Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1924
    A couple of more-or-less recent finds that come in under $50 at Total Wine that blew my socks off were Knob Creek Single Barrel Select (120 proof) and 1792 Full Proof. IMO those are really great values. I like ‘big’ whiskies with depth. Those two have it. I stocked up.

That 1792 Full Proof has been getting a lot of attention, might get hard to find, but the local Total Wine had a shelf full.

The finest bourbon I have tasted. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Over the holidays I had several people enjoy it, and one who wouldnt stop drinking it. No "fucking terrible"s, but i get the reaction. Did you try to drink it neat or something?
    I don’t generally add extra things to good whisky. Is that the trick here? Add water and ice so you can’t taste it?

Philistine. (Though I might try that, since I do enjoy a good drink and the mating of bourbon and scotch intrigues me.)
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I don’t generally add extra things to good whisky. Is that the trick here? Add water and ice so you can’t taste it?

Philistine. (Though I might try that, since I do enjoy a good drink and the mating of bourbon and scotch intrigues me.)
    You're not adding it to good whiskey, you're adding it to the shit bourbon you're mixing with the good whiskey!

Bed-and-breakfast owners find second batch of vintage whisky in 103-year-old house

PENDLETON — A Pendleton bed-and-breakfast might have to change its name to Whiskey House.

For the second time, vintage bottles of whiskey have been discovered inside the 103-year-old Pendleton House during renovations.

In 2016, three bottles of Scotch whisky showed up during removal of a built-in chest of drawers in a bedroom once inhabited by original owners Lowell and Minnie Rogers. As current owners, Tracy Bosen and Kevin Michel removed the 5-foot-long drawers, they noticed a hidden compartment in a place where the dresser and a perpendicular shoe bin converged.

Inside was a trio of bottles of Teacher’s Highland Cream Blended Scotch Whisky (the traditional Scottish spelling). They saw no dates, but noticed the yellowed newspaper in which the bottles were wrapped bore the date Dec. 19, 1930. The date fell smack into the nationwide ban on alcohol lasting from 1920 to 1933.

This week, more bottles of whiskey were discovered in the house’s attic. The find came 100 years almost to the day after the nation went dry on Jan. 17, 1920.

Last Monday, John Harp, hired to install insulation in the home’s upper story, found the bottles as he pulled stored objects away from the outer walls. As he moved a pile of old terra cotta tiles in a dark corner, something caught his eye.

“I was moving the tiles and noticed some burlap,” he said. “I gave it a tug.”

After hearing the clink of glass, he investigated, opening the burlap bag. Inside were 10 pint bottles of 100 proof Comet Whiskey separated by paper. The labels proclaimed the liquor was made in Kentucky in 1913 and aged in wood.

Bosen, working on the main floor, found out about Harp’s discovery when the workman hurried noisily down the house’s ornate staircase.

“I heard John quickly stomping downstairs,” Bosen said.

They trekked back to the attic where they stared at the cache of bottles. No way, Bosen thought, not again. He grinned and called his partner.

“He said, ‘You better come home — we found more whiskey,’” said Michel, who at first thought Bosen was joking.

The pair peered at the bottles. The label said the whiskey was “bottled in bond,” which refers to the Bottle-In-Bond Act of 1897, in effect the country’s first consumer protection law. The law required that whiskey must be the product of a single distillery, aged in a federally bonded warehouse for four years and bottled at 100 proof.

These bottles weren’t in as pristine a condition as the first cache of bottles. A few bore cracks. One contained only sediment.

Since buying the house at 311 N. Main in 2014, Bosen and Michel have found other clues about past occupants. When they tore out the dumbwaiter, they found a large stack of stogie butts.

Lowell Rogers, the house’s original owner with his wife Minnie, was reportedly a cigar smoker.

“There were a bunch of stogie butts on top of the dumbwaiter box,” Bosen said. “He had stuck them through a knothole and they had landed there.”

The men have heard plenty of stories of a still in the house and how Mr. Rogers may have moonlighted from his day job as founder and owner of the Rogers cannery.

“A gentleman came to the house and said that as a kid he and his father would come here during Prohibition,” Bosen said. “As a kid, he didn’t know what was going on. As they would shake hands and part, Mr. Rogers handed his father a brown paper bag with something shaped like a bottle inside.”

Bosen and Michel, who are partners in business and in life, fell in love with the 7,000-square-foot house when it belonged to last owner and friend Marijo Baird. The home boasts ornate ceilings, thick walls, four garages, a chandelier in a bathroom and a four-person elevator installed in 1947 for the Rogers’ daughter Gwendolyn, who had polio.

One year in the 1920s, the high school held the prom in the basement. Many of the rooms remain a pale pink, Mrs. Rogers’ favorite color. After a trip to Italy in 1922, Mrs. Rogers had the brick home covered in stucco and painted in pinkish hues.

The couple, whose wealth came from a pea growing and canning operation, often held parties at the home.

“I have this image of this house as a party place, but not in a negative way,” Bosen said. “People came here to be entertained. They were gracious and very generous.”

The couple was also known for its philanthropic giving, Michel said.

Ernest and Carolyn Rostock, who bought the house in 1988 for $110,000, transformed the home into a bed-and-breakfast.

Bosen and Michel aren’t yet sure what they will do with their growing collection of Prohibition-era whiskey. When they remodel the third story into a guest suite, they may call it the Whiskey Room. Both men love a good glass of whiskey, so they are considering uncorking one or more of the bottles, but then again, maybe not.

“These are treasures that belong to the house,” Bosen said. “I don’t even care about finding gold coins or stock certificates. This is just perfect.”

If they do open any of the whiskey, Michel said, the uncorking would likely take place on July 4, the day Lowell Rogers died in 1954.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Great story
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Enjoying this at the moment. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3071.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	315712

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I stumbled across these while looking for an Irish for the LBS Christmas party. Just came in this morning.

Weller 12 is outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    Weller 12 is outstanding
    I still have a bottle left from the last allocation here. It’s getting harder to collect the whole set, though.

A few weeks ago I did a taste comparison between Weller 107 and Weller Full Proof. While Weller 107 was one of my favorite bourbons I prefer the Full Proof version more.

I can’t believe I just found this 11 yo thread. Awesome Bouncing through history of the bourbon boom as you read through it. I can’t believe there hasn’t been more quiver pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	817EE942-B31E-41C9-A1AB-D918B2C70B86.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	315866
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    I can’t believe I just found this 11 yo thread. Awesome Bouncing through history of the bourbon boom as you read through it. I can’t believe there hasn’t been more quiver pictures

Name:	817EE942-B31E-41C9-A1AB-D918B2C70B86.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	315866
    As I understand it open bottles are subject to air once the seal is cracked. Over time flavor profiles and quality will go down. Better to open a few and finish before moving on.
    That "quiver" pic looks more like a tasting of some sort, not necessarily a personal collection. Care to share more info?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    As I understand it open bottles are subject to air once the seal is cracked. Over time flavor profiles and quality will go down. Better to open a few and finish before moving on.
    That "quiver" pic looks more like a tasting of some sort, not necessarily a personal collection. Care to share more info?

Not necessarily true—some bottles need to be opened to get some air and taste a hell of a lot better. I find it fairly uncommon that a bottle will get worse with air.

I’ve had several open for 2 years and can’t taste a difference from the day they were first cracked. Sure it might taste different if you left it in a cup on the shelf, but closed in a bottle isn’t a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Not necessarily true—some bottles need to be opened to get some air and taste a hell of a lot better. I find it fairly uncommon that a bottle will get worse with air.

I’ve had several open for 2 years and can’t taste a difference from the day they were first cracked. Sure it might taste different if you left it in a cup on the shelf, but closed in a bottle isn’t a big deal.
    ^ This
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-bourbon-go-bad/
    Just saying. Flavor will change with air. It's called oxidization. I'm sure you've all heard of it. Sure, it's not "bad" but if your pallette is good you can note the differences. However despite what you claim it's more or less wrong. Now if you like it better oxidized maybe those profiles are the ones you like more. As noted, bourbon only "ages" in oak. Once in the bottle the flavors are only changing due to elements. Air, light, and heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I just received Russel's Reserve 10 yr Bourbon as a gift from a friend. I've enjoyed this bourbon for a while so it was a good gift.
    Anytime I can find Russel’s 10 yr for under $30, I will buy it. You really can’t go wrong with it but some places have it marked up over $40 and it’s just not THAT good.

It’s is a personal collection. This pic was from around 2 yrs ago. Air and UV can change the profile of bourbon. Most of my opens don’t last more than 6-8 months. Most bottles don’t change drastically in 2-3 months in my experience. Some bottles have changed for the better after being exposed to air the corked for 6+ months, old forge was a great example, tasted like oak dust day one and mellowed out to a nice sip’r when I came back to it maybe a year later.

Updated last 6 months shot

Name:	FF21BDC9-A6F4-4BCC-916B-E35D18E64C01.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	745.5 KB 
ID:	315911
    Harvest the ride.

Love those older bottlings of Elijah barrel proof! IMO that's still the single best value in domestic whiskey today.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

It’s is a personal collection. This pic was from around 2 yrs ago. Air and UV can change the profile of bourbon. Most of my opens don’t last more than 6-8 months. Most bottles don’t change drastically in 2-3 months in my experience. Some bottles have changed for the better after being exposed to air the corked for 6+ months, old forge was a great example, tasted like oak dust day one and mellowed out to a nice sip’r when I came back to it maybe a year later.

Updated last 6 months shot

Name:	FF21BDC9-A6F4-4BCC-916B-E35D18E64C01.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	745.5 KB 
ID:	315911
    Wow that's a collection.

I too find that air and temp don't really have a huge effect before the 1yr mark. Most bottled are gone before then. I sure don't stock like you. Keep a few (maybe 7) on hand at varying levels and stock/change as needed.

About 1/3rd of my collection with some non bourbons mixed in. The rest of the stuff isn’t open and is older bottlings or stuff I stashed from when I lived in KY.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2437.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	315935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2438.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	315936

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Super nice stash. Where in Kentucky did you live?
    Harvest the ride.

Super nice stash. Where in Kentucky did you live?
    8 yrs in Louisville.

Grew up there and skiing paoli and perfect north
    Harvest the ride.

I'm more of a scotch guy, but sounds like some group whiskey drinking is in order

That full proof 1792 single barrel is pretty slick! Was that a store pick for a local retailer?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    That full proof 1792 single barrel is pretty slick! Was that a store pick for a local retailer?
    Yep it’s pretty decent—I have a couple of em from different stores. Happy to send a sample.

The biggest bummer has been that the four roses private selections have gone way down in age—I still have some 10+ yr bottles stashed but everything I see now is 8-9 years. The current open two are both 11yrs and change and are wonderful.