but will swear by that as an affordibly priced higer end bourbon. Also reccomend Eagle Rare. I prefer smooth carmel and vanilla notes so keep that in mind. I think if you like Basil you will definately enjoy these two. Woodford's Masters Collection is nice too if you want more depth and flavor in my opinion. (not to mention more $$$)

I've never gone wrong with any (most) of the other suggestions in this thread of really high end stuff but I have to agree with Whipper, the Four Roses single barrel is truly nice as well.

Had a tasting of all of Hudson's offerings at NYC's WD-50 a couple months back including their "white" whiskey or unaged corn whiskey (which is the base of their "baby bourbon") and I found the baby bourbon disappointing. The 4 grain was nice, but the "New York Corn Whiskey" (white) was garbage. I've had better 'shine around here year-in, year-out than that crap.

+1 for all who mentioned that despite the law, there is something to be said about straight bourbon from Kentucky.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    George Stagg is regoddamndiculously good. Woodsy told me about it and I had to buy a bottle. Drooool.

I recently bought a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. That stuff's yummy too.

I can't believe I missed whippersnappers post earlier. The article on Pappy was awesome reading. Thank you sir for sharing.
    Why, thankee. I must retreat a little. I still like all that I mentioned, but there is something else. I really have different reactions to different bottles of the same type and year. I expect that when I feel one bourbon is somehow harsh one one day and another is smooth, then get the reverse results another day, it is my chemistry that day. Sometimes letting the bottle or glass breathe for many hours makes it better, sometimes not. And yet, on a given bourbon-tasting there is more unanimity on how a given bourbon tastes--I don't believe it's entirely groupthink. So.... I hope I have muddied the waters. Or barrels. Speculation: some people (= me) are more chemically challenged than others, and are moody imbibers.

BMills, it's funny that Woodford is not liked too much among my local besnotted pals. I had some basic WR a while back and didn't fancy it. But a WR special batch was first class. As above, I'll bet that if I buy a standard WR bottle, some days I'll love it and some days not. So I urge others and myself to take make recommendations with a pinch of salt. Wait! That's not wh

Everyone please be safe and moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

About 16-18 for a handle and still 86 proof. If you are mixing, its a waste to use the good sipping stuff. EW is tasty.
    Their egg nog is awesome.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

About 30 years ago I had a roommate who drank about 1/3rd of a 1.75 ltr bottle of Evan Williams on a bet. After he painted most of the walls with projectile Evan Williams barf, I can't even go near that stuff.

I recently started drinking Buffalo Trace and it's replaced Woodford Reserve as my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    I recently started drinking Buffalo Trace and it's replaced Woodford Reserve as my favorite.
    Same here, except I replaced Knobb Creek. Buffalo Trace is anywhere from $3-15 cheaper, and my worst hangover in recent memory was thanks to KC. Time to part ways for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Buffalo Trace makes all these bourbons:

* Ancient Age — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Blanton's — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * Buffalo Trace — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Eagle Rare — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * Elmer T. Lee — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * George T. Stagg — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (barrel proof, uncut, unfiltered)
    * Hancock's President's Reserve — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single single barrel)
    * McAfee's Benchmark — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Old Charter — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Old Rip Van Winkle — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (wheated)
    * Old Taylor — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Clermont
    * Pappy Van Winkle — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Louisville (wheated)
    * Rock Hill Farms Single-Barrel — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * W.L. Weller — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (wheated)

Thanks for the suggestions....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Buffalo Trace makes all these bourbons:

* Ancient Age — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Blanton's — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * Buffalo Trace — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Eagle Rare — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * Elmer T. Lee — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * George T. Stagg — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (barrel proof, uncut, unfiltered)
    * Hancock's President's Reserve — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single single barrel)
    * McAfee's Benchmark — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Old Charter — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort
    * Old Rip Van Winkle — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (wheated)
    * Old Taylor — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Clermont
    * Pappy Van Winkle — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Louisville (wheated)
    * Rock Hill Farms Single-Barrel — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (single barrel)
    * W.L. Weller — Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Frankfort (wheated)
    Wow. I had no idea. I guess that kinda explains why I like Pappy Van Winkle, too.

Eagle Rare is good stuff.

With that said and digressing, one of the guys brought Jack D's single barrel to the mountain, which was shared by all after shift. Good stuff.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Eagle Rare is good stuff.

With that said and digressing, one of the guys brought Jack D's single barrel to the mountain, which was shared by all after shift. Good stuff.
    Not really bourbon though is it ?? Still sour mash, and it gives major hangovers as well as a kick ass drunk I think.

Yes to Eagle Rare, all the small batch, Wild Turkey offerings are good I think.

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Not really bourbon though is it ?? Still sour mash, and it gives major hangovers as well as a kick ass drunk I think.

Yes to Eagle Rare, all the small batch, Wild Turkey offerings are good I think.
    Eagle Rare is not a Wild Turkey brand. You're thinking "Rare Breed."

Gotta get my grubby Paws on some Stagg. Hard to find around heah, for some reason.

Good cheap bourbon: Bulleit.

Eagle Rare is not a Wild Turkey brand. You're thinking "Rare Breed."

Gotta get my grubby Paws on some Stagg. Hard to find around heah, for some reason.

Good cheap bourbon: Bulleit.

Yep thanks Tip, Buffalo Trace is the distillery, and it's the 10 yr. old stuff I've had.

Get your ass up here and we'll hit up "Bourbon" in Glover Park.

Get your ass up here and we'll hit up "Bourbon" in Glover Park.
    Probably gonna be passin' thru sometime in the next month or two. Going to Baltimore for some CAD training classes.

Thumbs up 12 v 17

Eagle Rare is very good indeed.

I just "stumbled" onto some Eagle Rare 17 over Christmas.

Even better! Hard to find however.

It's hard to find everywhere. I've only seen it in one liquor store, and I snatched that sucker up right away. They're now out too. Thankfully, I've been nursing my bottle.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by amatog View Post
    ...I just "stumbled" onto some Eagle Rare 17 over Christmas...
    "Well do I remember the time I first stumbled across a bottle of the Devil's brew: I stumbled several days thereafter."
    -W.C. Fields

Not a bourbon expert, but I have become fond of Michter's US #1 Small Batch Bourbon.