Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1924
    Had some Pappy 16 the other day. Friend of mine in the booze biz bought the bourbon collection of his retiring boss, 150 bottles with various fills.

Really good, but not substantially better than some others I’ve tasted.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Is this in Idaho? Potential I will pass through there at some point. I have that powder alliance thing do you ever hit Bogus or Schweitzer?
    Yessir. Bogus is our local hill and plenty of others somewhat close.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Maybe we need to start listing bars with good lists. In downtown Boise, The Whiskey Bar, Tavern in Owyhee, and North End Pizza have good variety lists.

Given the scarcity of some hooch, I’ve been hoarding as I see things pop up on shelves. Can't get the pic vertical but if you heathens are in town, hit me up for sip.
    good shit. big big fan of the henry mckenna single barrel. whatever type of EH taylor that is, you sure got a nice stockpile. never see the EH single barrel or barrel proof on shelves around here.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Had some Pappy 16 the other day. Friend of mine in the booze biz bought the bourbon collection of his retiring boss, 150 bottles with various fills.

My thoughts exactly. Pappy is a bit hyped imho

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

The most recent Stagg Jr. Fall 2019, batch 12? Is very nice on a cold evening.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

16?

Pappy is not worth the hype, agreed. But chum the water and they all want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

Pappy is not worth the hype, agreed. But chum the water and they all want it.
    This reminded me of a story from last week.
    Was in my local pub watching a match and dude comes in who is obv the bartenders friend or boy friend.
    she wants to stoke him out with a whiskey and shows him the 10 yo Old Rip Van Winkle which he says hell yeah to.
    She checks the price and its $25 a pour. $25?!? FFS I swear they rushed out with that cheaper version when pappy mania first hit and you could get the 15 yo for less than that in bars in Manhattan. $25 in Stamford, CT for Old Rip??!? fuck that She balks at pouring it

She gave him a Redbreast 15, which is a righteous Irish Whiskey so he won

But yeah the Pappy Hype train is fucking crazy. I have had them all and still prefer the Original George T Stagg to the 23yo. There are a ton of Bourbons I would drink b4 the others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    This reminded me of a story from last week.
    Was in my local pub watching a match and dude comes in who is obv the bartenders friend or boy friend.
    she wants to stoke him out with a whiskey and shows him the 10 yo Old Rip Van Winkle which he says hell yeah to.
    She checks the price and its $25 a pour. $25?!? FFS I swear they rushed out with that cheaper version when pappy mania first hit and you could get the 15 yo for less than that in bars in Manhattan. $25 in Stamford, CT for Old Rip??!? fuck that She balks at pouring it

She gave him a Redbreast 15, which is a righteous Irish Whiskey so he won

But yeah the Pappy Hype train is fucking crazy. I have had them all and still prefer the Original George T Stagg to the 23yo. There are a ton of Bourbons I would drink b4 the others too.
    the only places it makes sense are regulated states like Utah. When Utah gets Pappy shipments they typically announce which stores will get what, the people still line up and stock goes fast, but its only cost + state tax. No price gouging allowed. Its like the only good thing about Utah's odd liquor laws.

I assume that (a small) part of the reason that many accounts charge a premium price for the rare whiskeys is to curb their patrons' consumption a bit. How quickly would that bottle of 10y be gone if a couple bros walked in and saw it for $8 a pour? Ain't like the bar can just order another case, ya know?

Despite it's meteoric rise in popularity, buff trace hasn't pushed the wholesale costs of the pappy and antique stuff through the roof. They've raised prices, but certainly not in line with demand. For that they ought to be applauded because they probably could have taken a fair amount more profit from those brands if it aligned with their vision.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Personally, I like all the Pappy expressions enough to pay msrp...except maybe the 23. The problem is finding it at msrp.

My LLS raffles off chances to buy their allocated stuff at msrp, and the money you buy the raffle tickets with goes straight into a gift card that you get to keep. Win-win. The Pappy 23 price was ~$250. I scored a bottle of George T. Stagg at the raffle - $100. I was happy.

The day after Thanksgiving this year an old buddy of mine was in town from the mountains so we set out for a big night in the city. It was perfect, no amateurs as they were all cashed from the day before Thanksgiving.

We head into one of my favorite cocktail bars and the server welcomes us saying welcome to friends and family Friday. We say what’s that? She says every Friday after Thanksgiving they grab the good shit off the shelf and sell it at cost.

We had Pappy 15 for $5 a pour, GTS for $10 and Eagle Rare 17 for $7.

Needless to say by the time we left we were very happy and very lit.
    I still call it The Jake.

I stumbled across these while looking for an Irish for the LBS Christmas party. Just came in this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The day after Thanksgiving this year an old buddy of mine was in town from the mountains so we set out for a big night in the city. It was perfect, no amateurs as they were all cashed from the day before Thanksgiving.

We head into one of my favorite cocktail bars and the server welcomes us saying welcome to friends and family Friday. We say what’s that? She says every Friday after Thanksgiving they grab the good shit off the shelf and sell it at cost.

We had Pappy 15 for $5 a pour, GTS for $10 and Eagle Rare 17 for $7.

Needless to say by the time we left we were very happy and very lit.
    tip of the cap.
    Love places like that.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I stumbled across these while looking for an Irish for the LBS Christmas party. Just came in this morning.

you are happy, very happy

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post

Don’t drink it all in one place...or do.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Don’t drink it all in one place...or do.
    I’ll probably drink it all in one place. Probably not at the same time, though.

Just not behind the wheel, I'd hate for you to spill any.
    I still call it The Jake.

I noticed Weller got delivered yesterday too. Saw the truck at the liquor store and they had got one bottle of Antique in and I grabbed it. Left 6 bottles of green label they got on the shelf for some other lucky last minute shoppers. Shhhhh don't tell anyone before Christmas . . .

Anyone notice a recent spike in price for Buffalo Trace products?
    Stagg Jr was up $30 and Eagle Rare up $13 from Nov at the LLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Anyone notice a recent spike in price for Buffalo Trace products?
    Stagg Jr was up $30 and Eagle Rare up $13 from Nov at the LLS.
    say it aint so...

Eagle Rare is already in 55 CDN pesos... if it bumps up to the next price bracket, I am gonna have to change brands.... or drink less.

Neither sound like appealing options.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Stagg Jr has been hovering around $50 for awhile here when you can find it. I have a couple bottle I'd swap for some Weller SR if anyone wanted to.

I guess I should've bought the Stagg Jr priced at $79.99. It was $149.99 at another store. WTF!
    Buffalo Trace was bumped up to $37.99 as well.
    It's almost enough to make me stop drinking.

Why do you guys shell out that kind of money for those overhyped brands? Buy some WT 101, Russell’s or Rare Breed and call it good. Or Evan Williams SB or Elijah Craig. Find a local hipster that knows what he’s doing (though some of them are overpriced too). There is so much good bourbon out there nowadays, you don’t have to spend crazy money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownskii View Post
    Why do you guys shell out that kind of money for those overhyped brands? Buy some WT 101, Russell’s or Rare Breed and call it good. Or Evan Williams SB or Elijah Craig. Find a local hipster that knows what he’s doing (though some of them are overpriced too). There is so much good bourbon out there nowadays, you don’t have to spend crazy money.
    Because I like irritating people on the internet who like to judge how I spend my money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D633CC8-210E-47F9-85BB-E3160432699E.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	307127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B473A1D0-1980-4CFE-BAFF-76720BE9D162.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	307128  

Quote Originally Posted by Brownskii View Post
    Would that be the same hipster that drinks PBR?
    Elijah Craig is my go to when I can't find Buffalo Trace.
    I'm not a fan of the WT stuff. Too much rye maybe.
    IMO Stagg Jr at $49.99 is a great value on an excellent bourbon.